Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
RE: Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
I use Hypafix tape, stays on well and removes easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't judge me Smile I use inch and a half wide painters tape. Cheap and holds all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
No judgement from me.  I like variety in solutions to intractable problems.  If painter's masking tape works, buy it in bulk.  Heck, I use it all the time in my toy train room when I'm building stuff, so I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the tip.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2020, 10:25 AM)yankees123 Wrote: I use Hypafix tape, stays on well and removes easily.

Another option that I'll have to consider, especially if I can find it locally. Looks like there's a Hypafix "Gentle Touch" variant that is a competitor for the 3M silicone blue tape as well.

(08-02-2020, 04:49 PM)Damiansd Wrote: Don't judge me Smile I use inch and a half wide painters tape. Cheap and holds all night.

Hey, if it works, that's definitely the widely-available and cheap option. Given my reaction to some medical tapes, I can't fathom what would happen to me with painters tape, however. Likely more hypoallergenic than duct tape.

(07-31-2020, 05:08 PM)brianc18t Wrote: I use Micropore 2 inch tape  ... (it takes my skin off with it if I don't use 3M Cavilon barrier film which is annoying but the two together work well for me).  

Yeah, after the second night with the OEM Micropore tape, I'm starting to get irritation on the corner of my upper lip. I'm probably going to try the Band-Aid brand of paper tape to see if that makes a difference. (Just looked at the 3M Cavilon barrier film, including the price ... 3M sure does like that product a lot, doesn't it?)

(07-31-2020, 05:08 PM)brianc18t Wrote: I am going to try Durapore next.  I also got a free sample of Hy-Tape.  While the initial adhesion was good it is a plastic tape and I found after about 4-5 hours moisture builds up and it loses its adhesive.  There are some other brands out there I would like to try but again Durapore is my next selection.

Looking again, Durapore looks pretty heavy-duty. I'd be curious to hear how it turns out for you, especially how easily the tape and the adhesive removes in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Mefix tape of 2 inches(5cm). I cut a piece off 6 inches(15cm) wide, taping it from cheek to cheek, making a fold in one corner for easy removal.
Taping only the lips doesn't work for me.
You can only use the tape once. If you have to drink at night you have to change the tape.
A beard would be a problem, I would partly shave it so you can go for the full 15 cm cheek to cheek method.
If you have an oily skin, wash your face with soap or use a cleaning lotion well before taping.
For me this is the best solution untill now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2020, 05:08 PM)brianc18t Wrote: I use Micropore 2 inch tape  (full face makes my AHI go crazy and I cannot use a nose mask without tape as I leak like crazy).  It does not come loose (it takes my skin off with it if I don't use 3M Cavilon barrier film which is annoying but the two together work well for me).  I also had luck with Walmart's version of Micropore (not nearly as sticky once bonded to the skin) but last I looked they do not have 1.5 or 2 inch widths and I find 1 inch too small.

I am going to try Durapore next.  I also got a free sample of Hy-Tape.  While the initial adhesion was good it is a plastic tape and I found after about 4-5 hours moisture builds up and it loses its adhesive.  There are some other brands out there I would like to try but again Durapore is my next selection.

When I use tape, I press my lips together and in and press the tape onto the skin over and over again and keep my lips pressed/tucked until it is adhered (with Micropore this takes a couple of minutes).  A 6 pack of 2 inch rolls of Micropore has lasted me a year and it is cheap on Amazon.

Thanks for the hint about 3M Cavilon barrier film!

(I worked for 3M for 15 years in a factory.  I'm allergic to the adhesive in magic mending tape. So I don't buy it. Don't know if it's still available.) I have to be careful with other 3M adhesive and sealant products.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2020, 09:27 PM)Bassline Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 10:25 AM)yankees123 Wrote: I use Hypafix tape, stays on well and removes easily.

Another option that I'll have to consider, especially if I can find it locally. Looks like there's a Hypafix "Gentle Touch" variant that is a competitor for the 3M silicone blue tape as well.

(08-02-2020, 04:49 PM)Damiansd Wrote: Don't judge me Smile I use inch and a half wide painters tape. Cheap and holds all night.

Hey, if it works, that's definitely the widely-available and cheap option. Given my reaction to some medical tapes, I can't fathom what would happen to me with painters tape, however. Likely more hypoallergenic than duct tape.

(07-31-2020, 05:08 PM)brianc18t Wrote: I use Micropore 2 inch tape  ... (it takes my skin off with it if I don't use 3M Cavilon barrier film which is annoying but the two together work well for me).  

Yeah, after the second night with the OEM Micropore tape, I'm starting to get irritation on the corner of my upper lip. I'm probably going to try the Band-Aid brand of paper tape to see if that makes a difference. (Just looked at the 3M Cavilon barrier film, including the price ... 3M sure does like that product a lot, doesn't it?)

(07-31-2020, 05:08 PM)brianc18t Wrote: I am going to try Durapore next.  I also got a free sample of Hy-Tape.  While the initial adhesion was good it is a plastic tape and I found after about 4-5 hours moisture builds up and it loses its adhesive.  There are some other brands out there I would like to try but again Durapore is my next selection.

Looking again, Durapore looks pretty heavy-duty. I'd be curious to hear how it turns out for you, especially how easily the tape and the adhesive removes in the morning.

3M sure does like that product a lot, doesn't it?)

They have to pay the lawyers who write the instructions for users, and the warranties.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I read through the thread, and marveled at all the different brands and types of tape were being used, I had no idea there were so many choices. As I read through the thread, I began wondering why no one mentioned Duct Tape...then someone did![Image: unsure.gif]

I needed some mouth tape in a timely manner and ordered the SomniFix tape, though I might have done differently if I had read this thread sooner.

I tried Blue and Green Painters tape, 1 inch wide, to narrow for me. Generic packing tape, 2 inches wide, failed before I could put my head on the pillow. Wally World Duck Tape, 2 inches wide, it might have worked, but I took it off almost immediately as it worked a little to well and I was concerned about ripping skin off my face if I left it on till morning. I have some left over Demolition Tape which is unbelievably stretchy and it sticks to itself if needed, but knowing what it's used for, I decided I didn't even want to try it. I sure hope the SomniFix tape works for me, as I don't shave everyday so it might not contact the bare skin due to razor stubble. I like the idea of limited reuse!

I wondered if Saran wrap could be worn as a disposable bandana to prevent mouth breathing or leakage through the lips from the CPAP pressure.

As I read through this thread, I also wondered how many products mentioned here were actually rated for use as lip safe-there are many toxins in adhesives and the products that aren't rated for medical/food safe use might not be as benign as we might think.

Be safe.

AB
Post Reply Post Reply
The 3M brand NexCare 'water resistant' tape I mentioned is a medical grade tape meant for covering gauze and dressings. I have been using it on my face for almost three years to date.  No issues whatsoever.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the 3m NexCare (light blue tape) with great success. If the strip isn't long enough across the mouth, I can see how someone could have issues. I make sure my strip goes completely across my mouth and then some. Best tip I can provide, is to fold one of the corners into a little tab for easy removal once you wake up.  Taping was the greatest thing I could have done in conjunction with my CPAP therapy. Good luck!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 118 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 120 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.