Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breath right strips
Breath right strips
My swift fx nasal pillow is the reason I've been bale to tolerate the cpap so well, but I do struggle with more congested nights than not. One nostril is always a bit constricted. I've started threads on how nasonex gave me a heart rate rush and won't use it anymore. I tried using a breath right strip but it seemed like it caused the swift fx to leak. Has anyone tried breathing strips to help with nasal congestion and nasal pillow masks?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Breath right strips
I use a warm washcloth on my face for a minute at bedtime. if congested, some saline mist, an antihistamine (benedryl), and once I even put an open Vicks container near my intake for just long enough to get a whiff. Some people say rubbing Vicks on the bottoms of your feet then covering with socks will do the trick (but i hate wearing socks to bed)

I have not tried to make breathe right work.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Daso,
I used the Breath Right Strips mostly before I started CPAP. I was usually congested one side or the other. After starting CPAP, I used the strips along with my P10 nasal pillow mask, but found after a few days, I really didn't need them. The nasal pillow mask did an adequate job of keeping nasal passages open. Not sure how they could cause the mask to leak though. I didn't have a problem using both together, just didn't need to.
Also use a nasal rinse daily, and make sure I have enough humidity.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried them with both a full face and a nasal mask. They helped a bit but the humidity made the glue turn loose in about an hour. I guess if one stapled them to their nose maybe LOL.

I use a saline nasal spray and a vicks inhaler right before bed which works well. That and a high humidity setting but low tube heat setting does the trick on congested nights.

I do keep a Simplus FFM at bedside in case I am simply too congested to use the nasal but that is rare.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried one last night and while it didn't seem to affect my p10 nasal pillows, it didn't seem to help much either.

I used Flonase, took a 12 hour oral decongestant, and used saline spray just before bedtime.

The breathe right wasn't earning it's keep vs the irritation on skin, so off it went about an hour in.

I survived the night (-: but I also had a high ahi for the night.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2015, 08:44 PM)Daso Wrote: My swift fx nasal pillow is the reason I've been bale to tolerate the cpap so well, but I do struggle with more congested nights than not. One nostril is always a bit constricted. I've started threads on how nasonex gave me a heart rate rush and won't use it anymore. I tried using a breath right strip but it seemed like it caused the swift fx to leak. Has anyone tried breathing strips to help with nasal congestion and nasal pillow masks?

If you aren't already using the largest size pillows for your mask, did you try going up a size?

(02-12-2015, 08:50 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I use a warm washcloth on my face for a minute at bedtime. if congested, some saline mist, an antihistamine (benedryl), and once I even put an open Vicks container near my intake for just long enough to get a whiff. Some people say rubbing Vicks on the bottoms of your feet then covering with socks will do the trick (but i hate wearing socks to bed)

I have not tried to make breathe right work.

+1 Vicks. I also occasionally use a container of it by the intake, but I just leave it there all night. Hopefully, that's not a "no no" - I figure if you're meant to rub it all over your chest and/or under your nose and breathe the delicious fumes all night that way, it couldn't be too big a deal to just put a dab in a jar near the machine intake instead.
Post Reply Post Reply
I second the suggestion of flonase.. I know flonase was once prescription only but I think you can buy it over the counter now?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rapid Breathing-Fractured Sleep-Out of Breath Fixit50 76 4,017 01-31-2024, 01:37 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Breathe Right Strips and Central Apneas TiredTom111 10 1,176 12-26-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  Denture Adhesive Strips v. Mouth Tape Deborah K. 11 1,395 10-11-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Do nasal cpap help to not breath through mouth? hejohoo 10 1,428 09-19-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,161 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Shortness of Breath - Low Oxygen level Sandyelle 3 614 07-17-2023, 07:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.