Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathing thru the mouth
Breathing thru the mouth
resmed autoset h5i s9 series
positive airway pressure device
with humidifier
Elite model
nasal mask
pressure changed 12 to 16 (doctor prescribed 14), i set at 13.8
sometimes air pushes mouth open so i use chin strap
overweight 236 (was 262 dieting) age 63.5
scored 40 ahi test in hospital so severe apnea

slept 3.4 hours awoke and noticed i was breathing thru the mouth
so the leakage looks like the culprit for the waking up
had to sleep on back a bit and as textbooks say it increases leakage
and AHI

I then was finally able to use the stats
leakage 38
ahi 2.4
so the chin strap is just not working

got tested originally in 2000 and they said i did not have sleep apnea

my girlfriend sad i snored badly, never felt rested and often tired

I think i still have a full mask i will try that and see if it helps.

here is link for exercises to help with tongue and sleep apnea
will try that too

http://www.sleep-apnea-guide.com/tongue-...0&at_tot=1
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Breathing thru the mouth
Hi
I am very new to all this so excuse if comments wrong.

My test came up with a figure over 40 as well when doing the initial test.

I tried my rented machine for the first time last night at home last night using a full mask.

An awful night and nearly chucked it in at 2:00am but gave it another go.

My ahi according to the machine a resumed s9 was 11.

So hopefully it will work for you.

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2016, 01:55 AM)jxyzobrien Wrote: resmed autoset h5i s9 series
positive airway pressure device
with humidifier
Elite model
nasal mask
pressure changed 12 to 16 (doctor prescribed 14), i set at 13.8
sometimes air pushes mouth open so i use chin strap
overweight 236 (was 262 dieting) age 63.5
scored 40 ahi test in hospital so severe apnea

slept 3.4 hours awoke and noticed i was breathing thru the mouth
so the leakage looks like the culprit for the waking up
had to sleep on back a bit and as textbooks say it increases leakage
and AHI

I then was finally able to use the stats
leakage 38
ahi 2.4
so the chin strap is just not working

got tested originally in 2000 and they said i did not have sleep apnea

my girlfriend sad i snored badly, never felt rested and often tired

I think i still have a full mask i will try that and see if it helps.

here is link for exercises to help with tongue and sleep apnea
will try that too

http://www.sleep-apnea-guide.com/tongue-...0&at_tot=1

Hello, jxyzobrien. Congratulations on your cpap usage and your determination to make it work. It is all a matter of experimentation until we find what works.

I use a chin strap for mouth leaks as well. I use a nasal pillows mask and mouth breath as well so the chin strap is essential to the use of the pillows mask. Does the chin strap stop my leaks completely? No, but I haven't had a large leak since I started using the combination and my AHI is generally below 1, usually below 0.5 with an occasional 0.00. A chin strap can, in most cases, help you control leaks if you get the right one for your situation. I also use a HoseBuddy to help manage my hose so it doesn't pull on my mask.

A couple of things I have added to my setup which seem to be helping with leaks are a buckwheat cpap pillow and a firm body pillow.

trish6hundred and a few other members advocate the use of buckwheat pillows so I decided to try one. It turned out their advise was some of the best I have received so far. It took a few nights to get it adjusted but it was well worth the effort. It is the most comfortable pillow I have ever used. It is soft enough to conform to my head so it supports my neck and head, yet firm enough that my head doesn't sink so far into it that my mask rubs on it. It also moves less on the bed than most other pillows I have tried. I have virtually eliminated dislodging my mask at night with this pillow.

My daughter left a body pillow when she moved out. I sleep mostly on my side and have found that by tucking the body pillow up under my chin it greatly reduces mouth breathing and by laying partially on the pillow it gives me better support while I'm sleeping.

Best regards,

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2016, 06:45 AM)rich2905 Wrote: Hi
I am very new to all this so excuse if comments wrong.

My test came up with a figure over 40 as well when doing the initial test.

I tried my rented machine for the first time last night at home last night using a full mask.

An awful night and nearly chucked it in at 2:00am but gave it another go.

My ahi according to the machine a resumed s9 was 11.

So hopefully it will work for you.

Rich

Hello, Rich. Welcome

Congratulations on a good first night. It looks like you are well on your way to getting used to using your cpap.

At this point it is best to concentrate on using your machine long enough each night for compliance while you get everything adjusted and get used to your equipment. Compliance is usually 4 hours per night.

Finding the right mask and getting it adjusted can be the hardest thing for most new users. Don't hesitate to ask your equipment supplier to let you try new masks until you find one that works for you. I had to try several until I found one that fits my face.

Don't hesitate to ask for help if you have issues. It is best to start a new post for each issue and to give a good description of the question in the "Post Subject" area so that more people with information on your question are likely to see it.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2016, 09:19 AM)pupcamper Wrote: At this point it is best to concentrate on using your machine long enough each night for compliance while you get everything adjusted and get used to your equipment. Compliance is usually 4 hours per night.

If you have a problem reaching your compliance, you can put the mask on, fire up the TV and sit for an hour or two and just watch TV... It just gets the #'s' up there.. I don't have that problem... but if your problem is compliance while you get this all dialed in...
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
will send for this one

Core Side Sleeping Pillows Help You Sleep Better With CPAP

The Core Side Sleeping Pillow was designed by CPAP users, for CPAP users, in response to common concerns such as pressure point soreness and mask leaks from pillow interference. This unique pillow has quilted side panels to create a distinct edge, allowing mask to comfortably hang over the side of pillow. This prevents the CPAP mask from being forced into side of the face. The CPAP pillow works well with all types of nasal, full face or nasal pillows style masks.

any comments
[link removed]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,103 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 29 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 367 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.