Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bug-proofing equipment
RE: Bug-proofing equipment
Wow, what a bunch of whoooooosies for being scared of little spiders!

You must be the first person in the history of mankind to bring up such an issue....for shame. The Brotherhood is collectively yanking your man card.

okay okay, some of the posters here are laughing right about now...cause they have posted on my thread about this same issue.

Not for the faint of heart! You've been warned...

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-It-happened

I am totally trying the panty hose idea. I already use those foam ear plugs to pop in my nasal pillows.
Here's another deeply disturbing thought for your day...enjoy your coffee. LOL
[Image: 83153160.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
3/4" CPVC pipe fits right in the hose ends and all you do is put a 3/4" cap over the end.

you can stop up every thing with these fittings. No bugs will get in at all.

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I'm not worried about spiders on the outside. It's when they in the lungs I get concerned! These aren't the big hairy ones from the movies, little critters is what we get. You learn to live with them. I just don't want to inhale them. I think the hose plug is perfect. Regarding the level/rainout issue. Not an issue, not using a humidifier on the boat. Plenty of warm humidity in the air on the river.

Regarding the longer hose, I can't find a setting to adjust on the intellipap for a longer hose. I may call them I guess...

Thanks for all the good ideas.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2013, 03:39 PM)mchad Wrote: Regarding the level/rainout issue. Not an issue, not using a humidifier on the boat. Plenty of warm humidity in the air on the river.

That reasoning doesn't necessarily work. The air traveling through the hose doesn't remember whether it was humidified from an explicit humidifier or whether it was already humid from the ambient air. Since you will have "plenty of warm humidity in the air", you still run the risk of condensation on your hose in just the same way that morning dew condenses on other metal/plastic. Unless, of course, you have a heated tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
Without a humidifier, if the temperature of the air on the inside of the hose is the same as on the outside it's not likely you'll get condensation.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rain out is caused when the air in the hose is warmer than the air in the room. The humidity in the hose collects on the inside of the hose and collects in low spots. The moving air then makes it snore. Or drip back into your mask or down into the humidifier.

Since he's not using a humidifier, the air in the hose is the same temp as the air in the room. It might be a slight bit cooler due to it is moving while the room air may not be. In that case, condensation *might* form on the outside but I doubt it would since the temp diff is not that extreme. Not like a Coke can from the fridge.

But back to the OP: Whatever method you try, please let us know how you did it and how it worked in Real Life. That would let us better help the next person with a similar problem!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2013, 06:48 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Without a humidifier, if the temperature of the air on the inside of the hose is the same as on the outside it's not likely you'll get condensation.

That's physics for ya! Sheldon Cooper would be proud.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2013, 08:36 PM)mchad Wrote:
(06-05-2013, 06:48 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Without a humidifier, if the temperature of the air on the inside of the hose is the same as on the outside it's not likely you'll get condensation.

I hate that my first few posts on this forum end up being a debate, but I must disagree. Even without the humidifier, the air in the hose will be slightly warmer than room air for two reasons. Firstly, it will have picked up some heat from the blower motor and other waste heat from the *PAP device itself. Secondly, it will have gotten warmer because it has just been put under pressure. Whenever a gas is put under pressure, it will heat up, just like whenever you heat up a gas, it will expand. For the curious, search for "ideal gas law" in Wikipedia.

Now, I do agree that the condensation will be minimal, but you can't completely dismiss it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2013, 11:49 PM)RonWessels Wrote:
(06-05-2013, 08:36 PM)mchad Wrote:

I hate that my first few posts on this forum end up being a debate, but I must disagree. Even without the humidifier, the air in the hose will be slightly warmer than room air for two reasons. Firstly, it will have picked up some heat from the blower motor and other waste heat from the *PAP device itself. Secondly, it will have gotten warmer because it has just been put under pressure. Whenever a gas is put under pressure, it will heat up, just like whenever you heat up a gas, it will expand. For the curious, search for "ideal gas law" in Wikipedia.

Now, I do agree that the condensation will be minimal, but you can't completely dismiss it.

From a purely technical standpoint, you are correct. Feel a scuba tank after it's filled to 3000psi... It's HOT. But from a practical standpoint, I still disagree. Pressurizing air .16psi (thats the 11cmh2o I run at now), isn't going to generate any appreciable heat. That, and this will all be taking place at on average 80+ degrees temperature, means I haven't a worry in the world about even the slightest hint of condensation forming.

But there's nothing wrong with a civilized debate!
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct mchad.
I agree though the heat gain is not a problem with the tiny pressure gain of 11 cm H20.
It's all about relative humidity & temperatures & dew points.
I'm sure there is a full lecture on the subject somewhere in this forum.

Cheers!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 552 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 601 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] CPAP Equipment Selection mgonthier 1 333 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  What to do with "old" equipment? Paul Van Benschoten 10 939 06-30-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? WWu777 24 3,737 03-06-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: nelamvr6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.