Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathing through nose
Breathing through nose
I am looking for suggestions for breathing through my mouth while using a Resmed Airfit P30i mask.  So far this mask is the most comfortable option I have tried.  I  have been using denture strips to glue my mouth shut, but it sounds like this may be usafe.  Any other suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Breathing through nose
I use a wide paper tape. If I really need to breathe, I'm sure the tape won't stop me. Smile

I've seen the opinions on taping being dangerous, but I think that is probably a bit too pessimistic. If your body desperately needs to breathe, you will wake up, you will sit up and you will rip it off, without even thinking.

Go tape go in my books.
Post Reply Post Reply
3M 2" tape works well.
Mouth taping is quite dangerous if you're a raging alcoholic and/or druggy, or have some other ailment that makes you pass out unconscious. The types of people who can vomit in their sleep and not be disturbed enough to wake up are at risk.
Post Reply Post Reply
A soft cervical collar can be useful to help eliminate mouth breathing as it gently lifts the jaw encouraging you to keep the mouth closed
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that using a heated humidifier greatly improved my nasal breathing. I had used CPAP for nearly 20 years without a humidifier and often experienced nasal congestion problems. But when I had moved my care to a Pulmonologist rather than a series of neurologists he INSISTED that I add a humidifier to my trusty old "Tank" Respironicas and I immediately started doing better. At present I am using a basic CPAP with heated humidifier and no heated hose-Just an insulated hose cover- and doing fine.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
I use SomniFix and find it works great.  Never any problem removing it in the morning and it stays on all night.  No discomfort or irritation to the skin, try it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2020, 08:23 PM)yankees123 Wrote: I use SomniFix and find it works great.  Never any problem removing it in the morning and it stays on all night.  No discomfort or irritation to the skin, try it!

I second this.  They're pricier than rolls of medical tape; that's their only drawback. 

If you worry about a sudden urge to vomit, sacrifice one Somnifix strip: put it in place, then open your mouth just using your jaw muscles.  It's not difficult.

As for power outages, I've plugged a little alarm into the same circuit my machine is on.  It'll beep if the power goes out.  But I always wake up anyhow; the sudden silence from my noise machine really grabs my attention.

I don't think I could be making this whole CPAP thing work without Somnifix.  My lips never want to stay closed, even when I'm using a Dr. Dakota collar and doing my best with the tongue placement technique, as soon as my lips open, air finds its way out and I wake up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use anti-snoring strips which keep my nose wide open.  Football players use them to get more air when they are running. I get them from China, they are about a nickel each.  It helps me breathe through my nose which keeps my mouth closed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2020, 02:45 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: A soft cervical collar can be useful to help eliminate mouth breathing as it gently lifts the jaw encouraging you to keep the mouth closed

I second this.  I've been using one for just under a week now, and my mouth breathing has dropped a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,073 8 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.