Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
RE: Brands / types of tape for mouth taping?
One of the first things I read about for mouth sealing was using denture adhesive. Smear some on your lips and around the corners of your mouth like lip balm and press your lips closed tightly. In the morning, use a little bit of effort to open up your mouth and wipe it off with a washcloth. A tube is cheaper than buying mouth tape all the time...
Post Reply Post Reply
So simple. Thank you tmvaz!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I have had great luck with Nexcare Sensitive Skin Tape, (blue) 1 in x 4 yd from CVS. I ordered and tried the Somnifix but they seem to be too small for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2021, 10:26 AM)jeff022265 Wrote: I have had great luck with Nexcare Sensitive Skin Tape, (blue) 1 in x 4 yd from CVS. I ordered and tried the Somnifix but they seem to be too small for me.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for posting.  I'll take a look for that Nexcare tape.  

My ritual is complicated.  Putting on my Knightsbridge strap, then my ResMed N20 mask I have to do it just so....
For instance, night before last my AHI was 1.8.  Last night it was 0.  Each night I went to bed tired, and did the best I could with the gear I have.

I'm blessed that the N20 has a disconnect on the mask. If I need to make a rush to the small room ;-) I don't have to put all that crap back on.

Your suggestion is very helpful.

Dave
Toronto
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Discovered "Cover Roll Stretch" Tape (4 inch and 2 inch widths available on Amz) recently as a lip sealer, mouth closer, and even tape based Chin strap that might enable you lucky folks who have mouths that close evenly, the opportunity to use a nasal mask for the first time. (not me yet due to overbite/thin chin combo) It's thin, soft, stretchy, sticky/holds tight and comes off cleanly, a possible game changer for some. It peals off some plastic backing and I use the 4 inch width from below the nose to under my chin holding lips together slightly and jaw relaxed. I place 1/2 inch strip across my lips horizontally for extra security.

10 years into PAP and still plagued by mouth breathing, extreme dry mouth, and mouth "puffing" (like a puffer fish) the latter being a major reason for the excessive dry mouth if not contained or managed with tape, and or a FF mask that presses around the lips and cheeks. The "swirling air" in the mouth space despite humidification dries me out to the point the tongue is adhered to the inside cheeks and always wakes me up
Xylimelts are good for an hour or 2 max on me and Biotene dry mouth rinse are minimally helpful.

Holy Grail for me would be to use a comfortable light nasal mask to avoid below back skull neck FF mask pain and headaches (due to tightness I have to apply for leaks) Tried 3M Micropore Tape and it holds well but tends to take your skin off and leave adhesive residue.

I haven't found a tape I have liked this much (even sticks to beard stubble) and hope it allows some of you to switch to a nasal mask if that might be your wish also!
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone experimented with putting a hole in the tape? Does this negate the seal that is needed for good treatment? I am just imagining air rushing out all night. I'm experiencing a bit of chipmunk cheeks, so was thinking a hole might help?
Post Reply Post Reply
The hole would defeat the purpose of the tape. Try placing your tongue towards the rear, on the roof, of your mouth and place a little suction on it by sucking. This can shut down the airway into your mouth.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2021, 08:43 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The hole would defeat the purpose of the tape.   Try placing your tongue towards the rear, on the roof, of your mouth and place a little suction on it by sucking.  This can shut down the airway into your mouth.

Roger that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2021, 01:19 PM)Whitenoise Wrote: "...Holy Grail for me would be to use a comfortable light nasal mask to avoid below back skull neck FF mask pain and headaches (due to tightness I have to apply for leaks) Tried 3M Micropore Tape and it holds well but tends to take your skin off and leave adhesive residue....."

I have used chinstraps for some time....The most recent one was the Knightsbridge Dual Strap. It's extremely expensive in Canada, but would be a bargain in the US.

If you are interested take a look in the product reviews.  I found it a real aid at first. However, I've been challenged and am using something else now.

The Knightsbridge is the best chinstrap I've used.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for that Dave L,

I have to admit I"m no longer much open to adding more to my head in the way of straps anymore but have found the Cover Roll Stretch
tape (4 inch with thin vertical strips added after running around under my chin) has at least been helping me do better with the Dreamwear FF a good bit.

It's still good you documented it here in case I change my mind in the future I'll know where to find it.

My overbite/recessed chin/high palate are not likely to allow me to use a nasal till I can find something that fits inside my mouth and physically retains my tongue in that lip seal position but I have tried a dental device to do that and my tongue holds well with a good seal till I fall asleep.

Folks suggest it can be trained and I believe it may be so for folks without very normal oral anatomy, but not me without the next step of contacting a technician who works with prosthetics. If the dentists can't do it maybe they can.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 30 5 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 369 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 117 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.