British Summertime (Clocks)
Dreamcatcher Offline

Members-b

Machine: Resmed Autoset Spirit II with Quattro F/F & FX Masks
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H4i
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
British Summertime (Clocks)
Not sure what happens in the states but do you change your clocks at all during the year? Here in the uk we change our clocks twice in a year we put our time forward by 1 hour in March and then back an hour in October. This is done so we can get the most out of daylight hours.

Tonight well at 2am on the 25th March our clocks will jump to 3am and we will lose an hour.
03-24-2012 05:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
cbramsey Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

RE: British Summertime (Clocks)
(03-24-2012 05:35 PM)Gazby Wrote:  Not sure what happens in the states but do you change your clocks at all during the year? Here in the uk we change our clocks twice in a year we put our time forward by 1 hour in March and then back an hour in October. This is done so we can get the most out of daylight hours.

Tonight well at 2am on the 25th March our clocks will jump to 3am and we will lose an hour.

For those portions of the US who observe our version of British Summertime, we have had a 2 week head start.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-24-2012 06:34 PM
TheDreamer Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Intellipap Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: RespCare Bravo II
Humidifier: F&P HC150
CPAP Pressure: 7.5-15
CPAP Software: EncoreViewer Other Software

Other Comments: RLS, Essential Tremor, Narcolepsy/Cataplexy

Used to be that UK started DST before the US, but ended at the same time? We used do first Sunday in April to Last Sunday in October. While the UK is last Sunday in March to Last Sunday in October.

But, due to the Energy Policy Act of 2005, the US switched to second Sunday in March to First Sunday in November.

The GIST was that in 1974/1975 after the 1973 Oil Embargo....lengthening DST saved the equivalent of 10,000 barrels of oil a day. Not sure it works that way in this modern age. Many countries adjusted their DST to match the US.... just as most of the EU follows the UK system.

I remember one of the first hot issues after the DST change was the observance of Halloween. "Beggars" night was typically held on the Thursday night before DST ended. But, when DST was extended....the reason for moving "Beggars" night forward was argued as no longer valid. Plus it caused lots of issues, because 'older' kids still observed the regular Halloween....especially years where there's like a week between the dates.

Though it never seemed to affect me....apparently apartments/condos are off limits? I would probably know that if I had kids.

I tried to argue that if DST supposedly saves energy year 'round (just not as much during the winter months)...then they should make it a full-time thing. But, my rep made some where excuse about not wanting kids going to school in the dark. But, that happens on standard time.

The Dreamer.

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
03-26-2012 02:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
greatunclebill Offline

Members-b

Machine: Respironics System one Auto A-Flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

(03-26-2012 02:07 PM)TheDreamer Wrote:  Used to be that UK started DST before the US, but ended at the same time? We used do first Sunday in April to Last Sunday in October. While the UK is last Sunday in March to Last Sunday in October.

But, due to the Energy Policy Act of 2005, the US switched to second Sunday in March to First Sunday in November.

The GIST was that in 1974/1975 after the 1973 Oil Embargo....lengthening DST saved the equivalent of 10,000 barrels of oil a day. Not sure it works that way in this modern age. Many countries adjusted their DST to match the US.... just as most of the EU follows the UK system.

I remember one of the first hot issues after the DST change was the observance of Halloween. "Beggars" night was typically held on the Thursday night before DST ended. But, when DST was extended....the reason for moving "Beggars" night forward was argued as no longer valid. Plus it caused lots of issues, because 'older' kids still observed the regular Halloween....especially years where there's like a week between the dates.

Though it never seemed to affect me....apparently apartments/condos are off limits? I would probably know that if I had kids.

I tried to argue that if DST supposedly saves energy year 'round (just not as much during the winter months)...then they should make it a full-time thing. But, my rep made some where excuse about not wanting kids going to school in the dark. But, that happens on standard time.

The Dreamer.

i rmember going to school a very long time ago in northern MN. i waited for the bus in the dark in the morning and came home when it was getting dark in the afternoon in the winter. dst in the winter up north wouldn't make that much difference in the winter.
03-26-2012 04:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  British Greetings me50 0 596 01-11-2014 10:55 PM
Last Post: me50