Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brazen Therapy Thread
RE: Brazen Therapy Thread
@Gideon
 "Restorative sleep is peaceful."  This feels subjective...   subjectively I would say I slept incredibly peacefully (aka: like the dead.) prior to cpap but the objective data does not support that so I feel like I have to depend on the data.

Attached is two more nights OSCAR data.
I increased max pressure to 9.4cmw last night, I don't spot any improvement but I can certainly give that more time.

Is there anything in the data that explains not feeling rested?  Anything I need to change?

I'm still waiting on my sleep clinic to send me the report from my sleep study. I've asked twice.
I find myself procrastinating going to bed at night because I don't want to put on the mask.  I know I have to just get over that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO at this scale it looks as close to perfect as you will get

As a learning point, on the 13th look at a 2-3 minute view of your flow rate just after the initial break. That should be an excellent example of your awake breathing. Nothing wrong at all just look at it to see what it looks like.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Gideon...

Sorry, I was posting and didn't see your reply...
Okay... Bi-level.  What do I need to ask/say to my sleep doc to suggest going in that direction?  What in the data suggests needing that? (explain like I'm 5, please) I have an appointment in October.

I'm on board, all in, if this is the direction I need to go to feel better I'll do it. I don't need subtle, I appreciate direct.  Smile

I'm also working on losing weight. I know that doesn't always fix things but I gained 25 pounds about two years ago when I started feeling incredibly fatigued and I don't know what came first.... apneas or weight gain.  Losing weight can't hurt.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
@Gideon

Do you mean right at 0121?
I purposefully took five deep breaths last night when I first put on my mask.  I needed to relax and I wanted to see what they would look like on the flow limit.

Post Reply Post Reply
@Gideon
I think I was awake for about 20mins, thinking the first 4 events of the night aren't "real".
Two CAs around 0248...  could those be REM apneas?

Post Reply Post Reply
So, I've increased my pressure (because I seemed to be maxing out?).
Is it possible it's making things worse?
I was at 7-9cmw
Increased to 7-9.6cmw

Last two nights my AHI is higher than it has been. In 100+ days I'm averaging AHI 2.ish.  Last night was 4.

Attached last two nights.

Post Reply Post Reply
This may be a rehash if I missed it while scrolling thru there but..
Is the basic air path okay ?
Intake filter is clean ? If you use a super-fine filter for pollen etc try just normal filter.
There should be no leaks around the mask/face junction. Its tricky to get our facial muscles to relax fully while conscious.
If very hard to seal, maybe wrong size mask ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Increasing the maximum pressure from 9cm to 9.4 would not have been responsible for the increased AHI.

The graph shows only on one occasion your pressure going above 9. It increased to abut 9.3 and a Central did occur, but all the other events occurred with the pressure less than 9. You maximum could have been set to 20cm that session and your graph would have been identical.

A better explanation is the normal volatility, that we experience every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Dog Slobber -- Thank you, that makes sense.  Just didn't like seeing highest AHI since starting treatment.
Last night was better.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes, especially in our early days of CPAP, we tend to focus too much on the numbers, or one particular night and keep pushing buttons and twisting dials hoping to find the perfect numbers and sleep better than ever.

That rarely happens. 

I believe in optimizing our therapies, but I also strongly believe that one of the best things for our therapy is just getting used to that darn thing we stick on our face every night.

We've spent the majority of our lives with nothing on our face, now we go to bed and strap on a mask, and our brains ging, WTF! 

For me, I got some initial optimizing, but I had a few centrals going on, not unlike your own. They just gradually went away. When our bodies hit a specific level of CO2, our brain gets the signal to breath. With CPAP, and pressure a lot of the CO2 that hangs around gets washed out by the CPAP and we're getting less signals to breath because there's less CO2 build-up. Over a period of several weeks or months YMMV, we get accustomed to the new levels of CO2 because of CPAP and the centrals dwindle down to nothing.

These occasional Centrals are not a problems, sure we'd like a lower AHI, but a few centrals scattered through out the night is not a problem.

It's when we see huge clusters of centrals, that we should take a closer look and take steps to find out why and how to reduce them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,062 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 157 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 253 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,344 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.