Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
Question 
Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
I started mouth taping again, this time in conjunction with a new SCC, to try to keep my numbers down further. 

It's been a qualified success: my numbers are generally better, but I've been having a devil of a time keeping the tape on during the night. As before, the tape on the corners of my mouth gets wet when I shift to my side, and then the tape adhesive comes loose in that side. I then get a mouth leak that wakes me up at least once per night, often due to a really dry mouth.

What types of tape are others using? I've tried paper tape and the "blue tape". The blue tape has worked somewhat better, but even though it's supposed to be "water resistant", it still fails in the corners. (At least when it dries, it seems to reattach somewhat, unlike the paper tape.) The blue tape also seems to lose its grip if it's repositioned even once when first applying.

I also once tried what I think is Transpore (don't have the box anymore - it may not be the same), and that came loose worse than paper tape.

Also, how exactly are people applying the tape: tight lips, puckered mouth, something other positioning? Part of my problem may be that the SCC is less effective when I'm lying on my side, which then causes the jaw to drop a bit and tape to pull. Once thing that I'm also fighting is that I have a full beard, so I can only extend the tape so far past the corners of my mouth before the tape really doesn't stick.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
I use Sleep Strips by SomniFix Just so you know it peals off of a backing that you  can put it back onto in the morning instead of throwing it away.  I get 3 or 4 nights off of one strip.  Also it does not extend past the lips, stays on and comes off easily.  They seem expensive but if you can reuse them several times (like I do) it is not that much.  I get them on Amazon. 
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I use hypoallergenic white bandaid.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2020, 02:12 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I use Sleep Strips by SomniFix Just so you know it peals off of a backing that you  can put it back onto in the morning instead of throwing it away.  I get 3 or 4 nights off of one strip.  Also it does not extend past the lips, stays on and comes off easily.  They seem expensive but if you can reuse them several times (like I do) it is not that much.  I get them on Amazon. 

How do they work with drool? I drool and anything I used except bandaid would peel off after an hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2020, 02:20 PM)ardenum Wrote: I use hypoallergenic white bandaid.

Which one is that? Is it the one that kind of looks like old-school adhesive tape, that they call their "Water Block waterproof tape"?

How easily does it come off in the morning?
Post Reply Post Reply
I had no problems with it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Micropore 2 inch tape (full face makes my AHI go crazy and I cannot use a nose mask without tape as I leak like crazy). It does not come loose (it takes my skin off with it if I don't use 3M Cavilon barrier film which is annoying but the two together work well for me). I also had luck with Walmart's version of Micropore (not nearly as sticky once bonded to the skin) but last I looked they do not have 1.5 or 2 inch widths and I find 1 inch too small.

I am going to try Durapore next. I also got a free sample of Hy-Tape. While the initial adhesion was good it is a plastic tape and I found after about 4-5 hours moisture builds up and it loses its adhesive. There are some other brands out there I would like to try but again Durapore is my next selection.

When I use tape, I press my lips together and in and press the tape onto the skin over and over again and keep my lips pressed/tucked until it is adhered (with Micropore this takes a couple of minutes). A 6 pack of 2 inch rolls of Micropore has lasted me a year and it is cheap on Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use 3M Corp.'s NexCare 2.4 cmm wide 'water resistant' white tape that comes in a white plastic spool holding 12 meters of tape.

It is easily torn by hand, easy to apply, and easily removed.  The trick to any suitable tape is applying a sufficient length that it extends about 8mm past the 'corners' of your mouth due to the problem with seepage you describe.  Also, when you get it into position, take the time to firmly press it into place all over the surface of the tape using your fingertips.

Second tip: fold over a small tab at one end such that the two sticky surfaces bond to form a small tab.  Next morning, remove the tape and discard.  It can't be used again as far as my skin goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2020, 02:34 PM)Bassline Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 02:20 PM)ardenum Wrote: I use hypoallergenic white bandaid.

Which one is that? Is it the one that kind of looks like old-school adhesive tape, that they call their "Water Block waterproof tape"?

How easily does it come off in the morning?

Mine: [Image: 20420-001JjDIlKRagtZPv.jpg]

Micropore 2 sounds like a perfect one since it's a surgical tape. The one I use is for wounds.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input, everyone.  (Can't get the multi-quote feature to work for some reason...)

Quote:brianc18t - I use Micropore 2 inch tape (full face makes my AHI go crazy and I cannot use a nose mask without tape as I leak like crazy). It does not come loose (it takes my skin off with it if I don't use 3M Cavilon barrier film which is annoying but the two together work well for me).

I went back and tried some actual Micropore tape that I had available. (I was previously using a narrower store-brand paper tape, which had some failures.) That Micropore is amazingly persistent for paper tape, considering that it is supposedly "gentler" tape ... gentler than adhesive tape, I guess. It didn't fail at the corners like the previous few nights with the blue tape. Being paper tape, I'll see how it works across a couple of nights.

Quote:mesenteria - I use 3M Corp.'s NexCare 2.4 cmm wide 'water resistant' white tape that comes in a white plastic spool holding 12 meters of tape.

It is easily torn by hand, easy to apply, and easily removed.  The trick to any suitable tape is applying a sufficient length that it extends about 8mm past the 'corners' of your mouth due to the problem with seepage you describe.

I may try this or the Durapore out if the Micropore stops working or is too aggressive. Part of my problem is that with the full beard I don't really have 8mm of bare skin past the corners of my mouth, which is why higher adhesion is probably key for me. Otherwise, I think that the blue tape would work great.

Quote:stacyburke - I use Sleep Strips by SomniFix Just so you know it peals off of a backing that you can put it back onto in the morning instead of throwing it away. 

I may end up giving these a try as well. Apart from the higher cost, I'm first trying to see if I can work out a solution that doesn't rely upon a specialized product by a single manufacturer. 

Quote:ardenum - Mine: [Image: 20420-001JjDIlKRagtZPv.jpg]

Micropore 2 sounds like a perfect one since it's a surgical tape. The one I use is for wounds.

Interesting, haven't seen that one before - I'm assuming that you're in Germany ("Germany" DE, rather than "Delaware" DE ;-) ). That tape appears to be made by a German company, and is not readily available over here in the States. Kind of looks like it might be similar to 3M Transpore, which is kind of heavy-duty - how easy is it to remove in the morning?

Micropore definitely adheres to skin, but since it is paper tape it isn't water resistant. For mouth taping, one can more-easily remove it in the morning by sticking one's tongue between one's lips and wetting the tape first.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 118 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 120 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,079 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.