Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Aloha
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Breaking Out from Nasal Pillows
I feel like every one of my posts have been about a complaint. I'm usually not one to complain so much.

I initially started out with a nasal mask. That didn't work out for two reasons; It made me feel claustrophobic and it bruised the side of my nose. I have a small nose, or so my RT said.

My prescription was for nasal pillows. They were out of stock when the RT delivered my machine. I had to call and ask to have them change it out. I received my Aloha Nasal Pillows on 5/12. I wore it all night with no problems. It was extremely comfy. Mid-day the next day, I went to the restroom at work and saw three tiny pimples on my nose around my nostril. My nose got increasingly sore throughout the day. I didn't sleep with the mask again for 2 nights. The next time I wore it, my nose was sore, but no pimples. I've been wearing it for 3 or 4 nights now and my nose is breaking out again today. The soreness has gotten better, but it is still there.

I'm wondering if my problem is a reaction to the rubber (or whatever the nasal pillows are made of) or if the small is too large and I need to get an extra-small. Any opinions would be appreciated! I really want to get to where this is second nature - go to bed, put on mask, sleep, no problems!
05-20-2014 01:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Sex: Male

RE: Breaking Out from Nasal Pillows
Well, you could be having a reaction to the material in the pillows. But also it could be something else, such as moisture on the surface and the pillow irritating it? I really don't know, but if it is a concern you might do well to poke your nose in your sleep doc's business and get an opinion.

It might be a different brand would act differently? Hard to say.

Also, you might be able to put a very small coating of HPA Lanolin on your nose (get it from the baby department at your local druggist) and eliminate the problem.

But don't worry about all your posts being complaints, because that's why we're here!
05-20-2014 01:22 PM
Crysti Offline

Members

Machine: Intellipap AutoPap
Mask Make & Model: Aloha
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software Other Software

Other Comments:

(05-20-2014 01:22 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  Also, you might be able to put a very small coating of HPA Lanolin on your nose (get it from the baby department at your local druggist) and eliminate the problem.

I'm glad you pointed this out. I meant to ask if there was something I could put on my nose that wouldn't harm the mask. I'll pick some up on the way home tonight.
(05-20-2014 01:22 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  But don't worry about all your posts being complaints, because that's why we're here!

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 01:26 PM by Crysti.)
05-20-2014 01:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi Crysti,
You might get some HPA Lanolin cream and see if that helps; just rub a bit on your rash. If you find that you need to put it into your nostriles, just swav a VERY LITTLE in them as well.
You can find it at most stores in the baby isle as it is used for nursing mothers, but it works for other skin conditions too, good luck.
Edit: Another thing to note is that HPA Lanolin doesn't have patrolium in it, thus not breaking down the materials in your mask, end edit.

trish6hundred
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 01:37 PM by trish6hundred.)
05-20-2014 01:33 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

The stuff the pillows are made from is the same thing your nasal mask was made from. So if you were fine with the nasal mask, then it probably is not an allergy. However, the pillows are on more delicate skin and it could be a sensitivity vs an allergy. But read up what the pillows are made of. It could be something different than whatever your mask was.

I second/third the lanolin.

There are also other nasal pillows out there on the market. And there's a lot out there for a reason. Try another kind.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-21-2014 08:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] Advice on transitioning from pillows to FFM? Strat0caster 8 234 12-02-2016 10:58 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question AHI Higher AFter Switch from Nasal Pillows to Full Mask Sleepypokey 8 509 10-26-2016 03:07 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Looking for Recommendations on Lightweight *Nasal* Mask (no pillows) Dreams of Green 16 749 10-24-2016 05:20 PM
Last Post: TheDuke
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 21 1,784 10-18-2016 06:02 PM
Last Post: Rcgop
  Opus 360 Nasal Pillows holden4th 1 204 09-29-2016 05:33 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  ResMed Airfit P10 Pillows HL649 6 838 09-20-2016 07:54 PM
Last Post: Hope2sleep
  [CPAP] Nasal swelling while using pillows Wellington 5 310 09-14-2016 07:47 PM
Last Post: Wellington