Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR Data: Random spike in flow rate
RE: OSCAR Data: Random spike in flow rate
Rich66 that doesn't look like a real leak, at a minimum isn't a mouth or mask leak as it is too consistent. It is constant every minute his machine is on, fixed low amplitude (2-3) and the strangest part is that it doesn't change as the pressure changes (I would expect it to if it was a real leak). I would just ignore it although could check hose and humidifier tank to see if you can hear any leaks from them. Also could check that the machine is set to full face mask type as I think that could effect this as well.

The one thing I just noticed looking at data again is how PS range is handcuffed to 3-8 cm instead of standard 3-15 cm. This reduces the machines effectiveness to combat central apnea and there are times that the pressure is maxing out and the machine wants to do more. I assume you handcuffed this because of the aerophagia which is a valid reason to do so but it is worth noting that you are limiting the machines effectiveness and if you are able to work up to 3-10 or 3-12 etc over time then it will make the machine more capable.
Post Reply Post Reply
is there a reason your ps max is limited to 8? if prone to centrals & you can tolerate it, it's my understanding that asv treats central apnea best with unrestricted max ps.

edit: oops, cross posted w geer1 who already pointed this out.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2021, 02:40 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: On the OSCAR chart I saw, leaks hit a Max of 4.8. Yes, there's a small consistent leak trace, but it should be OK unless it's a disturbance. My own ASV use, I frequently had Max leaks at 10 or so with my Fisher and Paykel Vitera.

I'm not sure where the leaks are coming from, I don't feel any leaks around the mask side, the elbow connector has holes and the mask itself has the vent holes so could those be identified as "leaks"? I also have a small beard so maybe that small constant leak is from there?

I am listening to audiobooks to try to fall asleep sleep for about 1hr or so beforehand to try to adjust to it, that has helped tons to actually fall asleep.

For the blow-back, you said it's wake->sleep transition. doesn't the voluntary blow-back put you at an awake state? 

Thanks again for all the help and happy new year!

(12-29-2021, 01:19 PM)Geer1 Wrote: I get similar spikes from spontaneous arousal and it can get frustrating not knowing what to do but at least in your case you are still early in treatment. 

Got it, I'll power through for the next couple of months and reassess then Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
The blow back is a technique to use any time you are already awake and you feel the machine is trying to uncomfortably force you to breath. These ASV machines target maintaining 90% of your previous spontaneous ventilation so if you breath really heavily and then try to breath lightly it will try to force you to breath more by increasing the pressure. My understanding is that blowing back hard effectively tells the machine to stop doing that which which allows you to get comfortable and fall back to sleep. If you don't feel that the machine is pushing you around then you don't need to worry about it, it is just something I brought up in case it was why you were discontinuing use shortly after arousal as arousal breaths are large amplitude and can force the machine to target a higher ventilation then what you find comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, yes, Geer1 has it explained well. What I forgot, because I just expected you to follow along and automatically be on the same page. On the wake to sleep transition I was describing, a bit more detail injected. Wake transitioning to sleep with ASV purring away, mask is on. Then the respiration stumbled or pauses a bit. ASV sees a Central. ASV blows. AHHH! NOW! You have been awaked with the ASV blowing your socks off. Now, you are in an awakened state. Enact blow-back. And put your socks back on, slow your heart a bit, and try to sleep. Easy peasy.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the mask is on top of the beard, that could certainly be a source of the leak.

To me, a constant leak value suggests an equipment issue of some sort. Try running your hand along the length of the hose and see if there is a small leak in the hose. It only takes a pinhole. Regardless, your machine will compensate for the leak. A small leak like that has no effect on therapy.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you already have a lot of great advice here. I'm going to remember that blowback part though, for when I (hopefully) get onto ASV.

Honestly, if your equipment all seems okay and that minimal leak is staying steady, as the others have said, don't worry about it. The machine can more than compensate for that tiny leak. I only saw that kind of steady leak one time and I'm not sure if it was because I forgot to switch between Full Face and Pillows in the settings, or if maybe my humidifier was a tiny bit loose. But it looked just like that, a REALLY steady, low leak that resolved when I rejigged everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2022, 06:57 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: OK, yes, Geer1 has it explained well. What I forgot, because I just expected you to follow along and automatically be on the same page. On the wake to sleep transition I was describing, a bit more detail injected. Wake transitioning to sleep with ASV purring away, mask is on. Then the respiration stumbled or pauses a bit. ASV sees a Central. ASV blows. AHHH! NOW! You have been awaked with the ASV blowing your socks off. Now, you are in an awakened state. Enact blow-back. And put your socks back on, slow your heart a bit, and try to sleep. Easy peasy.

Coffee

Thanks for clarifying that does make sense! I think sometimes when I do wake the machine is basting air in my face after so I'll give the blow back technique a try Smile

(01-02-2022, 03:26 AM)Ratchick Wrote: Sounds like you already have a lot of great advice here. I'm going to remember that blowback part though, for when I (hopefully) get onto ASV.

Honestly, if your equipment all seems okay and that minimal leak is staying steady, as the others have said, don't worry about it. The machine can more than compensate for that tiny leak. I only saw that kind of steady leak one time and I'm not sure if it was because I forgot to switch between Full Face and Pillows in the settings, or if maybe my humidifier was a tiny bit loose. But it looked just like that, a REALLY steady, low leak that resolved when I rejigged everything.

That's a good point, I'll look for leaks on the hose but sounds like it's not a big enough leak to make a difference. Thanks for the input!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 7 221 47 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 18 1 hour ago
Last Post: ahuman
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 35 2 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 236 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 105 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 403 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.