Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Building OSCAR Ubuntu 20.04
RE: Building OSCAR Ubuntu 20.04
For the Full Editor, use the big "REPLY" button.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Adding my user to the video group and rebooting solved the problem for me.
glxgears now also works.

I can now launch both OSCARs, from deb (repo) and built in my system.

Hope this simple solution works for others as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK! I just learned something new.   In Linux the default graphics engine is OpenGL and will not be listed in OSCAR's configuration file, unless you change its setting.

To set the graphics engine to the Software engine in Linux, edit the  .config/OSCAR-Team/OSCAR.conf file.
Add the following lines to the beginning of the file:
[General]
GFXEngine=2

Your OSCAR.conf file should now look something like this:
Code:
[General]
GFXEngine=2

[MainWindow]
geometry=@ByteArray(\x1\xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x3\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\a\x7f\0\0\x4\xf\0\0\x1\xb7\0\0\0\x8f\0\0\x5\xb5\0\0\x3\xb2\0\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\a\x80\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\x1b\0\0\a\x7f\0\0\x4\xe)

[Settings]
AppData="OSCAR's Data folder location"
Language=en_US

Parameter values:
0 - sets the graphics engine to OpenGL (the default).
2 - sets the graphics engine to "Software"

You will need to restart OSCAR if it is running when you make this change for it to take effect.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Linux users use to write :
~/.config/OSCAR-Team/OSCAR.conf
~ is a link to the home folder of the current user.

You can also write :
- /home/$USER/.config/OSCAR-Team/OSCAR.conf
or
/$HOME/.config/OSCAR-Team/OSCAR.conf file

.config/OSCAR-Team/OSCAR.conf works only if your are in your home directory.
You can change to your home directory with
cd (without argument) [maybe not on all distribution]
cd $HOME
cd /home/$USER
From France. English spoken. Equipped since end of 2009. ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset since November 2023.
Linux user since 2009 --> current main distribution : Xubuntu 22.04 (laptop)
LUG (named ALDIL) Member since 2015. certifications : ITIL© and ISTQB©

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the clarification. After thinking about your post, would you please provide an instance where you would be in someone else's account to use OSCAR?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. I never thought of the video group. It seems that Debian makes every user a member by default.

Too late now, but I should clarify the shift key startup. You have to hold down the shift key and then start OSCAR while the shift key is held down.

Thanks for reporting back.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2021, 05:21 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Interesting. I never thought of the video group. It seems that Debian makes every user a member by default.

Too late now, but I should clarify the shift key startup. You have to hold down the shift key and then start OSCAR while the shift key is held down.

Thanks for reporting back.

This is a question not specific to this thread, and I would welcome removing it shortly...
Does the framework of this forum allow for, when answering to a given post, hyperlinking to that post?
Something like reddit, or others.
Otherwise, posts keep crossing each other, and it gets difficult to follow the tree of conversations within a thread.

EDIT
I now see in this post that it is possible with "Reply with quote". It's just that people don't use it, even if it is quite useful.
Next step: learning how to delete this post.
Post Reply Post Reply
@sancho
People generally don't use Reply with Quote unless it's necessary.  It tends to clog up the thread and make things harder to follow.
If you need to use it to maintain context that's fine.  Just snip out the stuff you don't need.

Here is a thread on the matter: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...with+quote
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR for Ubuntu Linux "blocked and dangerous" edgreenberg 3 738 07-17-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: edgreenberg
  Unable to install Oscar on ubuntu 22.04 BrassCat 2 781 05-17-2023, 07:19 PM
Last Post: BrassCat
  Update Oscar 1.2.0 to 1.4.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 mcman56 2 600 09-26-2022, 04:47 PM
Last Post: untoutseul05
Sad Problem to install Oscar 1.4.0 with Ubuntu Budgie 22.04 kkwete 2 672 06-22-2022, 03:06 AM
Last Post: kkwete
  error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option timpani 20 2,078 03-11-2022, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Installation of OSCAR in Ubuntu 16.04 ? anderson5420 0 729 03-10-2021, 10:30 AM
Last Post: anderson5420
  New computer - back to building OSCAR happydreams 12 1,337 01-28-2021, 11:15 AM
Last Post: happydreams

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.