Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Broken cpap machine AGAIN - what to do
Broken cpap machine AGAIN - what to do
I have resmed S9 purchased 3 years ago. The electric power supply got broken (the pin broke) so i couldn't use it for a while. DME said $400! Some kind person on the board fixed it for me and I was very happy that I could go back to using it.

However, before using it I took it to a sleep clinic and they said the machine is broken - its not putting out the correct pressure. If you set it to 16 it only send out 12. DME said its out of warranty so it'll cost me to get it repaired.

I talked with my insurance company - they will replace it. However I have one of those high deductible plans so all the money will come out of my pocket. I am thinking of getting a used one from one of the vendors recommended on the board - is this the correct way to look at it? I was thinking of getting the autoPAP one - more expensive but i don't want to have any self-excuse of why i didn't do cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Broken cpap machine AGAIN - what to do
Hi roym,
Sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your machine.
You might take a look at Supplier #2 here on the board; they have great deals on either open-boxed or gently used machines.
Good luck to you and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Roym, just for drill... Do you have another medical supplier in your area you could take your machine to for evaluation? A second opinion never hurts. Not sayin' your DME would do anything untoward, .... yeah, on the other hand, I'm just sayin'.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good points above.
I have no insurance myself at this time. I am also on a fixed income. My CPAP is my life, as I had/have heart issues caused by OSA. If my machine died today (knock wood), I would do two things (assuming that I didn't already have a backup machine or 2);

I would buy a *NEW* machine, the best, latest, greatest one on the market that I could afford. (Normal life is around eight years or longer if cared for)
I would scour craigslist, etc and buy a used machine to keep as a backup.
I would contact everyone in my social network to see if anyone had a machine they no longer need or want and gloom onto it.

I expect to be on CPAP the rest of my life, so my decisions are based on that thinking.

FYI? Even though I am on a bi-level, and my old machine is a simple basic 'brick' CPAP, I have kept it. I've also gloomed onto my Mother in-law's S9 after she passed, and I will keep it - see the pattern here?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2014, 12:47 PM)roym Wrote: I talked with my insurance company - they will replace it. However I have one of those high deductible plans so all the money will come out of my pocket. I am thinking of getting a used one from one of the vendors recommended on the board - is this the correct way to look at it? I was thinking of getting the autoPAP one - more expensive but i don't want to have any self-excuse of why i didn't do cpap.
There are two ways of looking at this.
1) You could file it with the Insurance and pay the deductible and let this go toward that.
2) You could just pay out of pocket for a used machine and may have to pay the deductible later on.

The question I would ask, is what it the likelihood of me needing enough medical in the future to offset the deductible. If there is a likelihood, what is the difference between the deductible I would have to pay for a new machine and the cost of a used machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Roym, I'm so sorry to hear of your problems with this. I had a go round with my machine a few years back and I went to Supplier #2 and got a fantastic auto machine for just a few hundred dollars. Granted it was used, but after talking with this guy I felt comfortable buying used from him. I have not regretted is for a second! In fact, any time I can throw him some of my business I will! I want him to stay in business for when I need a new machine down the line! Smile If you are nervous about buying used, he also has "Open box" units. These units are NOT used, but because they have been opened, they cannot be sold as new. When I was toying with the idea of a new machine recently, I found one I would like to have and the price difference between used and open box was $60 and open box comes with a 2 year mfg warranty! You will probably pay less than your deductible by going this way. Good luck!
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
You might watch your local Craigslist for people selling their CPAP machines. However, you'll probably have to do your own "DME" functions on it. Around my home town, it often takes a few months to find a good deal on a good machine.

It's a good idea to keep an eye out for a spare machine, even if yours is still working OK. Sometimes you get a good deal or even can get a much better machine that way.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Vendor #1 on our list has a NEW REMstar DS150 on sale right now for $228 bucks! True, it's a basic CPAP without a lot of frills, but for a backup, or if funds are tight, it's new, current state of art, under warranty with limited data reporting and ramp.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #2 has some good "open box" specials. These are new zero hour machines.
The price is very good. They were willing to accept my 4 year old Rx.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Very, very sweet Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,232 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 222 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 149 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 186 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 402 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 842 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 258 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.