Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with air coming out of mouth
Help with air coming out of mouth

So I moved to a VAuto not too long ago, 5-6 months ago and my AHI is down my air keeps leaving my mouth. It wasn't really an issue for me, now I'm doing myofunctional therapy to help my TMJ, I have to keep my mouth closed but it's hard to do with the current pressure. Since I got the VAuto I think it always ends up opening my mouth and giving me a dry mouth. Any help or recommendation would be helpful. Also, I tried taping but it still feels like opening my mouth. 

Settings:
Mode: S
IPAP: 10.0
EPAP: 8.0 
Easy-breathe: on
Ti max: 2.0s
Ti Min: .3s
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with air coming out of mouth
I really don't recommend taping. You can try a chin strap designed specifically for this purpose and available from your equipment provider or from Supplier#1.

See those large chunks of time on your leak rate graph where the leak rate is elevated above the base line? Those are the signs of mouth-leaking.

I had to go to a full face mask to address this problem and it was a tremendous improvement in the way I felt. Mouth-leaking can disturb your sleep, even if it doesn't compromise your therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Knightsbridge dual strap will pull your lower jaw up without pulling it back. You could also see whether a soft cervical collar will help you keep your mouth closed.

I use tape myself. There are two main concerns about it. One is suddenly vomiting during the night and inhaling the vomitus, which would be bad. That's a risk I'm OK with; I have never suddenly vomited during the night, and I remove the tape if I feel at all queasy. The other concern is whether you'd suffocate if the power went off during the night. I put a circuit alarm in the circuit that power my machine, and it wakes me up when we lose power.

But I'm curious: how do you feel you're opening your mouth when it is taped? Does the tape loosen?
Post Reply Post Reply
Which tape.

How are you using it? What size, how long a strip, and how do you apply it?

A surprising number of PAP users have to tape. I’m going on five years with only two urgent removals, both due to near-waking stuffiness, a common thing. To me the toughest part of taping is trying to burp against the flow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tape, chin strap, cervical collar or a full face mask are the main ways to reduce/stop leaks. Preferred option differs by the person and all you can do is try them out to see which one works best for you.

Some people seem to be able to "train" themselves not to mouth leak but others like myself were not able to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2022, 08:59 AM)sleepyTrident Wrote: So I moved to a VAuto not too long ago, 5-6 months ago and my AHI is down my air keeps leaving my mouth. It wasn't really an issue for me, now I'm doing myofunctional therapy to help my TMJ, I have to keep my mouth closed but it's hard to do with the current pressure. Since I got the VAuto I think it always ends up opening my mouth and giving me a dry mouth. Any help or recommendation would be helpful. Also, I tried taping but it still feels like opening my mouth. 

Settings:
Mode: S
IPAP: 10.0
EPAP: 8.0 
Easy-breathe: on
Ti max: 2.0s
Ti Min: .3s

I used myotape so the mouth piece is open just in case - https://www.amazon.com/MYOTAPE-Improve-Q...B08M9YP98T 

I tried when I'm awake to breathe using my pillows and it seems too hard to do like it still wants to blow air out of my mouth. Not sure if it's me or the pressure. The myobrace I put in my mouth is to train my tongue when I'm sleeping to keep it on the roof. 

Temporarily I will switch to the full face mask since I haven't been sleeping great with the myobrace and nose pillows. 

I will also look into the soft cervical collar and give that a try. Any recommendations? 

I want to stop mouth breathing at night during the day I don't mouth breath at all. Unless I'm sick and snuffy then I'm definitely mouth breathing. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think I could succeed with Myotape. I'd suggest you try Somnifix or just use a roll of hypoallergenic medical tape and cut strips off it. (But don't use paper tape; it will just fall off.) You want strips that extend out beyond the corners of your mouth and above and below your lips. It might take two strips layered, depending on the width of the tape. You want to be sure to turn one end of each strip under so you can grab the tape easily when it's time to remove it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 78 1 hour ago
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 105 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 808 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 632 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 353 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,231 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.