Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Busted hose
Busted hose
Ever since I got my gently used Autoset S9 from Supplier #2 I have been using the slimline hose. It came with the heated hose as well, but I've never used it.

So last night I was dreaming that I was on a horse trying to lasso a dogie. The hose and CPAP swung around my head ... and then the hose disconnected from the mask with a great whooshing noise. Did I say that I'm a very active sleeper?

OK, that was a lie. But I did pull on the hose while trying to roll over and the end came out of the connector. I stuffed it back in and it held. In the cold light of day I inspected it and inserted it more firmly, although I think it will come out of the connector again eventually. I was struck by how shabby the connection is between the hose and the connector.

I ordered a new one from eBay, but I am wondering if I should have ordered more than one. Is it normal for these hoses to fall apart so easily?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Busted hose
Hi JJJ,, I too am just using the slimline hose and although I haven't had any problems yet, I inspect it daily because it does seem to be very flimsy. Fortunately it hasn't come off the machine but am quite concerned about the hose just where it joins the rubber part because it seems quite brittle and fear it will easily crack. I have a spare one but will probably buy a few more. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hummm....sounds like a good use for some duct tape!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2013, 10:17 PM)Regular Joe Wrote: Hummm....sounds like a good use for some duct tape!!

Duct tape won't work because the hose is ribbed, not smooth.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about the slimline specifically, but the hoses are only supposed to last 90 days per US Medicare guidelines.

Many experienced CPAPers report them lasting much longer than that. It's a good idea to keep at least one spare on hand.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some folks have used epoxy resin then wrap some cloth or heavy cotton thread around the resin- the cloth/cotton absorbs the epoxy resin and it acts as a boot to cover the hole and also keep that part of the hose relatively stiff so that it won't bend around the patch much avoiding further cracking.

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Today I called Supplier #2, where I bought the S9 Autoset about a month ago. They are sending me a new hose at no charge. This is in addition to the new slimline hose I ordered on eBay last night. So I will have two, plus I plan to see if I can glue the old one back together. I don't want to do it until I have a replacement because I don't want to be breathing glue fumes all night. Better to let the glue cure for a long time.

I also have a brand new 22 mm hose for my PRS1, a machine that I no longer use because its card reader is broken. The connectors are the same size, of course, since all hoses have to fit all masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2013, 01:57 PM)JJJ Wrote: I also have a brand new 22 mm hose for my PRS1, a machine that I no longer use because its card reader is broken. The connectors are the same size, of course, since all hoses have to fit all masks.
you probably know this but just reminder for someone else
change the hose type selection to standard
slimline for the slimline and climateline hoses 15 mm

Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if I could splice out the bad part with a nylon double barbed hose connector?
Dont try with your climate-line hose though...

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,648 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Hose volume Willw 4 285 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 260 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 629 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,372 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 569 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 695 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.