Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathing Pattern
Breathing Pattern
Just a quickie.
Can anyone tell me what is going on with this period of breathing. I don't see it every night but on occasion I'll see two to four episodes. If I'm awake I am not aware of it.
I wear a nasal mask and tape my mouth. Chipmunk cheeks and air trapped in my throat have been a problem recently.
Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Breathing Pattern
Note how the volume below zero, exhale, is significantly less than that above zero, inhale. That is the signature of expiratory mouth breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could be a touch of palatal prolapse.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the expiratory volume was approximately the same as the inspiratory volume I'd agree, and I thought of that, but that is not the case that was illustrated.
I stand by my mouth breathing suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes but in PP, she would have to exhale through her mouth. Note:

"I wear a nasal mask and tape my mouth. Chipmunk cheeks and air trapped in my throat have been a problem recently."

Dollars and donuts it's occasional PP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regardless of cause, I'm not hearing that this is a common occurrence that is disrupting sleep, and therapy is otherwise apparently very effective. I tend to see this as an obstructive termination or shunt of exhale, which would support palatal prolapse, and the sequence ends in a recovery breath with an interesting double exhale. An individual taping against mouth leaks would feel this as a surge of air in the mouth as expired air has nowhere else to go. As long as the events are relatively rare, there is not much we could do with CPAP settings to prevent it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The expiratory mouth breathing vs palatal prolapse argument comes up every once in a while. Imo it is very hard to differentiate between the two because the mouth breathing that creates this profile requires partial closing of the palate. The only difference is whether this palate obstruction is done on purpose (mouth breathing) or not (palatal prolapse).

Imo the best way to differentiate between the two is by reviewing the leak rate chart which unfortunately was not included here. If there are leaks present at this time (especially if only at this time) it is a good chance it is related to mouth breathing.

If there are no leaks present it would be very difficult to create this with mouth breathing because continuous flow is maintained through the palate (flow rate doesn't go to zero, it is always positive of negative). If both palate and mouth are open there is usually some level of leak present.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,097 40 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 511 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,660 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 383 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.