Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathing Rate on your Machine?
RE: Breathing Rate on your Machine?
justmongo, I believe you, but all I did was cut and paste that, right out of sleepy head.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, it's just milliliters. milliliters per breath.
minute volume equals (approx) tidal volume x BPM.

8.55 L/min = 485.33 ml/Breath x 17.67(Breath/min) / 1000 mL/L

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I am starting to thing these machines give us a faster breathing rate.

Could because it puts the air in faster so we do not need long intake breaths??

I would really like more people to tell us their breath rates.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2014, 07:34 PM)racprops Wrote: I am starting to thing these machines give us a faster breathing rate.
Could because it puts the air in faster so we do not need long intake breaths??
I would really like more people to tell us their breath rates.

Rich
Not really. The pressure differential is quite small.

Some machines, have an ST mode with a backup rate. ASVs which are used to treat CAs also have a timed rate.

My BPM while in deep sleep is 15 BPM.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 10:35 PM)justMongo Wrote: Actually, it's just milliliters. milliliters per breath.

Gotcha. Not sure if that is little or a lot but I guess it keeps me alive, lol. I never paid much attention to this part of the data....
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2014, 12:11 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(10-31-2014, 10:35 PM)justMongo Wrote: Actually, it's just milliliters. milliliters per breath.

Gotcha. Not sure if that is little or a lot but I guess it keeps me alive, lol. I never paid much attention to this part of the data....

It's really quite average. Sorry to tell you, but, you're going to live!
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Well for me: two people with Medical backgrounds have said I may have a problem with such a high rate.

So I am concerned.

I have what seems to be great numbers BY THE MACHINE'S reporting and YET I still have crappy days so I am now looking for a possible cause that is not normally looked at or thought of.

As a few people here and on another site have said they have high breathing rates as well it is starting to look like I maybe on to something..a side effect, harmful?? I don't know yet.

As for my thinking it pushes in the air... well when I run at 8cm on inhale I cannot get my breath, and the higher I set it the easier it is to take a breath...

We supercharge cars to force air in faster and at higher pressures, our machines are doing something like that.

We are no longer doing natural aspiration, we are being helped.

I think this help speeds up our breathing rate, at lease for some of us.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2014, 12:24 PM)racprops Wrote: Well for me: two people with Medical backgrounds have said I may have a problem with such a high rate.

So I am concerned.

I have what seems to be great numbers BY THE MACHINE'S reporting and YET I still have crappy days so I am now looking for a possible cause that is not normally looked at or thought of.

As a few people here and on another site have said they have high breathing rates as well it is starting to look like I maybe on to something..a side effect, harmful?? I don't know yet.

As for my thinking it pushes in the air... well when I run at 8cm on inhale I cannot get my breath, and the higher I set it the easier it is to take a breath...

We supercharge cars to force air in faster and at higher pressures, our machines are doing something like that.

We are no longer doing natural aspiration, we are being helped.

I think this help speeds up our breathing rate, at lease for some of us.

Rich

8 cm-H2O = 0.11 PSI.

I've looked at the graphs you've posted earlier in the thread -- they are a bit hard to read off the scale.. but your mean BPM looks lower than the 19 you quoted.

If you are looking for other issues, ask your doc about COPD... how old are you (rhetorical question)? Have you had a cardiac workup?
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2014, 12:20 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(11-02-2014, 12:11 PM)Galactus Wrote:

It's really quite average. Sorry to tell you, but, you're going to live!

Haha, I like it when people use my own quotes against me, Big Grin

Rich, I have to tell you I have crappy nights as well from time to time, but many of us have the same rates. I'd like to know what you find out, but I don't think it is a serious cause for concern. Though I leave open the possibility I am mistaken.

You know as I typed the above I wondered if Google would be my friend, and sure enough, here is what I found;

Normal range
The typical respiratory rate for a healthy adult at rest is 12–20 breaths per minute.
Average resting respiratory rates by age are:
birth to 6 weeks: 30–60 breaths per minute
6 months: 25–40 breaths per minute
3 years: 20–30 breaths per minute
6 years: 18–25 breaths per minute
10 years: 12–15 breaths per minute
Adults: 12–15 breaths per minute

Diagnostic value
The value of respiratory rate as an indicator of potential respiratory dysfunction has been investigated but findings suggest it is of limited value.

One study found that only 33% of people presenting to an emergency department with an oxygen saturation below 90% had an increased respiratory rate.[citation needed] An evaluation of respiratory rate for the differentiation of the severity of illness in babies under 6 months found it not to be very useful. Approximately half of the babies had a respiratory rate above 50 breaths per minute, thereby questioning the value of having a "cut-off" at 50 breaths per minute as the indicator of serious respiratory illness.

It has also been reported that factors such as crying, sleeping, agitation and age have a significant influence on the respiratory rate.[citation needed] As a result of these and similar studies the value of respiratory rate as an indicator of serious illness is limited.

And there was this when I searched for what might be considered a high rate, suggesting under 20 is pretty darn normal;

Tachypnea (or "tachypnoea") (Greek: "rapid breathing") is the condition of rapid breathing. In adult humans at rest, any rate between 12-20 breaths per minute is normal and tachypnea is indicated by a ventilatory rate greater than 20 breaths per minute.[1] Children have significantly higher resting ventilatory rates, which decline rapidly during the first three years of life and steadily until around 18 years.

So it would seem Mongo quoting me and me quoting someone else is about right, we're gonna live.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, that puts that as a possible problem to rest.

Good reporting.

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,583 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 76 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 299 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 359 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,424 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 342 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 358 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.