Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bubbles Anyone?
Bubbles Anyone?
Recently I have noticed annoying air bubbles passing through the saliva in my mouth when awake (and when I sleep, for all i know). I use the ResMed S9 and a nasal pillow mask, set to low pressure (around 8) because I have central sleep apnea. They seem to appear less at lower pressure, but I can't lower it much and get any benefit.

The bubbles are harmless, but annoying enough to keep me awake. Has anyone else had this experience?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bubbles Anyone?
Not bubbles, no, but I do lip leak now that I'm at the higher pressures and having to sleep on my back more. My mouth does not open but it does fill with air then it leaks from between my lips. I flutter and, sometimes, whistle. Both amuse the dogs. A chin strap has helped a lot with this for me. The strap's sides keep my cheeks from inflating and the chin cup keeps the lips closed together.

Take a look at your leak rate. If it is low, then the leaks are not interfering with the treatment. The machine can compensate for leaks up to a certain point.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
tiiiiiiny bubblessssss.
Post Reply Post Reply

Just curious who prescribed your machine for you?

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2014, 01:08 PM)me50 Wrote: Just curious who prescribed your machine for you?

I've had so many different machines, masks,etc, my doctor pretty much relies on my trial and error expertise. If more was broadly known about this subject, especially central sleep apnea, we wouldn't need this board. As far as central [sleep apnea is concerned, the S9 makes it clear that I have events when I am awake.[/i]
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2014, 06:11 PM)psphoto Wrote:
(07-19-2014, 01:08 PM)me50 Wrote: Just curious who prescribed your machine for you?

I've had so many different machines, masks,etc, my doctor pretty much relies on my trial and error expertise. If more was broadly known about this subject, especially central sleep apnea, we wouldn't need this board. As far as central [sleep apnea is concerned, the S9 makes it clear that I have events when I am awake.[/i]

How were you diagnosed with OSA?

What kind of OSA were you diagnosed with?

Do you have central apneas when you are asleep?

I ask this because if you have central apnea, the S9 will not treat that.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2014, 06:11 PM)psphoto Wrote: As far as central [sleep apnea is concerned, the S9 makes it clear that I have events when I am awake.[/i]

the machines *assume* you're asleep, by definition, it doesn't count if you're away, but since since the machines don't have spy cameras on 'em yet, they can't tell if you're snoozing away, or playing silly buggers with them.

awake breathing is very different, and much more irregular than sleep breathing. ergo, doesn't count. hold your breath for 10 seconds, poof, apnea as far as the poor machine thinks. only, it's not.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2014, 06:40 PM)me50 Wrote: I ask this because if you have central apnea, the S9 will not treat that.

depends on *which* of the 12 or so s9's he has.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2014, 06:44 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-19-2014, 06:40 PM)me50 Wrote: I ask this because if you have central apnea, the S9 will not treat that.

yea but as I stated, the S9 will not treat central apnea. It would have to be a VPAP Adapt to treat central apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2014, 07:01 PM)me50 Wrote:
(07-19-2014, 06:44 PM)diamaunt Wrote:

yea but as I stated, the S9 will not treat central apnea. It would have to be a VPAP Adapt to treat central apnea.

which is an S9.

got one in the next room for a someone who's got CHF with CSR. know all about 'em. 'prescribed' it myself.

the ST and ST-A will also treat centrals, just not as adaptively as an ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.