Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Buy machine to avoid DME's hidden pricing behavior I find odious?
RE: Buy machine to avoid DME's hidden pricing behavior I find odious?
P.S. You want a machine that provides full data via SD card and whose data files can be imported by Sleepyhead. If you get an A10 or a Dreamstation, no problem. Otherwise be careful not to buy a brick (no full data or APAP) or a non-brick that can't be used with Sleepyhead, for instance an Apex Medical machine via Amazon. That last one isn't cheap anyway, so it's almost wasted money. Much better to get a "gently used" (low-mileage) A10 Autoset from somewhere else for the same amount or less.

Be sure to print, read, and re-read this article before buying a machine:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the list of Sleepyhead-compatible machines:

http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./wiki/Main_Page#CPAP_Machines

Fisher & Paykel machines (as distinct from masks) are not recommended generally, and ISTR reading somewhere that F&P (which is mainly a manufacturer of large household appliances, "white goods") is exiting the CPAP-machine business, which IMO is good, but will continue to make masks, which IMO is also good.

De Vilbiss machines are not at all recommended by me, for a bunch of good reasons I won't bore you with.

Go for Resmed. If you can't afford an A10 Autoset, see if you can get an S9 Autoset and its H5i humidifier.

BTW, Resmed history is interesting ... search for that and "Colin Sullivan" & browse & read. Fun stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at used A10 (though they list "S10", a typo?) vs S9 from Supplier2, it looks like:
$599 for the flowery "ResMed S10 AirSense AutoSet For Her with EPR and Integrated Heated Humidifier"
vs.
$379 for either silver or pink "Gently Used  ResMed S9 AutoSet with EPR without Heated Humidifier".

I lean toward the latter, mostly because I care a great deal about device size and I'm currently comfortable with my air flow without using my humidifier (and I don't have space in my bedroom to use the one I've got for my DreamStation until I buy new bedroom furniture and rearrange the entire room, a lower priority than buying a second CPAP machine.)

Now I have a couple of ResMed functional questions that have been generated by my reading of other DreamStation vs. ResMed comparison threads.

1) If I buy an A10 and object to having my data transmitted by default anywhere to anyone, I will need to do surgery on the machine to physically disconnect the built in modem unless I feel airplane mode is sufficient. The S9 does NOT have an onboard, integrated transmitter, correct, so no surgery required? Do both collect the same data for me to import to Sleepyhead?

2) The A10 looks like its widest side must face forwards to use the machine, is that right? So does the S9, but, without the humidifier attachment, it looks fairly narrow, more like my current DreamStation (and only point of comparison for CPAP machines seen IRL.) Am I understanding correctly that the S9 could therefore pack much smaller for travel by foregoing a detachable humidifier, like my DreamStation? Can either a pink or a silver humidifier H5i be used with either S9?

3) What features were added from S9 to A10 models? Especially relevant would be treatment options for a seemingly mixed apnea that is so far well treated by low (5-7) pressure with Flex OFF on DreamStation.

4) What, if any, difference is there between the S9 "for her" and standard silver, aside from color?

5) Will there be any support issues in buying an older model? I can see that some online shops are discontinuing the humidifier for the S9 already from my price comparisons, but how long are patients likely to be supported using existing S9 machines in the wild, given insurance replacements are only every 5 years, etc.? I realize this is a gamble, but have no way to estimate from personal experience if this is no big deal (like owning an older microwave oven) or a very big deal (like using a non-current smartphone.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Willo, look at Supplier #33 for a quote on the Airsense 10 Autoset For Her, and try "EXTRA3%" discount code. The machine with heated Climateline tube is $628 - 3%=$609.16 new and shipped. With unheated slimline, that is only $581. That sounds better than used to me.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
S9 has no integrated cellular modem, correct (it's an optional plug-in module that is a wart on the back of the machine).  S9 & A10 both collect the same data, correct.

A10, a.k.a. Air10, is sometimes called "S10" although that's not Resmed's term as far as I know.  I think "S" stood for "Sullivan" originally, didn't it?

I use the A10 with the hose outlet pointed toward the bed, which means back to front.  Depending on how you route the hose and the length of the hose, you could have the machine facing any which way.  As long as it's upright, it doesn't matter.  Standard hoses of 10 feet rather than 6 are available, but not the Resmed Climateline heated hose, I think.

The A10 is pretty compact, and is even smaller if you don't need humidification: you unplug the humidifier tank and plug in a replacement side cover from Resmed, selling for $15 to $20. If you don't want to bother with that, you leave the tank in place but empty, and switch off "Humidity Level" (which is actually heater temp) in the settings.

Other questions, don't know and will leave to others.

The user's guide for each machine (and each humidifier if separate) is available on the mfr's web site; just dig for the PDFs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Basically all your questions have been answered except the data transmission one. Even if you leave this option connected, your A10 hasn't been registered so no one will be expecting or looking for any data from it.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
User DanH gave these dimensions in an older DreamStation vs. A10 comparison thread (created by Tinkerbell on 03-04-2016)

Quote:7.6" W x 6.2" L x 3.3" H for a total of 155.5 cubic inches, and the Autoset 10's dimensions are 4.57" x 10.04" x 5.91" for a total of 271.17 cubic inches.

That's a huge difference for my intended use, and the size of the unit is a factor for me. (So is weight, but I haven't seen weight posted anywhere for either model.)

I found a ResMed data sheet online for the S9 and found these dimensions:
6.0” x 5.7” x 3.4”
At 116.3 cu in, that would make an S9 my first choice for travel.

If anyone has any/all of these and would also give me dimensions and weights for the power bricks, then I would really feel like I could make a good comparison!

If the S9 is smaller and cheaper than the A10, I would prefer to buy one of those used unless there is an obvious functional difference that applies to my most likely use case.

I'm still 100% open to learning more, so please don't think I've made up my mind. I'm just trying to underscore what I'm prioritizing as I realize I'm not typical (an awful lot of the time.) Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
The edit button doesn't seem to work for me, so I'll add in this new post the weights I found with more searching specifically for specification sheets:

DreamStation weight with power supply: 2.94 lbs / 1.33 kg
A10 weight with power supply: 44 oz/2.75 lbs
S9 weight (Docking station & unfilled (Cleanable) water chamber): 1.7lb (0.77 kg) 

I weighed and measured my Philips Respironics DreamStation 80 W power brick (minus the detachable wall cord which I couldn't easily access behind the bed) as a service for geeky types like me who might find this thread and care.
1 lb 0.2 oz / 460 g
~ 5.75" x 2.75" x 1.5"

Looking at the numbers above, I'd guess that S9 weight does NOT include its power brick, but would love confirmation from anyone who has one...
Post Reply Post Reply
OK here are the specs for my S9.
Base unit weight w/o humidifier: 1lb 13.5oz
90 watt power supply w/cords: 1lb 4.3oz

As far as the dimensions, I made a quick drawing. I hope it may help.
[attachment=9333]
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,183 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 352 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 522 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,355 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 365 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 369 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 517 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.