Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
RE: Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
(09-16-2020, 07:21 AM)brianc18t Wrote: I forgot to say another big problem with the Micropore is it leaves sticky adhesive all over my face and it is hard to get off.  I did find using a fresh piece of tape worked fairly well at getting the excess adhesive off but it is still a PITA.  It looks ridiculous when you forgot it is there though!

The McKesson tape does not have this issue (it is rare I have any adhesive left on my face!).  I still want to try the Hypafix tape but was feeling cheap and like trying something new that sounded promising.

I worked for 3M for 15 years. However, I'm not a tape expert at all. Their solvent based tapes would leave sticky residue. Some called it adhesive transfer.  I take my white 3M tape, and put it on my palm a couple of times. then I put the tape on my lips. It's still sticky. If I don't do that my lips sting when I pull the tape off.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve been taping for about a month now and after many failed attempts, I ordered a roll of Hypafix. For me it really works. It’s a little tough getting off it the morning, but it stays put, doesn’t leak over night and doesn't leave any residue. Cutting 4.5 inch pieces from the 11yds will last me about 3 months at a cost of $6.99 + tax.

BTW, last night I had only one hypopnea and zero OSA and zero CSA, AHI of .14. Back in April when I started CPAP therapy, I had AHI of 25.40 and 203 Central Apneas, not just one night – several nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
After a few months of using the Hypafix, I've had a couple of times where chapped lips the day before caused some minor skin damage upon removal the next morning. A "hack" that I've found works in this case is to cut a small square of the Nexcare blue to apply over the damaged area before applying the Hypafix the next couple of evenings. The Nexcare comes off more gently than the Hypafix, but the Hypafix sticks to it (and it to the skin) well-enough to work through the night.

In all cases, I find that getting the Hypafix off in the morning is usually a matter of "licking" the tape, and then gradually and gently removing the moistened tape (first top, around the sides, then bottom). Hypafix is more resistant to moisture than Micropore or Nexcare blue, but it will loosen when wet. Unlike the other two, Hypafix will reattach better when it dries out - found this out during a couple of less-optimal nights when the tape got wet near the corners of my mouth and leaked a bit. (Rolled on my back, pressed the loose areas back on, and let dry out for a few minutes.)

Another application "tip" that seems to work for me: I first apply the tape with my lips closed and ... not sure what the term is - "spread" a bit, then I press the tape all around my lips and mouth. I then pucker my lips slightly, pressing tape again, and then roll my lips inward and "clamp down". This seems to ensure best adhesion overall.

For me, keeping my jaw supported (closed) is still key to the tape remaining in place and leak free all night. Even though it's more moisture resistant, the Hypafix won't stay in place by itself if it gets damp.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2020, 10:15 AM)Bassline Wrote: After a few months of using the Hypafix, I've had a couple of times where chapped lips the day before caused some minor skin damage upon removal the next morning. A "hack" that I've found works in this case is to cut a small square of the Nexcare blue to apply over the damaged area before applying the Hypafix the next couple of evenings. The Nexcare comes off more gently than the Hypafix, but the Hypafix sticks to it (and it to the skin) well-enough to work through the night.

In all cases, I find that getting the Hypafix off in the morning is usually a matter of "licking" the tape, and then gradually and gently removing the moistened tape (first top, around the sides, then bottom). Hypafix is more resistant to moisture than Micropore or Nexcare blue, but it will loosen when wet. Unlike the other two, Hypafix will reattach better when it dries out - found this out during a couple of less-optimal nights when the tape got wet near the corners of my mouth and leaked a bit. (Rolled on my back, pressed the loose areas back on, and let dry out for a few minutes.)

Another application "tip" that seems to work for me: I first apply the tape with my lips closed and ... not sure what the term is - "spread" a bit, then I press the tape all around my lips and mouth. I then pucker my lips slightly, pressing tape again, and then roll my lips inward and "clamp down". This seems to ensure best adhesion overall.

For me, keeping my jaw supported (closed) is still key to the tape remaining in place and leak free all night. Even though it's more moisture resistant, the Hypafix won't stay in place by itself if it gets damp.

Thanks Bassline! Good post. This will be very helpful for me.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Bassline, thank you for the suggestions. I'll sure keep all that in mind.

I've been using the entire 2" width, but I plan to cut it in half and see how 1" works. I won't hold my breath though (No pun intended). I'm not trying to save money, I just want to be as minimal as possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a pretty long thread. But wanted to chime in on what I do. I use chapstick on my lips, then put 1 inch wide 3M Kind Removal silicone tape lengthwise across my lips and then a 2 inch wide strip of the same tape overtop the 1 inch. That way I don’t have any tape sticking directly to my lips, so the tape adheres to the skin above and below the lips and on either side. The 1 inch wide tape by itself comes loose but when I do the double seal as above I get zero leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2020, 11:27 AM)letsrun100 Wrote: Bassline, thank you for the suggestions. I'll sure keep all that in mind.

I've been using the entire 2" width, but I plan to cut it in half and see how 1" works. I won't hold my breath though (No pun intended). I'm not trying to save money, I just want to be as minimal as possible.

Old memories...when 3M Canada coated tape in London they had 5 foot wide rolls! Then they slit it....and packaged it.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I've used Fixomull stretch for all of three nights and it works great. I have a goatee, and removing this tape was easy. I can take it half off to get some water in the middle of the night and it re-adheres just fine.

However, I've solved the leak issue on my Airfit F30, so I'm back to using that, until it starts leaking again. So I don't need tape at the moment. Honestly, the neck brace seems to have helped a lot in all regards.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the Hypafix tape and it is AMAZING.

The McKesson tape got old having to replace it in the middle of the night every night. Now and then it would stick a full night but it just wasn't reliable enough. A shame as it had the right amount of adhesion when first applied.

The Micropore tape without Cavilon is unusable for me as it rips my face off as I remove the tape the next morning. It is terrible as it literally removes small upper layers of my skin. With Cavilon it works pretty well. It still sticks really hard but it comes off without damaging my skin. That being said, it is a pain to put the cream on every night.

The Hypafix is perfect. It sticks really well but not so much it takes my skin with it. It has a nice and light feeling to it. It is a little bit stretchy.... it just feels the best of the tapes I have used. The only negative is it is a little pricey (2 rolls of Hypafix costs as much a 6 roll of Micropore) but it is high quality and I don't need to by a $15 tube of Cavilon every year or so it is less than twice as expensive. I will pay the extra for the superior product. Thanks to everyone that suggested it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2020, 07:21 AM)brianc18t Wrote: I forgot to say another big problem with the Micropore is it leaves sticky adhesive all over my face and it is hard to get off.  I did find using a fresh piece of tape worked fairly well at getting the excess adhesive off but it is still a PITA.  It looks ridiculous when you forgot it is there though!

The McKesson tape does not have this issue (it is rare I have any adhesive left on my face!).  I still want to try the Hypafix tape but was feeling cheap and like trying something new that sounded promising.

Wow using a fresh piece of tape really works well at removing the sticky tape residue. I currently use 3m Transpore tape and it really works well (stays put even with drool). The only thing that I did not like was trying to remove the tape residue. I tried scrubbing with soap and water and Witch Hazel, but the tape idea did the trick. 

Thanks brianc18t !
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 366 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 117 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.