Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bug-proofing equipment
Bug-proofing equipment
With summer approaching, I'll be spending weekends on my boat. Recently diagnosed, and having great results w/therapy, I purchased a second apap to keep on my boat. My concern is that while I run a tight ship, spiders are a fact of life around northeast marinas, and the eventually find their way on boats (much to my girlfriends chagrin!). I would prefer not to inhale any spiders that explore their way into the machine, hose, mask, etc. I thought I'd just pack it all up in a plastic zip lock, but I would think some kind of "bug-proof" mesh bag might be better then a sealed plastic bag in 90+ deg weather. Note I won't be using a humidifier on the boat.

Any suggestions, or experience with this?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bug-proofing equipment
A pair of panty hose? Seems like you could even use this during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2013, 09:22 AM)skyler Wrote: A pair of panty hose? Seems like you could even use this during the night.

That's actually an interesting idea. Cut off at the mid calf, rubber band around the hose and power cord, and another foot over the mask during the day. I may try that.

I was thinking about a plastic shoe box sized box, could toss the whole setup into, but this may be more functional.

Other related question. Can one get a hose longer then the standard 6'? Thinking about it, there's a shelf I'd like to put the unit during the overnight, that's about 3' over my head. 6' hose won't leave much room for movement I expect. It's a devilbiss intellipap auto, FYI.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
There was a great story posted here about a year ago by a member who had inhaled a wasp when starting up his xPAP during a camping trip. Very funny in hinde sight. Maybe someone can dig it up.

The real point is your concern is very valid and I think you've already gotten a couple good suggestions. We see people ask about machine power options for camping all the time. Maybe we can put some thought into bugs.

My suggestion, very fine mesh plate covers can be bought at about any department store, designed to keep bugs off food during picnics. I this you could cut a hole in one for your hose, set it over your machine, and then you'd be done.

Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
MChad, yes there are eight and ten foot hoses. I don't know if you need a pressure adjustment with a longer hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would fabricate some inserts. Take a short length of plastic pipe just the right size to fit inside the end of a hose and cover it with mesh or just block it off with a cap.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2013, 07:59 AM)mchad Wrote: With summer approaching, I'll be spending weekends on my boat. Recently diagnosed, and having great results w/therapy, I purchased a second apap to keep on my boat. My concern is that while I run a tight ship, spiders are a fact of life around northeast marinas, and the eventually find their way on boats (much to my girlfriends chagrin!). I would prefer not to inhale any spiders that explore their way into the machine, hose, mask, etc. I thought I'd just pack it all up in a plastic zip lock, but I would think some kind of "bug-proof" mesh bag might be better then a sealed plastic bag in 90+ deg weather. Note I won't be using a humidifier on the boat.

Any suggestions, or experience with this?

Thanks.

Stuff a big wadded up cotton ball up the end of the hose, hose hooked to machine. Or a wad of nylon hose. Look for bugs in the mask before putting them on. Remove wadded up stuff before putting mask on hose. I assume the filter would keep bugs out of the other end of the system.

What about spiders and bugs that get down at the foot of the bed between the sheets?

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2013, 09:31 AM)mchad Wrote: Other related question. Can one get a hose longer then the standard 6'? Thinking about it, there's a shelf I'd like to put the unit during the overnight, that's about 3' over my head. 6' hose won't leave much room for movement I expect. It's a devilbiss intellipap auto, FYI.

Thanks

I always heard that you should keep your machine while using it at the same level as your head or slightly lower. Does anyone know why having the machine level with your head is important? Would putting it 3 feet above the bed affect the therapy?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are bothered by rain out you'll want the hose to run uphill as it comes out of the machine so that condensate will drip back down into the machine instead of into your mask.

Unlike water or blood, air has such a low density that changes in height of a few feet will not significantly affect the pressure.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is purely for the rainout purposes. But raising the hose does just as good a job as long as there's no dip before the machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 552 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 601 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] CPAP Equipment Selection mgonthier 1 333 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  What to do with "old" equipment? Paul Van Benschoten 10 939 06-30-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? WWu777 24 3,737 03-06-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: nelamvr6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.