Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathe cool air
RE: Breathe cool air
I hate to admit it but Ive been filling my tank with ice since 11/2015, i hated the warm air since I started cpap 14 mos ago, and I do it everynite, otherwise im waking up, restless and generally unhappy, we"ll see if it takes a crap, I will cross that bridge when I get to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2014, 10:38 AM)jcarerra Wrote: OK, get ready for weirdness...

I hate breathing warm air.  Have all my life.  If a pillow or person makes a 'pocket' near my face so that I am rebreathing warm air, I go nuts.  I am in Florida, with naturally high humidity.  Though air conditioned, at night,  it does not run all that often, so the humidity in house does rise.

I started my machine with the humidifier on 3 based on the DME recommendation.  Air felt too hot/thick--whatever the word is.

Humidifier down to 1---still not good.

Humidifier off, with water--barely tolerable, still not good.

Humidifier off, no water--just tolerable, not good.

Now the weirdness.  A few nights ago, I filled the reservoir with ice cubes.  Heaven had arrived!  Cool air into my nose.  Wonderful!  Glorious.  Unfortunately, it only lasts about an hour until the ice melts.

I don't think I will do this routinely as the ice is not sterile--just out of the icemaker. But boy, I wish I could get that cool air somehow.

I must be weird too.  I need to breathe cool air!  We keep our bedroom very cold for that reason.  I breathe easier with cool air.  So glad you brought this up.  I am also going to try ice cubes in my humidifier!
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't been around for a while but the idea of putting ice in the machine seems completely unreasonable to me -- part of the reason I LOVE my machine is that even with the covers pulled all the way over my head there is plenty of fresh, even cool, air to breathe.

I would use the machine even if it offered NO health benefits -- for this reason, to keep my nose open all night, and to stop snoring (for my wife Smile .

The ice won't work for me (and I don't need it) because about two years ago was the last time my machine had any water in it.

Use the humidity if *YOU* need or want it but for me it turned out to be completely extraneous.

Once I stopped using water, there wasn't even any need to wash the hose or mask for months or longer.

Zero maintenance on my machine with ZERO ISSUES.

To be clear: My entire maintenance is to change the mask (really for the headgear on a P10) about every 6-8 months -- sometimes I even put in a new filter at that time, maybe.
(And this is even though masks are essentially free on my current insurance.)

At least I think it is about every 6-8 months since it's so long between it's hard to remember Smile
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back, herbm!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 297 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 108 8,990 12-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: vgrando
  Breathe Right Strips and Central Apneas TiredTom111 10 1,247 12-26-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,084 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  Source for anataomy illustration of how we breathe nose only for CPAP? Stom 0 318 09-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Stom
  Just got my machine - can’t breathe - any suggestions? tigress35 5 1,022 08-14-2023, 09:12 PM
Last Post: tigress35
  Waking up and unable to breathe easily stefanwlb 4 854 07-14-2023, 07:58 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.