Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathe Right Nasal Strips
RE: Breathe Right Nasal Strips
(10-02-2014, 05:48 PM)Bompa Wrote: I never could get the strips to work with my large nose but found a product called SleepRight. It inserts into the nose, is very comfortable, washable and can be used several times.

Great product
Coffee

I have seen a number of similar products on Amazon, and even bought one of them. I imagine it is now hiding somewhere under the bed with the dust bunnies, as it kept falling out in the middle of the night and I have not seen it for a few weeks.

They are cheap; might be worth having around on a night when the power is out and no CPAP. Also, you could probably use them along with a FFM or a NM and it might help, especially if you have the issue I have. Probably won't work along with the NP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2014, 12:49 AM)TyroneShoes Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 05:48 PM)Bompa Wrote: I never could get the strips to work with my large nose but found a product called SleepRight. It inserts into the nose, is very comfortable, washable and can be used several times.

Great product
Coffee

I have seen a number of similar products on Amazon, and even bought one of them. I imagine it is now hiding somewhere under the bed with the dust bunnies, as it kept falling out in the middle of the night and I have not seen it for a few weeks.

They are cheap; might be worth having around on a night when the power is out and no CPAP. Also, you could probably use them along with a FFM or a NM and it might help, especially if you have the issue I have. Probably won't work along with the NP.

My brother uses them with a ffm. He could not suppor therapy without the nose cones.
Post Reply Post Reply
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_strip
They are believed to make breathing easier and for that reason are used by humans during athletic exertion and as an aid to reduce congestion or to prevent snoring.

[Image: 220px-Andy_Studebaker.JPG] A gridiron football player wearing a nasal strip
Human use: Studies indicate that they are useful in increasing nasal cavity volume in the front three centimeters of the human nose, and for that purpose could be an alternative to decongestive nose sprays

[Image: 220px-CC_nasal_strip.jpg] Equine nasal strip worn by California Chrome
Equine use: In horses, they are viewed as helpful because the animals cannot breathe through their mouths, only through their nostrils.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, CPAP itself eliminates nasal congestion. No trouble in bed at all. Right after I stop CPAP and get up I either plug up or my nose runs like crazy (I call it the daily drain).
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2014, 06:08 PM)trish6hundred Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 03:59 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: I have tried them bu they seem not that effective.

I may have a unique issue. I notice that if I just press the tip of my nose upward like a quarter inch, I can breathe through my nose about 10 times easier.

I have seen a device on Amazon for snore relief that is essentially a headband strap with a plastic fork with two nostril hooks that can pull your nose up, so maybe I am not that unique. It seemed so ridiculous that I did not buy it, and I can't find it now.

I am using nasal pillows, and I adjust the hose so it pulls my nose up a little, and that seems to work better than not doing that. But I am wondering if I should try a nasal mask, and then put a little piece of foam in there to keep my nose oriented properly.

ENT says deviated septum might be the reason for this. People have never really told me I have my nose up in the air, or that it is out of joint, but then maybe that is something you don't hear to your face Big Grin.
Hi TyroneShoes,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
I put a little piece of tape--surgical tape-folded into a little piece and put it above my upper lip to hold my nose up which helps my
Nose stay open. I use the Airfit P10
Nasal mask. It seems to work.
You had been talking about nasal strips. I used to use those but found a similar product that even better. Nozovent. It's a Scandinavian anti-snoring device, and it manually holds your nose open wide. Before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea I used it. If you use a full face mask with that device your nose could stay open.
On most nights my nose stays open with a heated humidifier and heated hose. But when I have a bad cold like right now, I still
Need a full face mask.
Good luck!
Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I had problems with a fistula into my sinus from my root canal years ago. They wanted to do surgery but I was advised to use Otrivin as needed and antibiotics (of course) to resolve sinus infections as they came up. I have been doing this for some 20 years now without ill effect that I can see.

My observations, for whatever they are worth (?), are... if I am heading to my blower for the night and I am badly congested I want my sinus cleared so I use Otrivin or the like SPARINGLY and I am prepared for any rebound effect. Usually though, I find that if I introduce a little warm moisture into the airflow, it will clear up my sinus stuffiness. The warmer and the moister the better. The S9 is best at this with the heated climate line hose so you don't get 'rain out'. Works for me anyway, although I find that just a small squirt of Otrivin and then the blower will keep my airway and sinuses clear for the night. Each of us is an experiment of one as a friend of mine used to say. Whatever works for you. I know for SURE that these nasal strips are a total waste for me. If they manage to adhere, they always come off during the night as facial skin oiliness builds up underneath. So I have given up on them in short order. Try warm humid air if you are able. Works for me. And the Otrivin is always there for backup if my sinus' are really blocked.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2014, 09:17 PM)mikeh99 Wrote: For me, CPAP itself eliminates nasal congestion. No trouble in bed at all. Right after I stop CPAP and get up I either plug up or my nose runs like crazy (I call it the daily drain).

Runny nose is often a symptom of dried sinuses. When you dont have enough humidity from your cpap this can be a symptom.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do use a Breath Right strip along with CPAP and it doesn't seem to cause much problem with mask leaks and I use FFM. It really does help open my nasal passages so that the CPAP can be more effective.

I had to stop the Zyrtec, though, as I was experiencing some side effects from the Zyrtec and my ResScan charts were showing that my snore ratio was markedly higher when on the Zyrtec. Since stopping the Zyrtec yesterday, I notice my snore ratio had decreased markedly and my AHI level went even a little lower than when on the Zyrtec. Perhaps the Zyrtec helped initially but it appears the nasal strips are more effective and without any drug-like side effects.
Post Reply Post Reply

[Image: Sleepright_zpsce5484ae.jpg]

Great product
Coffee

I've been using these ever since Bompa recommended them. I think they're great! They work much better than the adhesive strips that I used previously. I had also tried some another nasal device that were cone shaped but they were very uncomfortable and didn't stay in place very well.

I hereby say a belated thanks to Bompa and hope this helps some other poor soul having nasal breathing problems while CPAPing, or any other time for that matter. SleepRight works well and is comfortable to use.

Post Reply Post Reply
Consider doing a review in the Product Review Forum here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-O...ct-Reviews

Guidelines are here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...orum--5547
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 264 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 108 8,791 12-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: vgrando
  Breathe Right Strips and Central Apneas TiredTom111 10 1,174 12-26-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Denture Adhesive Strips v. Mouth Tape Deborah K. 11 1,391 10-11-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,025 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.