Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathing Rate on your Machine?
Breathing Rate on your Machine?
Well I am back on track health wise..the only fly in the soup is that my Breathing Rate (at sleep) is a high at 19BPM...question is that a real problem or just me.

I would like to think I am just being my normal efferent self and only working as hard at breathing as I do most everything else with no wasted effort, with the machine presenting me with lightly pressured air I can fill my need faster and thus breath less and get what I need with short shallow breaths.

Has anyone notice this with their breath rates, or has there been any study done??

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Breathing Rate on your Machine?
Your respiratory rate is right about where mine is and neither I nor my sleep doc are worried about it. Enjoy your good health. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." or you can be an R_G disciple and "If it ain't broke, hit it real hard with the biggest hammer you can find and then fix it".

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If your BPM is 19 during sleep .. what is it during any kind of exertion when you are doing any kind of strenuous exercises ???? your breath cycle is once every 3.15 seconds .. with the normal 1 to 2 breath ratio (1 second inhale, 2 second exhale) .. What is your O2 levels during wake and sleeping ??

What is your BPM while your awake while at rest ??

That seems to me to be very close to panting to me .. My BPM while asleep is in the 10 to 12 breaths .. do you have a lung/breathing problem of some kind ??

your profile doesn't list the Mode your machine is in or the settings your using and wondering what they are ..
Post Reply Post Reply
According to the mouse over my BPM is 18.8 for last night. I even looked back over the last week and I get between 17 and 19 on most nights, so I'd say "Damn it man, you are likely normal, what a let down, aye?"

Oh I need to let you in on my favorite quote from Archangle (of this board); "Stop obsessing and feel better!" (some creative license has been taken to that quote he was much meaner).
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I discovered in my own case was that I had learned a sort of disordered breathing. It was shallow and rapid, sort of like panting or hyperventilating. I've noticed that I like breathing like that because it calms me down.

So the question that occurred to me was why I needed to calm down. The answer is that I have had complex sleep apnea for most of my life, and a lifetime of weekly nightmares. The nightmares have settled down now that my centrals have diminished. I had one hypopnea only last night, and had a great sleep.

Now when my disordered breathing begins, I breathe slower and deeper, understanding that it's a longtime habit that does me no good these days. I allow myself the shallow breathing only when I'm in pain, and that's when it's helpful.

You're kind of like me, Racprops, you're interested in interesting things. But sometimes you have to let things just drift on by...
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 09:41 AM)racprops Wrote: Well I am back on track health wise..the only fly in the soup is that my Breathing Rate (at sleep) is a high at 19BPM...question is that a real problem or just me.

I would like to think I am just being my normal efferent self and only working as hard at breathing as I do most everything else with no wasted effort, with the machine presenting me with lightly pressured air I can fill my need faster and thus breath less and get what I need with short shallow breaths.

Has anyone notice this with their breath rates, or has there been any study done??

Rich

What are your median:
1) BPM?
2) Tidal Volume?
3) Minute Volume?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to compare mine are;

_______________Min Med 95% Max
Minute Vent.Amount of air displaced per minute (L/min)
W-Avg: 8.55 0.25 8.50 12.12 59.88

Resp. RateRate of breaths per minute (Breaths/min)
W-Avg: 17.67 10.00 17.80 20.80 25.33

Tidal VolumeAmount of air displaced per breath (L/min)
W-Avg: 485.33 16.67 480.00 780.00 3816.67
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
These should answer your questions:

My system is currently set for:

MAX 22
EPAP MIN 7.5
EPAP MAX 18
PS min 5
PS 15
BPM auto

[Image: Rates1_zpsec2abf95.jpg]

[Image: Rates2_zps866f5a40.jpg]

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 12:13 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: If your BPM is 19 during sleep .. what is it during any kind of exertion when you are doing any kind of strenuous exercises ???? your breath cycle is once every 3.15 seconds .. with the normal 1 to 2 breath ratio (1 second inhale, 2 second exhale) .. What is your O2 levels during wake and sleeping ??

What is your BPM while your awake while at rest ??

That seems to me to be very close to panting to me .. My BPM while asleep is in the 10 to 12 breaths .. do you have a lung/breathing problem of some kind ??

your profile doesn't list the Mode your machine is in or the settings your using and wondering what they are ..

I do not have a clue what my respiratory rate while awake is. I have no idea what my O2 levels are either awake or asleep and ditto for my pulse rate. I have no lung problems or breathing problems other than a touch of asthma. Not taking any asthma meds.

Actually my profile does indicate what mode I am in and what my settings are. I use the machine in bilevel mode and my settings are a constant IPAP 20 cm/H2O and EPAP 16 cm/H2O. If I was in auto mode you would have seen Max IPAP, Min EPAP, and PS in my profile.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='Galactus' pid='89118' dateline='1414783745']
Just to compare mine are;

_______________Min Med 95% Max
Minute Vent.Amount of air displaced per minute (L/min)
W-Avg: 8.55 0.25 8.50 12.12 59.88

Resp. RateRate of breaths per minute (Breaths/min)
W-Avg: 17.67 10.00 17.80 20.80 25.33

Tidal VolumeAmount of air displaced per breath (L/min) <--- this is mL/minute
W-Avg: 485.33 16.67 480.00 780.00 3816.67

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,073 8 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 88 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.