Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Burping and air in stomach
Burping and air in stomach
I just read the thread on the air in stomach... I have never thought that this is a problem... should I say something about it? It doesn't bother me I just wake in the morning and feel like I am full of air and have to sit up and do a couple of burps and feel great. sometimes it has felt a bit uncomfortable but I just thought it was normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Burping and air in stomach
It would be alright if the excess air only vacated the body as a burp.... Sadly there is also another way for ingested air to vacate the body. Sometimes silent but often deadly.... :~(
Post Reply Post Reply
It is common, normal and will most likely go away with time. It is only a problem if it is painful or waking you up.
Post Reply Post Reply
And sometimes it doesn't exit and can be rather painful..

(08-10-2013, 06:27 AM)Moriarty Wrote: It would be alright if the excess air only vacated the body as a burp.... Sadly there is also another way for ingested air to vacate the body. Sometimes silent but often deadly.... :~(

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2013, 11:12 AM)pdeli Wrote: And sometimes it doesn't exit and can be rather painful.

In my case it was very painful, lasted all day, and kept me awake at night. Of course I was also adapting to CPAP therapy at the time so I wasn't sleeping well anyway. I'm glad I finally got over that malady.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So what solved the problem or did it just go away? In my case they lowered the air (to 7, which seems low) and mine too lasted most of the day.

Phil

(08-14-2013, 01:01 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(08-14-2013, 11:12 AM)pdeli Wrote: And sometimes it doesn't exit and can be rather painful.

In my case it was very painful, lasted all day, and kept me awake at night. Of course I was also adapting to CPAP therapy at the time so I wasn't sleeping well anyway. I'm glad I finally got over that malady.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2013, 09:15 AM)pdeli Wrote: So what solved the problem or did it just go away? In my case they lowered the air (to 7, which seems low) and mine too lasted most of the day.

Below is an excerpt from our Apnea Board Wiki. I just edited it to add some more information. In my case the doctor first switched me to a BiPAP and then had to lower the pressure. I used the bent-neck strategy that I describe below. Eventually it did go away on its own. I've managed to tweak my pressure settings so that I'm now back in CPAP mode, but my pressure is still lower than what I was initially prescribed. I continue to tweak and am slowly raising my pressure. Since my therapy seems to be successful I'm going slow, raising my pressure by only 0.5 cm each month.

Here's the excerpt from the Wiki ...

Aerophagia associated with CPAP therapy is a condition that usually arises when patients are new to the therapy, or when there has been a recent increase in the prescribed CPAP pressure. The condition usually subsides on its own as patients adapt to the CPAP therapy. In cases where it doesn't the prescribing physician may lower the patient's pressure or have the patient switch to a bilevel (BiPAP) machine.

Some CPAP patients report that they can get relief in one of two ways. One way is to keep the head aligned with the neck while sleeping so that there is a straight pathway for the air to enter the lungs. In this way the air passes straight into the lungs instead of being diverted to the stomach. Some ways to accomplish this are to lay on your back with your head on a thin pillow or no pillow at all so that your neck stays straight instead of being kinked. Another strategy is to sleep on a wedge.

Paradoxically, the other way some patients have reported getting relief is to do just the opposite! That is, keep the chin tucked up against the chest thus kinking the neck. In this way the air doesn't reach the stomach because the passageway is kinked by the bent neck. This can be accomplished by sleeping on your back with a thick pillow or a pair of pillows, or sleeping on your side with your chin tucked against your chest.

Evidently these two strategies work differently in different people because of differences in their anatomy.

Temporary relief of the symptoms of aerophagia may be achieved by exercise or by drinking carbonated water. Patients undergoing CPAP therapy should consult with their medical care providers when experiencing the symptoms of aerophagia.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well that was helpful. When I was complaining about stomach air, they lowered the pressure to 7cfm. The stomach air went away, but then I felt like I wasn't getting enough air and exhaling was somewhat inhibited.

Now I'm reading that inhibited exhaling can be disruptive to one's sleep. I believe that's why I can't sleep through the night uninterrupted.

Although I'm seeing that a bipap is normally used to treat Central Sleep Apnea, I'm hoping that my upcoming 7 day trial (after Labor Day) will prove successful.

Phil

(08-15-2013, 11:30 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 09:15 AM)pdeli Wrote: So what solved the problem or did it just go away? In my case they lowered the air (to 7, which seems low) and mine too lasted most of the day.

Below is an excerpt from our Apnea Board Wiki. I just edited it to add some more information. In my case the doctor first switched me to a BiPAP and then had to lower the pressure. I used the bent-neck strategy that I describe below. Eventually it did go away on its own. I've managed to tweak my pressure settings so that I'm now back in CPAP mode, but my pressure is still lower than what I was initially prescribed. I continue to tweak and am slowly raising my pressure. Since my therapy seems to be successful I'm going slow, raising my pressure by only 0.5 cm each month.

Aerophagia associated with CPAP therapy is a condition that usually arises when patients are new to the therapy, or when there has been a recent increase in the prescribed CPAP pressure. The condition usually subsides on its own as patients adapt to the CPAP therapy. In cases where it doesn't the prescribing physician may lower the patient's pressure or have the patient switch to a bilevel (BiPAP) machine.

Some CPAP patients report that they can get relief in one of two ways. One way is to keep the head aligned with the neck while sleeping so that there is a straight pathway for the air to enter the lungs. In this way the air passes straight into the lungs instead of being diverted to the stomach. Some ways to accomplish this are to lay on your back with your head on a thin pillow or no pillow at all so that your neck stays straight instead of being kinked. Another strategy is to sleep on a wedge.

Paradoxically, the other way some patients have reported getting relief is to do just the opposite! That is, keep the chin tucked up against the chest thus kinking the neck. In this way the air doesn't reach the stomach because the passageway is kinked by the bent neck. This can be accomplished by sleeping on your back with a thick pillow or a pair of pillows, or sleeping on your side with your chin tucked against your chest.

Evidently these two strategies work differently in different people because of differences in their anatomy.

Temporary relief of the symptoms of aerophagia may be achieved by exercise or by drinking carbonated water. Patients undergoing CPAP therapy should consult with their medical care providers when experiencing the symptoms of aerophagia.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 05:43 PM)pdeli Wrote: Well that was helpful. When I was complaining about stomach air, they lowered the pressure to 7cfm. The stomach air went away, but then I felt like I wasn't getting enough air and exhaling was somewhat inhibited.

Lowering the pressure should make it easier to exhale. You can try different A-Flex settings to see what's more comfortable when exhaling.

Quote:Now I'm reading that inhibited exhaling can be disruptive to one's sleep. I believe that's why I can't sleep through the night uninterrupted.

It takes a while to get back to a normal sleeping pattern. You just have to be patient.

Quote:Although I'm seeing that a bipap is normally used to treat Central Sleep Apnea, I'm hoping that my upcoming 7 day trial (after Labor Day) will prove successful.

A simple BiPAP won't treat central apnea. It takes a more advanced machine called an ASV, which can also be a BiPAP.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
This couldn't be too much more complicated, which probably explains why so many people give up.

(08-17-2013, 05:43 PM)pdeli Wrote: Well that was helpful. When I was complaining about stomach air, they lowered the pressure to 7cfm. The stomach air went away, but then I felt like I wasn't getting enough air and exhaling was somewhat inhibited.

Now I'm reading that inhibited exhaling can be disruptive to one's sleep. I believe that's why I can't sleep through the night uninterrupted.

Although I'm seeing that a bipap is normally used to treat Central Sleep Apnea, I'm hoping that my upcoming 7 day trial (after Labor Day) will prove successful.

Phil

(08-15-2013, 11:30 AM)Sleepster Wrote:

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,152 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Leaks and mask displacement for side-to-stomach sleepers. Tape down nasal pillows? Bostonsnow 0 635 08-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  AHI/Apnea worst when sleeping on stomach chris94546 2 574 07-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Lots of mask leak and severe bloating / stomach pain upon waking. What can I do? exchanged 6 758 05-02-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Air in my stomach Old Bert 64 3,839 11-25-2022, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Old Bert
  Does sleeping on your stomach prevent Apnea? WWu777 7 1,702 08-17-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: theredheadsaid
  Air pushed into stomach Jimboiii 1 595 07-03-2022, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.