Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathing with mask unhooked from the machine
Breathing with mask unhooked from the machine
Hi, I am new to the board. I just got my ResMed 11 and p10  mask a few days ago.   I  am trying  the device by watching TV or reading with the mask on, I had a few hours of sleep with it (with sleeping pills)

What I noticed is that  after I put on the mask and before hooking it to the machine, I have hard time breathing through the hose, although the mask hose has an open end.  Should I not experience any breathing problems while the mask is not connected to CPAP machine? My machine settings are 6-12. When I connect the mask, I can see the pressure goes up from 4 to 8 while I am laying in bed and reading .  Is it normal for the pressure to elevate while not having any apnea ? 

Thanks,
Sabaka
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Breathing with mask unhooked from the machine
Most people disconnect at the mask end of the hose, leaving the hose attached to the CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Except that that isn't an option with the P10. The hose is attached to the frame without a quick disconnect.

When I first picked one up from my local pharmacy to try it out I seem to recall telling the clinician that If I had to get up during the night I would feel like an elephant.
I actually trialled 2 of them, I didn't have any trouble breathing through either one, connected or otherwise, but it seems one of the previous users of the first one I tried did. After noticing that it whistled constantly and leaked like a sieve I took a closer look at it and noticed that someone had taken a pin to the mesh on the front of the frame, and poked a couple of holes in it. Once I noticed that I took it back and they gave me an undamaged one. Not that I used it for long. I ended up swapping it out for the P30i the following day, but that was because the 2 sides of the strap kept slipping together causing the mask to come loose during the night.

- Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
There is usually a quick-connect type of fitting at the mask end of the hose (edit: strike that, Neelix pointed out that the P10 has no quick connect.. weird). If you are pulling the hose off of the machine and breathing through the entire hose, you are likely re-breathing some CO2 which would not feel comfortable.
The pressure climbing would be "ramp" which is a gradual increase in pressure at the start of the session, which some people prefer. I keep my ramp off, as I like to have the therapeutic effect from the get-go.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2021, 12:08 AM)sabaka Wrote: When I connect the mask, I can see the pressure goes up from 4 to 8 while I am laying in bed and reading .  Is it normal for the pressure to elevate while not having any apnea ? 
Thanks,
Sabaka

Welcome to Apnea Board!

Awake breathing can be more irregular than asleep breathing. The machine has no idea if you are awake or asleep, and yes... it's normal that the pressure might elevate while awake.

There are other reasons why your pressure could rise. The machines algorithm responds not just to apnea, but also to Flow Limitations, Reras and Leaks. These events don't get added to the AHI score.

The best way to get used to the feel of your mask and the pressure is to wear it for a little while before bed (hooked to machine) while reading or watching TV.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Without the pressure and flow provided by your CPAP machine, the P10 mask would be extremely uncomfortable. The pressure ensures a high vent-rate through the mask and the air you breathe is always fresh, and not air you exhaled in the prior breath. The pressure makes breathing easier. This is why we often refer to very low CPAP pressure as inadequate to avoid a sense of air-starvation. Without positive pressure the mask and tube is under negative pressure making it harder to breathe and you will rebreathe exhaled air. It is not meant to be used in this manner, and by using this mask without the CPAP attached, you are actually not helping yourself adapt to CPAP, but simply making yourself uncomfortable. This works against your objective. I look forward to masking up and feeling my airway expand and making sleep much easier.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use P10 large, which means the openings are bigger than other sizes and I notice a slight resistance before connecting the 18 inch? Mask hose to the CPAP hose. Try a larger pillow size.

Pressure is driven by apnea, hypopneas, and flow limits on ResMed devices. You need to post your OSCAR charts to get more specific on what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2021, 08:38 AM)Neelix Wrote: Except that that isn't an option with the P10.  The hose is attached to the frame without a quick disconnect.  
Why do you need a quick disconnect? Just remove the hose from the mask. You don't have a quick disconnect at the machine end of the hose, either.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Let me rephrase then.  The P10 has a narrow hose that if I recall correctly is about 20cm long and plugs directly into the air line.  This hose cannot be disconnected from the mask as there is no mechanism of any kind to disconnect it, quickly or otherwise.

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
That's not exactly correct. I have used a P10 mask for 7 years. There's no reason for a quick disconnect. All you need do is pull the mask hose from the machine hose. Takes a second.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,075 8 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 510 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 381 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 233 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.