Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathing with mask unhooked from the machine
RE: Breathing with mask unhooked from the machine
Yes but given the context of the OPs question that's completely beside the point. The hose she's having trouble breathing though is the one attached to the mask. It cannot be disconnected from the mask because it is built into the frame. That's what she was being advised to do and it can't be done.

The current version of the P10 doesn't have any visible holes in the frame either, just a fine mesh. I've heard this may not always have been the case, but it certainly is now.

- Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct about the P10's mesh being its only vent.  Its design is based on the premise that the P10 is being used under pressure to aid in purging the CO2 from the mask cavity.  Without the aid of pressure from a CPAP would void its evacuation.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for the input! It helps to understand the physics of using CPAP machine and mask. I moved my machine to the corner of the table, so the hose does not get folded and I could not see the screen with pressure. I am trying not to overthink the process. Turns out I was able to get 6 hours of sleep today, I will try to use Oscar when I have enough data (a week may be).
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2021, 03:02 PM)sabaka Wrote: Thank you everyone for the input!  It helps to understand the physics of using CPAP machine and mask.  I moved my machine to the corner of the table, so the hose does not get folded and I could not see the screen with pressure. I am trying not to overthink the process. Turns out  I was able to get 6 hours of sleep today, I will try to use Oscar when I have enough data (a week may be).

Now that I understand the situation a little better, I can tell you that it's never a good idea to wear any CPAP mask while it's not connected to a running CPAP machine. If you want to wear the mask while awake so you can better adapt to CPAP therapy, it should be done with the CPAP machine connected and running.

You mentioned the pressure rising from 4 to 8 when you first turn on the machine. This is the ramp feature. It is usually used only briefly by beginners. Most people turn it off within a week or so.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2021, 01:50 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Now that I understand the situation a little better, I can tell you that it's never a good idea to wear any CPAP mask while it's not connected to a running CPAP machine. If you want to wear the mask while awake so you can better adapt to CPAP therapy, it should be done with the CPAP machine connected and running.

You mentioned the pressure rising from 4 to 8 when you first turn on the machine. This is the ramp feature. It is usually used only briefly by beginners. Most people turn it off within a week or so.

Thank you, I'll do like you say and will set ramp off.  I am trying to  understand my new toy (ResMed 11)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,155 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 151 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 386 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 235 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.