Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Burning Smell?
RE: Burning Smell??
(12-05-2018, 07:55 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: It amazes me that in America there are no OFF switches.
Everything just runs 24 hours a day unless it has its own off switch.

Yes, it's stupid. However, it's likely that the stresses (startup surge current, etc.) of power-cycling the equipment at least once per day would make it wear out much quicker. (Which is good for business!)

The consumer-electronics equipment itself, downstream of the power supply, usually has a low-power mode, which just makes things even sillier: the brick or wall wart sits there eating electricity all the time, regardless, but the user selects low-power mode on the device and calls that George. (On the A10, you hold down the start/stop switch for a few seconds until the display goes blank.)

By the way, the insanity here in the USA is even more extreme, because the electricity utilities, which are 100% for-profit rapacious craporations with astronomical rates, like to hypocritically advertise (on billboards, on television, etc.) ways for consumers to reduce their electricity use. (What is wrong with this picture?) One of those ways is to plug all of the wall-warts into switched power strips and keep the switches off when the stuff isn't being used. (And later when it's switched on again, not only has the CPAP compliance data not been uploaded so the victim eventually has his or her machine repossessed, but with other consumer-electronics devices there's the good old blinking-12 problem ... oh, well, whatever. But I think the A10 will upload the data when it can, when it's powered on again, so maybe that isn't a problem.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2018, 08:26 AM)Fats Drywaller    I am thinking these power supplies are only drawing enough power as to what is going on per demand...  Meaning, if the device is not running, electricity use would be very minimal...??  But perhaps logic does fail here as it seems to in so many arenas in this world today...??@Fats Drywaller - I wanted to ask you about that F&P nasal pillow of yours.  I think you have their latest one.  While the Swift FX is my GOTO mask for comfort and DURABILITY, I tried that Pillaro a year ago and absolutely love it.  It\s like CPAP NASAL CRACK IMHO...  LOL.   I got a kick out of how may people buy one and state it leaks like a siv and it appears to be because they put them on upside down..   I found it odd feeling at first due to the penetration of the nasal prongs which aggravate the interior of the nasal passages for a few days getting use to the way they roll/stretch out up in yer nose, but I find the operation really excellent and comfort super.  The only problem was that I could really only get 3 months out of a pillow.  MY QUESTION is did you ever try the Pillaro?  And how does the Brevida compare?  Are the prongs as soft and do they go inside and line the nasal passages the same?  They look a little stiffer in the pic?  Also, I seem to recall the capacity of the Pillaro was around 8-10 it seemed like any more pressure and it would tend to leak.  I am guessing that Brevida was designed like the Pillaro but to handle a bit more air pressure??( I Don't know why the reply is bolding??) Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 07:55 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: It amazes me that in America there are no OFF switches.

Yes, it's stupid.  However, it's likely that the stresses (startup surge current, etc.) of power-cycling the equipment at least once per day would make it wear out much quicker.  (Which is good for business!)

The consumer-electronics equipment itself, downstream of the power supply, usually has a low-power mode, which just makes things even sillier: the brick or wall wart sits there eating electricity all the time, regardless, but the user selects low-power mode on the device and calls that George.  (On the A10, you hold down the start/stop switch for a few seconds until the display goes blank.)

By the way, the insanity here in the USA is even more extreme, because the electricity utilities, which are 100% for-profit rapacious craporations with astronomically high rates, like to hypocritically advertise (on billboards, on television, etc.) ways for consumers to reduce their electricity use.  (What is wrong with this picture?)  One of those ways is to plug all of the wall-warts into switched power strips and keep the switches off when the stuff isn't being used.  (And later when it's switched on again, not only has the CPAP compliance data not been uploaded so the victim eventually has his or her machine repossessed, but with other consumer-electronics devices there's the good old blinking-12 problem ... oh, well, whatever.)
Post Reply Post Reply
It is no wonder the power supplies get hot and smelly running all the time.
OFF in a lot of appliances these day is not off but a stand-by mode.
Think of the bills you could save if you had off switches that killed the power to everything that is not being used.

It is most likely the power brick.  I have notices that the Swift fx nasal pillows if not washed for a few days get a sort of hot almost burning smell.
It is just the silicone reacting, a good wash and it goes away.  It only appears to be the pillows themselves that picks up this smell, it is just a hint, but noticeable.  But best way is to unplug the power brick when not in use.  If the data from your machine get downloaded, tough, they can look at the data card when you go, or leave it on for an hour after use, then unplug it.  It would not be allowed to be left plugged in here without it being on a switched socket.

(Ok I get it now on the formatting sorry about the last reply)

It's def not the brick.  I am thinking/ HOPING that Resmed is good enough to have ample supply that won't overheat...?

On the silicone..  You may have something here.  Good information...  But I am thinking the pillow is reacting with the mildew or humid waterbox slime... I am just not seeing how a power supply 2-3 feet plus away from the box could even pull in fumes from an overworked power supply..  AM I misunderstanding all the posts about the power supply possibly being the issue...?
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't tried the Pilario.
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE on my burning smell issue.

Since cleaning everything the smell appears to be gone at this time.  I could not be sure last night because I overdid the clorox in the hose I think and there was a similar pungency remaining from that.  But this morning I awake and laying here and don't detect anything.  That hose was only 3 months old and I am really wondering if it could have been in the nasal pillow like @Sleep2snore suggested..  I am hopeful but...  We will see..

I will post an update in a day or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2018, 10:00 AM)BC3B Wrote: I could not be sure last night because I overdid the clorox in the hose I think and there was a similar pungency remaining from that.

Yummy!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea, love my Clorox..  Swam a lot as a child..  LOL

I am still not noticing anything, but now I have some sinus or cold act up.  So can't be sure.  If it is indeed that slime that was causing the pungent smell, it had to be in the hose or the pillow.  I really have only ever cleaned the water box truthfully.  Also makes me wonder too what that could be growing in there.  I don't do great with molds.  I tend to like to grow the clear stuff in my machine..  LOL  Read something on things that grow in them once just dont recall the specifics...

But I DO think that I would notice that bitter BURN sensation in the top of my sinuses if it was still there so maybe i'm in luck.  I am seriously hoping this RESMED is going to be a company to stick with.  Never going back to Phillips again...  Just garbage in comparison...  And THAT IS the high road on that topic...
Post Reply Post Reply
BCB3, I'd like to suggest you substitute dilute hydrogen peroxide for your sodium hypochlorite bleach. Both are oxidizers with strong antibacterial capability, but the peroxide has a mechanical action (fizz) and degrades to water, while the bleach is more difficult to rinse and has a residual odor. Peroxide costs less than $1.00 per quart at Walmart, and it goes a long way.

Daily rinsing of the humidifier chamber and allowing to dry should prevent biofilms from forming. I sometimes use a brewer's sanitizer Star-San, properly diluted as a rinse, and that prevents any problems, and is odorless and safe. Chlorine bleach is not good for you or the equipment, and there are better choices; however, it's your choice to make.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So anywayz and maybe my final update. I still dont have any burnt smell returning so I am very happy about that, and that this ResMed is turning out to be a solid as it started out. I told DME same today and let it die at this point barring any unforeseen ...

On the cleaning front. I am going to get a new heated hose to replace the one that came with it which I stepped on and broke. I believe my issue was slime buildup in this hose. Could have been the nasal pillow too. Time to replace that as well and probably moving back from current swift FX to F&P Pillairo. Might try that new one they have.

My DME also advised me he now carries some kind of new daily cleaning device that works via Ozone application. "So Clean" I think its called and about $300 BUCKS. Not sure on that yet. More stuff on night stand and all. But sure looks like a nice alternative that having to worry about all the cleaning and more importantly to be sure. Probably down the road on that as I just dont suspect growth in the heated hose is so much of an issue...
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2018, 03:17 PM)BC3B Wrote: My DME also advised me he now carries some kind of new daily cleaning device that works via Ozone application.  "So Clean" I think its called and about $300 BUCKS.  Not sure on that yet.  More stuff on night stand and all.  But sure looks like a nice alternative that having to worry about all the cleaning and more importantly to be sure.  Probably down the road on that as I just dont suspect growth in the heated hose is so much of an issue...

Don’t bother with the “So Clean” it does not clean, save yourself the money and wash with soap and water
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,808 5 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,812 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,226 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  Burning irritation from head gear Xltrod 0 439 10-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Resmed Climateline tubing smell wenfroed 21 7,659 10-08-2022, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Resmed Airsense 11 very warm to touch with burning smell Sweet72947 0 1,468 08-21-2022, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Sweet72947

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.