Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
RE: Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
Cover-Roll. I cut a 2" x 3" piece. If I try to go smaller, it increases the chance of leaking at the corners of my mouth. Adheres great and does not hurt lips. I do use my tongue to remove the tape from my lips in the AM.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've read plenty of mouth taping responses, and I can't ever imagine a situation or circumstance in which I'd allow my mouth to be taped shut........for any reason.  Oh-jeez

Then again, I never thought I'd be sleeping with a stupid mask on my face either.  Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
3M Nexcare

One vertical strip through the middle. That's all. It's just enough to remind myself to keep my mouth closed - not to seal every little possibility of airflow.

Mouth taping must be popular. My sleep doc, after I mentioned it, immediately asked "which brand?" and made a note.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a wonderful post.
I need to find a better tape than the Nexcare "gentle" that I'm using sometimes.

Dav
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried Nexcare last night but it gave me some anxiety and made me swallow a lot of saliva constantly, especially with shut lips (I have an overbite). I ended up leaving a gap in between the lips with the tape in place and it still worked fine. I am finding however if I practice resting my tongue on the roof of my mouth more doesn't require tape and can still have my mouth open. Perhaps that is the better long term solution?

(12-03-2021, 03:00 PM)DaveL Wrote: This is a wonderful post.
I need to find a better tape than the Nexcare "gentle" that I'm using sometimes.

Dav

Agree it is a bit aggressive when coming off. I try to work some of the adhesive off on my clean shirt, but it ends up being overly sticky.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use 2 inch Nexcare paper tape which works very well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2021, 09:39 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I've read plenty of mouth taping responses, and I can't ever imagine a situation or circumstance in which I'd allow my mouth to be taped shut........for any reason.  Oh-jeez

Then again, I never thought I'd be sleeping with a stupid mask on my face either.  Sad

Me either.

Then I got a stage 2 pressure sore on the bridge of my nose.

Oops

It turned out (for me) to be the choice between mouth taping and pillows, or go back to no CPAP and crippling migraines, confusion, and feeling like I'd been hit by a truck.

My biggest fear wasn't actually suffocating... it was that I would throw up. So to ease my fear, I create a quick-release tab at one end (by folding the end of the tape over beyond the corner of my mouth) and I can rip that sucker off in less than a second if I have to. It also makes it a little easier to get the tape removal started when I'm still sleepy so I don't have to pick at my face.

Three weeks, and I had a nice, healthy nose again. SO worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use and like Medvance silicone tape.  It's soft and comfortable, removes easily, can be put back on easily and the same piece can be used for several days in a row.  Also, oddly, I don't use any balm on my lips with it anymore, and my lips are LESS dry than when I used lots of goop and no tape. I use a pretty long strip, about 5-1/2 inches so that nothing seeps out the sides.

Here's a link:  https://www.amazon.com/Medvance-Soft-Sil...op?ie=UTF8
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2022, 11:39 AM)Ratchick Wrote: Me either.

Then I got a stage 2 pressure sore on the bridge of my nose.

Oops

It turned out (for me) to be the choice between mouth taping and pillows, or go back to no CPAP and crippling migraines, confusion, and feeling like I'd been hit by a truck.

My biggest fear wasn't actually suffocating... it was that I would throw up. So to ease my fear, I create a quick-release tab at one end (by folding the end of the tape over beyond the corner of my mouth) and I can rip that sucker off in less than a second if I have to. It also makes it a little easier to get the tape removal started when I'm still sleepy so I don't have to pick at my face.

Three weeks, and I had a nice, healthy nose again. SO worth it.

I am a recent convert to taping my mouth shut
And  a soft cervical collar.

I'm starting to like it.

Ratchick I'm happy to hear it is working for you.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using BSN, Fleximull in Europe and I think it's also called Leukoplast in other countries, Cover Roll tape since Feb of last year. For me it works. I'm comfortable with it.
I do make a little tab on the edge so it's easier to remove, and I do take my time removing it in the morning as it's easy to pull skin.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Novel alternative to tape? HalfAsleep 0 16 32 minutes ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 849 6 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 113 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 114 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 638 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 364 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.