Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New, question on pillows vs. face mask
New, question on pillows vs. face mask
Hi! I'm Deirdre. I'm new to this site, but I've been using a CPAP for about 7 years. Joined because yesterday I found some awesome info here about using CPAP when I have a cold. Thank you!!
I wondered what you guys think: I've used both a full-face mask and nasal pillows. The pillows have made it much easier to use the CPAP. But I was hesitant to use the pillows when I had a cold last winter (the cold developed into pneumonia and I didn't know whether to blame pillow use, or non-use when mouth-breathing). My question is: When I have a cold, is it worth finding my old full mask, cleaning it and getting new silicone for it, or do I stick with the pillows?
My current cold is going away bc I took Mucinex DM at night and used my pillows with humidity at the usual setting.
Thanks for being such a great forum! Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New, question on pillows vs. face mask
There's no right answer to that question. Some like to stay with pillows as they feel they can breath better. Others feel they breath better with a full face mask. Best answer I can give you is try both and go with the one you feel better with.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I find it hard to cough when in a FFM, and coughing has a tendency to dislodge the mask. This might be an important consideration in mask selection and flu season.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most colds require no change. However, I think it's smart to have a full-face mask available if you find you are unable to breathe at all through your nose. This happened to me last winter. To be honest, I would never have started cpap if I had had to use a full-face mask, but now that I'm accustomed to the machine, a week of a full-face mask wasn't a problem. I'm just glad I had one on hand and ready to go (seller included it when I bought used machine).

FWIW, I also have a circadian nasal mask for when I get sinus problems because the other masks hurt when the sinus cavity swells. I couldn't afford to regularly replace the Circadian one, but it does work well.

As to pneumonia, I had several bouts of it before I got a cpap. Some people are just more prone to it than others and if you keep your machine clean at least monthly, you are at no bigger risk than if you weren't using the cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
My last flu was just totally horrible with the nasal mask (and just by itself also, flu is always horrible anyway... Tongue).
I now use a full face anyway so problem solved.
Post Reply Post Reply
For many years I felt that everyone should have a FFM as a backup for when they are sick.  I found that my pillows or nasal mask work fine when I'm conjested.  I still have a FFM as a backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Deirdre66,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,781 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 400 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 596 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.