Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bumping up pressure okay?
Bumping up pressure okay?
I been using this CRAP for 7 months,  Airsense 10, Airfit F20  I had it severe 75-80 AHI
when I went to the sleep clinic.  So after 3 months they got it down to 2.5- 4 AHI at pressure 15
 I bump it up on my own to pressure 16  and now it is usually under 1 AHI now (.4 - .8 )

Just wondering it was smart to bump it up to 16 to get under 1  AHI
I also have Acid Gag reflex so have to take a pill everyday for life  (Dexilant)

Thanks
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
Congrats on the machine. I don't think 1cm pressure difference will hurt you.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Bumping up pressure okay?
So long as you are not getting new problems, you should be good now. Generally, I recommend only bumping up .2 every 4-5 days, to give your body time to get used the higher pressure. However, since you are already at 16, give that a week and then try dropping it .2 to see if your AHI stays good or worsens. I'm always of the opinion to use the lowest pressure possible to do the job.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2018, 08:53 PM)purpleh2 Wrote: I also have Acid Gag reflex so have to take a pill everyday for life  (Dexilant)

Maybe not.  I was on similar medications for years with the expectation that I could stop after I died.   Too-funny  

There are downsides to these medications, one very common one is developing a vitamin B-12 deficiency.  When my doctor started to treat me for that, I started to reconsider the long term "benefits" of this medicine. Messing with you digestive system has impacts beyond avoid the pain and erosion associated with GERD.  The real issue is not stomach acidity but that stomach contents just do not belong in your esophagus.   Reducing the acidity masks the root problem, it does not fix it.

A lot of GERD is caused by sleep apnea and treating the SA can greatly reduce or eliminate the GERD.  With my doctor's assistance, I have been off of all GERD medications since early this year.  My B-12 is back to normal.  I still have a little indigestion now and then, but it is easily handled by some over the counter medications.  I won't say that it was easy to get off of these medications, you can get quite severe rebound acidity.  I used Zantac, Tums, Eno, etc as needed until it finally passed (months!).  Life is good now.  I will also mention that I have a hiatal hernia which is also associated with GERD.
Post Reply Post Reply
not sure if acid gag reflux is same or similar to gerd? I developed what I assume is called gerd, nasty heartburn, esophogal spasms, difficulty swallowing, coughing, etc., before and during marginally successful apap use (roughly 5-6cm ahi over about 20 months). had to take ranitidine twice a day and still suffered from acid reflux. since starting asv my ahi so far has always been below 5 and often below 1. I may never be able to eat all the foods I used to eat but I rarely get reflux now and when I do it's not bad enough to take anything for it. moral of the story is adequate pap therapy may well ease this problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I offer this only as food for further investigation:  my well-aged octogenarian father recently had a bad bout of GERD and ultra-low sodium levels that really threw him for a loop.  It took almost four weeks before they got his sodium levels to 'normal', which means salt tablets for life.  His older sister, we learned after the fact, has been taking salt tabs for years.

My dad had known for years that he has a hiatus hernia...the upper part of the stomach protrudes up through the natural hole in the diaphragm through which only the aesophagus I supposed to run.  This has caused all sorts of problems, but seemingly more acutely lately.  We learned via a home oximetry study four months ago that he also has moderate sleep apnea.  Without going on at length, have you eliminated a hiatus hernia as a contributing factor to your overall circumstances?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the Quick reply's, appreciated taking the time to respond
I  did try to turn it down for a few days to 15.6 instead of 16  and the AHI did go up
so turn it back up to 16  maybe will dialed it down by -.2  and see for a week

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2018, 03:35 PM)chill Wrote: A lot of GERD is caused by sleep apnea and treating the SA can greatly reduce or eliminate the GERD.
I never made the connection initially because my reflux was so rare.
Maybe once every couple of months I'd wake with a mouth full of acid and would have to get up and gargle with baking soda.  I have not had an episode of that since going on CPAP.

My wife OTOH, had not seen that benefit.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2018, 08:34 PM)purpleh2 Wrote: Thanks for all the Quick reply's, appreciated taking the time to respond
I  did try to turn it down for a few days to 15.6 instead of 16  and the AHI did go up
so turn it back up to 16  maybe will dialed it down by -.2  and see for a week
The machine does have a little bit of "intelligence" if you have an APAP.  Just because you have your pressure set to 16, or 18, or even 20 does not mean that the machine is running at those pressures all the time. I keep my machine set fairly "open" at min 8.6, max 20.  A typical night might see actual pressures around 14 with an average around 11, but every now and then, my max pressure will ramp up as high as 18.

As mentioned above, if you are not having any ill effects, it's not hurting anything having the max pressure higher.
If you are getting better AHI numbers at 18 than at 16, there's no reason not to run at 18.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2018, 08:25 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Without going on at length, have you eliminated a hiatus hernia as a contributing factor to your overall circumstances?

I am not sure if you meant this question for me or not.   It is still definitely a contributing factor for me, CPAP won't reverse this.  If I eat too much or drink too many fizzy drinks, things, uh, back up.  And I burp more than normal people.  But what GERD I have now is minor, occasional, and does not require a daily drug regimen.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,647 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 648 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,558 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,353 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,360 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,648 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.