Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathe Right Nasal Strips
Breathe Right Nasal Strips
[Image: 265128.jpg]

Recently started using the clear nasal strips with good results
Helps open up nasal passages, makes breathing through the nose easier and minimize mouth breathing

Does anyone else uses nasal strips with CPAP, any reason not to?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Breathe Right Nasal Strips
It may help a little in some cases. I used it but i was not very effective for me. I prefer to use zyrtec to have my nose clear. Zyrtec doest irritate my skin. It's more efficient. It's more confortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used them (and most of the crappy/cheap competition as well) with pretty decent results when congested.

My ENT (also a sleep doc but not mine) suggested these were not that useful with CPAP since the cpap pressure would open my nose in much the same way as the strip.

I am not convinced, and especially for those using something OTHER than a nasal only (e.g.., pillow) mask.

So, I recommend them, especially in the beginning to INITIALLY get the nose open enough that the CPAP can help KEEP it open.

Also, to get full benefit one must THOROUGHLY wash the nose or they do not stick well enough.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried them bu they seem not that effective.

I may have a unique issue. I notice that if I just press the tip of my nose upward like a quarter inch, I can breathe through my nose about 10 times easier.

I have seen a device on Amazon for snore relief that is essentially a headband strap with a plastic fork with two nostril hooks that can pull your nose up, so maybe I am not that unique. It seemed so ridiculous that I did not buy it, and I can't find it now.

I am using nasal pillows, and I adjust the hose so it pulls my nose up a little, and that seems to work better than not doing that. But I am wondering if I should try a nasal mask, and then put a little piece of foam in there to keep my nose oriented properly.

ENT says deviated septum might be the reason for this. People have never really told me I have my nose up in the air, or that it is out of joint, but then maybe that is something you don't hear to your face Big Grin.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2014, 08:02 AM)Ghandi Wrote: It may help a little in some cases. I used it but i was not very effective for me. I prefer to use zyrtec to have my nose clear. Zyrtec doest irritate my skin. It's more efficient. It's more confortable.
I got a packet of Zytrec too but don't want to take them and use the nasal strip at the same time, otherwise I would not know which one is working. I use the clear strips, to remove in the morning, wash with warm soapy water and the strip slide off easily without causing any irritation. In the shower would be a good idea but I don't jump into the shower first thing in the morning
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2014, 09:47 AM)herbm Wrote: So, I recommend them, especially in the beginning to INITIALLY get the nose open enough that the CPAP can help KEEP it open.

Also, to get full benefit one must THOROUGHLY wash the nose or they do not stick well enough.
I find CPAP air irritating and make my nose stuffy. I had the surgery and tried all sort of nasal sprays, OTC and prescription drugs, nothing seem to works and alleviate the problem.

Now, I,m not waking up with a headache in the middle of the night because of not getting enough air flow through my nose

My nightly routine ... Saline nasal rinse, nasal strips, that makes CPAP more tolerable and congestion free.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never could get the strips to work with my large nose but found a product called SleepRight. It inserts into the nose, is very comfortable, washable and can be used several times.

[Image: Sleepright_zpsce5484ae.jpg]

Great product
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2014, 03:59 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: I have tried them bu they seem not that effective.

I may have a unique issue. I notice that if I just press the tip of my nose upward like a quarter inch, I can breathe through my nose about 10 times easier.

I have seen a device on Amazon for snore relief that is essentially a headband strap with a plastic fork with two nostril hooks that can pull your nose up, so maybe I am not that unique. It seemed so ridiculous that I did not buy it, and I can't find it now.

I am using nasal pillows, and I adjust the hose so it pulls my nose up a little, and that seems to work better than not doing that. But I am wondering if I should try a nasal mask, and then put a little piece of foam in there to keep my nose oriented properly.

ENT says deviated septum might be the reason for this. People have never really told me I have my nose up in the air, or that it is out of joint, but then maybe that is something you don't hear to your face Big Grin.
Hi TyroneShoes,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I find Zyrtec to be very effective when I am feeling a bit congested.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know. It may work. And with my allergies kicking in right now, I may just try it. Doing nasonex with either Zyrtec or Allegra. Does OK while I'm up moving around, but in bed, still, at night, with my head at the same elevation as the rest of my body, things get snuffly.

I am ALWAYS amazed at how much even a tiny nose boulder can impact ease of breathing. Get one of those bats out of the batcave and breathing becomes SO much easier. I think the strips might give just a little bit of leverage at opening up the passages.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 265 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 866 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 108 8,797 12-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: vgrando
  Breathe Right Strips and Central Apneas TiredTom111 10 1,175 12-26-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Denture Adhesive Strips v. Mouth Tape Deborah K. 11 1,392 10-11-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,025 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.