Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Building OSCAR Ubuntu 20.04
Building OSCAR Ubuntu 20.04
Today I finally upgraded to 20.04 Ubuntu from 18.04.  Now OSCAR doesn't run.  Just crashes.  So I thought I'd build it from source.  Followed the instructions, made the directories, cloned the repo, etc.  Seemed to build ok.  No errors.  No crazy warnings (or at least I think so).  The exit to make was make[1]: Leaving directory ....../oscar

So I found the executable and typed ./OSCAR &

Output as follows:
Code:
~/Apps/OSCAR/buildoscar/oscar$ 00000: Debug: Started logging thread
00000: Debug: OSCAR starting Wed Oct 7 19:41:53 2020
00000: Debug: APP-NAME: "OSCAR"
00000: Debug: APP-PATH: "/home/xxx/Apps/OSCAR/buildoscar/oscar"
00000: Debug: Trying "/home/xxx/Apps/OSCAR/buildoscar/oscar/Translations/oscar_qt_fr.qm"
00001: Debug: APP-RESOURCES: "/home/xxx/Apps/OSCAR/buildoscar/oscar"
00001: Debug: OSCAR 1.2.0-rc.2+master-1faaf625 (linux x86_64)
00001: Debug: Built with Qt 5.12.8 on Oct  7 2020 19:32:42
00001: Debug: system locale date format "dddd, MMMM d, yyyy"
00001: Debug: shortened date format "ddd MMM d yyyy" dayFirst false
00001: Debug: number of built-in *.qm files 0
00001: Debug: Inbuilt Translations: en_US
00001: Debug: number of external *.qm files 48
00001: Debug: Number of external translations is 26
00002: Debug: Extra Translations: af, ar, bg, da, de, el, en_UK, es, es_MX, fi, fr, he, hu, it, ko, nl, no, ph, pl, pt, pt_BR, ro, sv, th, tr, zh
05482: Debug: Using default language en_US
05570: Debug: Logging UI initialized
05578: Debug: Using System Tray for Menu

[1]+  Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ./OSCAR
I did get to the point of selecting the language, but that was it.  Any clue as where to go next?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Building OSCAR Ubuntu 20.04
It would be simpler to download the Unbutu20 version of OSCAR and install it.

It ought to work, and I'd like to hear whether it does or not.

On the other hand, you'll never learn if you don't try... so
Here is what it was about to display:
Code:
00162: Debug: OSCAR 1.2.0-rc.2+1faaf625 (linux x86_64)
00162: Debug: Built with Qt 5.11.3 on Oct  6 2020 20:16:52
00162: Debug:
00162: Debug: Operating system: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid
00162: Debug: Graphics Engine: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.3.6
00162: Debug: Graphics Engine type: OpenGL
00162: Debug:
That's in main.cpp around line 400. The difficulty here is that QT is multi-threaded, and the exception may happen while there is text in the debug output buffer. I have been known to insert a lot of sleep(1) after each debug statement to allow time to empty the buffer...
Without at least a stack dump and the loader map, it can be quite difficult .
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
happy dreams it could be your graphics driver giving issues, press and hold shift whilst starting OSCAR and it should step back the graphics driver used
Post Reply Post Reply
pholynyk  So... are you saying to add a delay after each qDebug().noquote() statement after initializeLogger()?

I've built Sleepyhead and OSCAR before, just not on 20.04.  Could be I am missing something.  I'd rather build the app, if at all possible.

Is it better to post these kinds of questions to gitlab, or here?
Post Reply Post Reply
At the moment using nvidia-driver-418 meta package.  I could go back to 390.  Nouveau won't render Chromium properly at all.  Never had a problem with opengl before.
Post Reply Post Reply
Changed video driver to 390.  Now it just hangs after 00171: Debug: Using System Tray for Menu.  No window pops up at all.
Code:
$ cd Apps/OSCAR/buildoscar/oscar
~/Apps/OSCAR/buildoscar/oscar$ ./OSCAR &
[1] 38642
~/Apps/OSCAR/buildoscar/oscar$ 00001: Debug: Started logging thread
00001: Debug: OSCAR starting Thu Oct 8 09:05:32 2020
00001: Debug: APP-NAME: "OSCAR"
00001: Debug: APP-PATH: "/home/xxx/Apps/OSCAR/buildoscar/oscar"
00001: Debug: Trying "/home/xxx/Apps/OSCAR/buildoscar/oscar/Translations/oscar_qt_fr.qm"
00001: Debug: APP-RESOURCES: "/home/xxx/Apps/OSCAR/buildoscar/oscar"
00001: Debug: OSCAR 1.2.0-rc.2+master-1faaf625 (linux x86_64)
00001: Debug: Built with Qt 5.12.8 on Oct  7 2020 19:32:42
00001: Debug: system locale date format "dddd, MMMM d, yyyy"
00001: Debug: shortened date format "ddd MMM d yyyy" dayFirst false
00002: Debug: number of built-in *.qm files 0
00002: Debug: Inbuilt Translations: en_US
00002: Debug: number of external *.qm files 48
00002: Debug: Number of external translations is 26
00002: Debug: Extra Translations: af, ar, bg, da, de, el, en_UK, es, es_MX, fi, fr, he, hu, it, ko, nl, no, ph, pl, pt, pt_BR, ro, sv, th, tr, zh
00002: Debug: Using default language en_US
00167: Debug: Logging UI initialized
00171: Debug: Using System Tray for Menu
When I tried to resize the terminal window the process terminated.  System just exits with no indication what so ever.  Correction: at a long time delay later, (many minutes,) there is a segfault.  Somehow, you'd think there would be some sort of error log, but I don't see it.  I don't see operating system info, nor graphics card driver.  Trying it again with 390 and "shift-enter" doesn't seem to make any difference - same text output, but the debug line numbers are slightly different.

Probably don't have all the pre-requisites, or my version of QT stuff is newer and doesn't work.  I'll dig some more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another way to find the seg fault is to run OSCAR with gdb, and then use the stack trace command and the loader map to find the exact location of the seg faulting instruction. You'll have to edit the oscar.pro file to force the loader to create the map.

Failing that, adding a lot of sleep(1) calls may be the easiest way to find the problem statement.

Trying the existing deb file would isolate the problem to something in your build process or system. If the distributed deb package won't run for you, then we have a different problem.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another way to find the seg fault is to run OSCAR with gdb, and then use the stack trace command and the loader map to find the exact location of the seg faulting instruction. You'll have to edit the oscar.pro file to force the loader to create the map.

Afraid using gdb on an unfamiliar code base, will lead me down a path I don't want to go.  Just not that good of a coder.  However, I may try it, simply due to my tenaciousness.  (Nice way of saying stubborn, isn't it? Too-funny)

Just found something interesting.  When I opened QT Creator, (double click on OSCAR_QT.pro) I got an error.  It says the following plugins had errors and cannot be loaded.  QmlDesigner, and QmlProfiler.  The details state:  Plugin initialization failed: Cannot create OpenGL context.  Also curious is an unchecked box stating QT 5.4.2 is in PATH!  This is strange!  My actual path does not show QT anything.  Qt Creator 4.11.0, based on Qt 5.12.8 (gcc 9.3.0 64 bit)  The kit that is selected is  Desktop

/home/xxx/Apps/OSCAR/build-OSCAR_QT-Desktop-Debug
/home/xxx/Apps/OSCAR/build-OSCAR_QT-Desktop-Release
/home/xxx/Apps/OSCAR/build-OSCAR_QT-Desktop-Profile

None of these locations exist, hidden or otherwise!  Now, I have no idea how to deal with QT Creator, so this all could be a red herring.  Make files, I do understand and have used to build large projects.

I have installed all the packages listed in BUILD_Linux.md.  I do have (for a long time now) opengl 2.0.  I built Sleepyhead with opengl2 without issue.

I will try the deb for fault isolation.
Post Reply Post Reply
deb file does not work either.
When launched, I got a window that stated

Additional MIME Types Required
An application is requesting additional file support

So I clicked OK. This automatically bumped me into the Ubuntu SW app which stated:
Unable to Find Requested Software
Unfortunately the application/x-sharedlib file format you were searching for could not be found.

Now if I try to run OSCAR (from the deb file) I just get a seg fault. (core dumped) ./OSCAR

Not good. Sad

I presume the deb file installs to /usr/bin/OSCAR, because that is what I ran! June 2, 17:11 file date
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2020, 09:37 AM)happydreams Wrote: Another way to find the seg fault is to run OSCAR with gdb, and then use the stack trace command and the loader map to find the exact location of the seg faulting instruction. You'll have to edit the oscar.pro file to force the loader to create the map.

Afraid using gdb on an unfamiliar code base, will lead me down a path I don't want to go.  Just not that good of a coder.  However, I may try it, simply due to my tenaciousness.  (Nice way of saying stubborn, isn't it? Too-funny)

The simplest way to do this (without falling down that rabbit hole) is:

Code:
gdb OSCAR
(r)un
(wait until it breaks on segfault)
bt

And let us know what the stack trace says.

You can also run qmake with "CONFIG+=memdebug" and it will compile with ASAN, which checks for out-of-bounds memory errors, double-frees, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR for Ubuntu Linux "blocked and dangerous" edgreenberg 3 738 07-17-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: edgreenberg
  Unable to install Oscar on ubuntu 22.04 BrassCat 2 781 05-17-2023, 07:19 PM
Last Post: BrassCat
  Update Oscar 1.2.0 to 1.4.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 mcman56 2 600 09-26-2022, 04:47 PM
Last Post: untoutseul05
Sad Problem to install Oscar 1.4.0 with Ubuntu Budgie 22.04 kkwete 2 672 06-22-2022, 03:06 AM
Last Post: kkwete
  error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option timpani 20 2,077 03-11-2022, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Installation of OSCAR in Ubuntu 16.04 ? anderson5420 0 729 03-10-2021, 10:30 AM
Last Post: anderson5420
  New computer - back to building OSCAR happydreams 12 1,337 01-28-2021, 11:15 AM
Last Post: happydreams

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.