Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why does my Sleep Doc want my Machine?
Why does my Sleep Doc want my Machine?
I have my 30-90 day follow-up at the sleep Dr. next week. Although they do sell xPAP, since i am on Medicaid I got my machine from a different DME. In the message to remind me about the check in appointment, they mentioned that I should bring my machine along. I go to thinking, which is usually a bad idea, but since the DME did not include the SD card, and they have access to the compliance level data that is uploaded via the cell phone link, what could they possibly want with my machine? I will take my SD card, and maybe some Sleepyhead reports ( I lost me Rescan in a OS upgrade). So should I give some grief if they ask for my SD card and tell them since they think I did not need one they cannot sue mine?

I will take both the machine and my SD card for review, but I feel like some gentle push back on having the SD card not installed like it's supposed to be is not a bad idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why does my Sleep Doc want my Machine?
I think you're thinking too much. The wide net of 'bring everything in' in this case a cpap machine, is common enough.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
The request to bring in your machine is because most people don't know how to do their own settings. If the doc wants a change of settings, they do it there in the office. Since you already know how to do those settings, just bring your SD card and your Sleepyhead reports. You can make any changes to your own machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
But without the detailed data, Doc cannot adjust the machine, for example if my AHI was running too high, since compliance level data does not give the breakdown of CA, OA, and HI, Dr would not know to reduce or increase pressure, or even to suggest a BiPAP or ASV.

I know I am being nothing but truculent, but that is what I am best at sometimes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2017, 07:24 PM)TASmart Wrote: I have my 30-90 day follow-up at the sleep Dr. next week. Although they do sell xPAP, since i am on Medicaid I got my machine from a different DME. In the message to remind me about the check in appointment, they mentioned that I should bring my machine along. I go to thinking, which is usually a bad idea, but since the DME did not include the SD card, and they have access to the compliance level data that is uploaded via the cell phone link, what could they possibly want with my machine? I will take my SD card, and maybe some Sleepyhead reports ( I lost me Rescan in a OS upgrade). So should I give some grief if they ask for my SD card and tell them since they think I did not need one they cannot sue mine?

I will take both the machine and my SD card for review, but I feel like some gentle push back on having the SD card not installed like it's supposed to be is not a bad idea.

Are you sure the doc has access? Since your machine came from a different DME, how can the doc get the cellular data? It's tied to the machine serial number. If they don't know the SN, they cannot connect it to your name. Compliance data is stored in the machine. For your follow-up, I think you better have the machine handy.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's odd they would ask for the machine, but then I have a doctor that never wanted to see SD card or printouts, and certainly not my machine.

I would bring the SD card and some printouts of SleepyHead and/or ResScan reports.

Bring the machine if it makes you feel better, it could be your doctor will plug it in and just check usage.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My doctor has the same request.

It's so she can make changes to the settings if she needs to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2017, 08:33 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(05-16-2017, 07:24 PM)TASmart Wrote: I have my 30-90 day follow-up at the sleep Dr. next week. Although they do sell xPAP, since i am on Medicaid I got my machine from a different DME. In the message to remind me about the check in appointment, they mentioned that I should bring my machine along. I go to thinking, which is usually a bad idea, but since the DME did not include the SD card, and they have access to the compliance level data that is uploaded via the cell phone link, what could they possibly want with my machine? I will take my SD card, and maybe some Sleepyhead reports ( I lost me Rescan in a OS upgrade). So should I give some grief if they ask for my SD card and tell them since they think I did not need one they cannot sue mine?

Are you sure the doc has access?  Since your machine came from a different DME, how can the doc get the cellular data?  It's tied to the machine serial number.  If they don't know the SN, they cannot connect it to your name.  Compliance data is stored in the machine.  For your follow-up, I think you better have the machine handy.

It is my understanding that any DME must provide the prescribing physician with use/treatment data on request.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have same situation. Airsense 10 with built in modem that my drs office can see all data remotely including compliance (I bought my own sd card since it didn't have one). Also Drs office has made some changes in settings remotely. I have 30 day follow up and they said be sure to bring the machine. I couldn't understand why, either.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,182 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  My sleep is crap, doesn’t seem to be the machine, what to do? emmylouwho 36 3,076 07-25-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: emmylouwho

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.