Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

Sex: Male

RE: Broken Wisp
(03-05-2013 11:34 PM)JJJ Wrote:  Last night one of the snaps on my Philips Respironics Wisp mask disintegrated. I patched it together with a safety pin. The first thing I noticed about the Wisp when I got it in late January was that the snaps are really hard to use and felt flimsy. I see I was right.

Does anyone know if there is a warranty on masks?

I used to have a Wisp but speech fewapy fixed it.

Let's be serious.
I don't know. What I DO know is that ResMed masks have a 90 day warranty. "Accessories, mask systems (including mask frame, cushion, headgear and tubing) Excludes single-use devices."

But since I abandoned Philips (except for the screwdrivers - they still make great screwdrivers) I don't have any details about their products. I would imagine it's similar though.
03-08-2013 08:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Cobra4x4 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Wisp
Humidifier: Resmed H5i Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 9.4 - 16

Other Comments:

I got my wisp yesterday and my DME said that Phillips are now giving 2 extra headgears with purchase (1 extra fabric type & 1 silicone one).

I used the fabric one last night and it was very uncomfortable for me although my numbers were awesome. I'll try the silicone one tonight.

I also noticed that the 2 plastic connector tabs on the back headgear piece seemed flimsy so I have elected to not undo them each time. I have chosen to just pull the mask over my head instead of un-clipping every time.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 01:16 PM by Cobra4x4.)
03-09-2013 01:13 PM
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(03-09-2013 01:13 PM)Cobra4x4 Wrote:  I got my wisp yesterday and my DME said that Phillips are now giving 2 extra headgears with purchase (1 extra fabric type & 1 silicone one).
I used the fabric one last night and it was very uncomfortable for me although my numbers were awesome. I'll try the silicone one tonight.
I also noticed that the 2 plastic connector tabs on the back headgear piece seemed flimsy so I have elected to not undo them each time. I have chosen to just pull the mask over my head instead of un-clipping every time.

That's very interesting. Both my original and the replacement came with only one fabric headgear. I bet that means that my replacement is still one of the original defective ones.

Oh well. I'm probably going to have to abandon the Wisp anyway because of the high leaks. But in the meantime I think I'm going to stop un-clipping the headgear and just pull it over my head like you do. At least the clips might last longer that way.
03-09-2013 06:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
u2canbuild Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Air-Curve 10 ASV
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Sept 1 Nasal Pillows Swift FX
Humidifier: Res-Med
CPAP Pressure: 3-8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: 4 months AHI = 0.2 !! Adding 1.5 to 2 Liter O2

I have noticed that with ResMed straps, that the clasps are "uni directional" ............. or each clasp has to be snaped in the exact same orientation

In the middle of the night........ this can be frustrating.Huh

I have noticed that fastex buckles common to hiking supplies and such do not need to be orientated in any special direction and are easy to use.

Has anybody considered changing out the Res-med clasps for the fastex buckles?

Eric
03-16-2013 10:26 AM
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(03-16-2013 10:26 AM)u2canbuild Wrote:  I have noticed that with ResMed straps, that the clasps are "uni directional" ............. or each clasp has to be snaped in the exact same orientation
In the middle of the night........ this can be frustrating.
I have noticed that fastex buckles common to hiking supplies and such do not need to be orientated in any special direction and are easy to use.Has anybody considered changing out the Res-med clasps for the fastex buckles?

That's an interesting idea. I've been pulling the Wisp over my head and not bothering with the clips because, as you say, clipping and unclipping in the middle of the night is a PITA. I think the headgear will hold up reasonably well this way because it is the clipping and unclipping that causes wear. I was using only the left clip (per advice from the respiratory therapist at the DME where I bought the Wisp) and when it broke it disintegrated right around that clip point.
03-16-2013 10:58 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
cabzinrah Offline

New Members

Machine: REMstar Pro AutoIQ by Respironics
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

I too have found that the plastic snaps wear out or stretch the fabric and unsnap in the middle of the night after 4 weeks of use.

After staring at the headgear I noticed that the two velcro adjustment straps by your temples simply thread through, without plastic snaps. Bingo. Last night I removed both plastic snaps and just threaded the two lower velcro straps through in identical fashion to the other two straps above at your temples and adjusted them for a nice fit.

Perfect. Nothing to unsnap and nothing to wear out. Got an excellent night's sleep with no leaks.

The plastic disk snaps were a really poor design choice on the nicest-feeling mask I've worn. Traditional mask releases, like my previous masks, would have been a much better choice.

Paul
05-12-2013 02:56 PM
grumpycat Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: resmed S9autoset
Mask Make & Model: wisp
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 5-20

Other Comments: In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

I have also stopped using the clips and have had no problems. Knock on wood...
05-12-2013 05:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(05-12-2013 02:56 PM)cabzinrah Wrote:  Last night I removed both plastic snaps and just threaded the two lower velcro straps through in identical fashion to the other two straps above at your temples and adjusted them for a nice fit.

Perfect. Nothing to unsnap and nothing to wear out. Got an excellent night's sleep with no leaks.

Great suggestion.

And, hi cabzinrah, welcome to the forum!

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
05-12-2013 05:31 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi cabzinrah,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I had stopped using the clips and just slipped the mask over my head when I needed to get up. I hadn't thought of just getting rid of the clips altogether, thanks for the suggestion.

trish6hundred
05-13-2013 08:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(05-12-2013 05:19 PM)grumpycat Wrote:  I have also stopped using the clips and have had no problems.

I don't know why they even designed it with clips. An unnecessary complication that just increases the potential failure points.
05-13-2013 10:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 10 broken on-off switch koshari 12 1,112 11-07-2016 05:19 PM
Last Post: Insomniac II
  Respironics Wisp Mask Questions Dreams of Green 6 369 10-23-2016 06:17 PM
Last Post: Ezil71
Surprised WISP mask problem elbie 11 665 10-22-2016 10:49 AM
Last Post: elbie
  Resmed N10 vs Respironics Wisp...? player 8 636 08-05-2016 07:52 AM
Last Post: player
  How I Repaired Broken Nasal Strap... player 6 418 07-27-2016 01:48 AM
Last Post: player
  '0' AHI - "Is machine broken"? GrammaBear 27 1,394 06-06-2016 07:32 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  [Equipment] same part breaks on Philips Wisp frame okieman 14 1,021 02-27-2016 12:39 PM
Last Post: okieman