Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bulging cheeks
Bulging cheeks
Trying to get used to a full face mask. Have an issue when breathing through mouth of the air causing my cheeks to blow up.  Really annoying.  Any thoughts on keeping that from happening?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bulging cheeks
Try to breathe through your nose. The purpose of the full face mask is to prevent air from leaking out of your mouth.

Breathing through your mouth is only necessary if your nose is plugged up. It can happen if you have a cold in which case I highly recommend the NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit, available for about $10 at Walgreens or just about any pharmacy. If your nose is constantly plugged you need to see a good ENT.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to breathe through my mouth as I am severely congested due to allergies.  I am working with an ENT.  My question is during this period, how do I keep my cheeks from puffing out during inhalation?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would try a temporary measure of reducing pressure. I would base the target pressure on your OSCAR charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the same problem ,starting from my trial period, it  was quite alarming. First I found I tended to be a mouth breather because I have  restricted nasal passages. This problem gets worse if I have any allergic reactions from pollen etc.
So I find I can only use a full face mask, run my auto machine at a max of 18 cmw and when needed use a nasal decongestant aerosol .
Post Reply Post Reply
Over time you will get used to the effect of the pressure and the ‘Chipmunk’ cheeks will abate as you learn to prevent the extra air entering your mouth, by closing your soft pallet and breathing through your nose. Whilst talking and drinking is possible with air blowing up your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have tiny nasal passages and exclusively use a FFM, and the thing that helps me the most to keep my nose clear is Xylitol. Specifically, Xlear packets in a neti pot before bed. I then use unscented Flonase. Flonase by itself does nothing for me, but the combination has been good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try using Claritin D. That works great for me. I take it when I get home from work ( 24 hour Claritin D) so it working good by the time I go to bed. Right before I put the mask on I blow my nose and I’m all set. With an unclogged nose my pressure stays steady for most of the night and mostly event free except for post arousal central apneas. I’ve come to realize that a clogged nose will in fact flag a flow limitation and bump the pressure.

If you can’t get your nose unclogged and have to breath through your mouth bump up the humidity some to prevent dry mouth. PR had a heated hose to prevent rainout if you need a higher humidity that causes rainout. Good luck to you and hang in there. It’s been a little over 4 months for me and I’m finally settling in with little to no issues every night thanks to this forum.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chipmunk cheeks/mouth puffing her.suit 2 517 01-29-2024, 08:56 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Chipmunk cheeks solutions SystemF 2 1,076 07-13-2023, 02:42 AM
Last Post: barney999
  Mask fit - chipmunk cheeks Jmellarkey 0 800 01-07-2023, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Jmellarkey
  chipmunk cheeks /other frustrations martyedb 4 1,208 10-23-2022, 07:53 PM
Last Post: OldYamaha
  Puffy Cheeks walt48 9 3,220 09-26-2022, 08:21 AM
Last Post: ErElf
  Recommended chin strap for chipmunk cheeks? gcritchley 13 1,949 06-19-2021, 08:58 PM
Last Post: theunk
  full mask leaving redness on cheeks hegel 4 1,060 01-19-2020, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Osiris357

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.