Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bridge mode for a Netgear CM400 DOCSIS 3 modem?
I'm going to try cable internet. I'm going to use a Netgear DOCSIS 3 CM400 modem on Charter Spectrum internet. Can this modem be put in bridge mode? If I use my existing router, I may end up with double NAT if there's no bridge mode.

I might be better off using their modem/router.

????
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All cable modems I have used allow a wireless router. Just plug it into the gigabyte port, it should work right off.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that will work too. But, if the modem takes the internet IP and translates it to 192.168.100.1, then my router does a DHCP handout in the 192.168.X.X range, that's double Network Address Translation (NAT); and supposedly that's not efficient.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

It will still be faster than DSL. I used a DOCSIS 3 modem with 802.11 AC wi-fi then extended the network to a slave router (Netgear R6250) using Ethernet cable, configured with the same SSIDs on the 2.4 and 5.1 GHZ channels as the router upstairs. This arrangement gives me wireless internet and network throughout the house and back by the pool. A separate guest channel is also configured, and gives guests internet access only. This allows the routers to hand-off to each other seamlessly, so as I change locations, my mobile devices never lose connectivity.

My network is blazing fast and can stream any video content seamlessly and handle gigabyte downloads with ease. Xfinity upgraded my speed without charge last week. This is from that network using a wifi connected laptop. I'm not sure with your system, but if you can configure the Netgear as a slave router, the master router will do all the DHCP assignment wont' it?

[Image: 1416640924.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
That's smokin' fast. I've been on DSL getting 6Mbps down and 0.68 Mbps up.
Plus they have been capping me at 150 GB/mo. With streaming, I am always running over the cap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well that pretty much says it all. I get upgraded to uber-fast internet on cable, and AT&T throttles your pathetic sub 10 Mbps download. I think you'll like the new arrangement a bit better. Did you ever check into Xfinity?
Post Reply Post Reply

I downloaded the User Guide... It seems to be just like my ADSL modem.
Since there is no way to set up a DHCP range (or set the internal network address), I'm pretty sure you have to supply a router to give out network addresses.
I suppose you could use a hub or switch, but then every computer you connected would have to have its network address configured by hand.
And you wouldn't have all the neat features that modern routers supply.
Post Reply Post Reply
Except it's for cable. Requires an RG6 cable input.
I think -- It has a Modem from QAM to Ethernet. Then a NAT from a WAN address to a LAN address of 192.168.100.1
I don't think the modem can do DHCP handout.

Of the 7 connected things on my LAN, I can set an IP only on the computer.
I prefer my LAN have fixed IPs; which I do on my router by associating a MAC with an IP.

I think it will workout -- just not be right to the network "purist."

I'm have to remove the PPPoP from my router (used for DSL.)
Post Reply Post Reply
It's up and running. I'm getting 100 Gbps down and 5 Gbps. My upspeed is as fast as my former downspeed.
Modem passes a WAN IP through to my router. Perfect.
Post Reply Post Reply

Good job! So are you just basically plugged into the modem and using the router as your DHCP server?
Post Reply Post Reply