Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Buy machine to avoid DME's hidden pricing behavior I find odious?
RE: Buy machine to avoid DME's hidden pricing behavior I find odious?
Odious? Don't buy a machine if it already stinks. Can't get that out.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see you as a candidate for ASV, bit it sure would be nice if you had the Resmed Autoset instead of the Philips Dreamstation. When hypopnea and central are present it's just more useful to try EPR adjustments, than try to fight with Flex. It's way too early to move to a different therapy mode. Let's give the therapy adjustments in your other thread a shot first.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2018, 07:35 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Odious?  Don't buy a machine if it already stinks.  Can't get that out.

Odious and odorous are two different words. :Smile In both cases, something stinks.

So sorry you had this experience.  I put down hard numbers on the thing I signed and had the manager sign as well.  Medicare already determines what you will pay, so there should be no surprises, but some people have unfortunately, STILL had surprises.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe odoriferous?
Post Reply Post Reply
I assumed that OMMOHY was j/k, but as long as we are on the subject of DMEs:

Quote:What’s that smell in this room? Didn’t you notice it? Didn’t you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity? There ain’t nothing more powerful than the odor of mendacity!

(Big Daddy in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof)
Post Reply Post Reply
Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, but seriously now folks:

Probably I should clarify that I'm very inclined to purchase a machine, in part because I spend 20-30% of the year on the west coast, where I grew up, staying with my extended family. That usually includes two long visits during winter and summer holidays with my kids along (packing heavily not so troublesome), but also two or more short visits on my own. I live in New England, so this typically involves flying, sometimes for just one or two nights.

My travel philosophy is minimal. I carry a very small bag. The CPAP bag (I weighed/measured!) is half the weight and more than half the size of everything else I bring onto a plane. Carrying more is burdensome because of my arthritis/autoimmune condition. Requesting "assistance" from the airline, while possible, means delays (sometimes very long) and a loss of personal freedom.

I am fighting like hell to remain independent. I'm only in my 40's. I'm a full time mom to school aged kids. I'm not ashamed to ask for help, but depending upon it when I have any other choice is not something I will do without trying every other option first. If I must fly with my CPAP, it will almost definitely be checked (in a rigid case inside a well padded suitcase) or shipped FedEx.

For this reason, I am very inclined to purchase  a 2nd CPAP machine to keep at my parents' home.

I keep toiletries and basic clothing there, too. If I got a call (my mother is currently battling cancer), I could drive straight to the airport, board a plane with only my handbag, and not worry about needing any other stuff for a short stay.

My first thought was, I'm doing okay with the DreamStation thus far, so my cheapest option is to buy the CPAP portion of that. For now, I could carry my disposable bits (hose, mask); eventually, I would probably keep duplicates of those items with the 2nd machine.

But I hear loud and clear that I should seriously consider the other brand, the ResMed AirBahBlahBlah machine (names all sound too similar at this point; no more bandwidth to memorize it but would look up carefully here before buying.)

Is there any way to RENT CPAP machines short term while away? I will be spending 3 of the next 7 weeks out there already; depending upon Mom's response to her treatment, there may be other brief trips within the same period.

Maybe I can rent some out of network DME's AirXXX machine in Oregon or Washington for a cash price? Are board members allowed to mention names to find one who sucks less?

Mom's health crisis already means I'm spending about triple my usual holiday travel/gift budget just on flights and a hotel (she's immune compromised for now.) Even so, my financial position is such that I can handle paying out of pocket for at least a used CPAP, especially if it has long term savings implications.

I have been under a lot of stress. I've had to keep this from my kids while Mom figured out what she wanted to share, and when. And my own usual busy life and obligations (and chronic pain + fatigue) has meant not quite enough spare time to devote to figuring out my new CPAP as it is. (And people may have noticed, I've posted a fair bit. I am working as hard as I'm able to make the CPAP therapy work.)

Sorry since none of this was clear from the initial question. I didn't want to even post on a board about my mom until I'd been allowed to tell my kids about grandma's diagnosis, though I'm sure I'm more likely to snoop into their internet activity than vice versa.

I suppose, given that sleep apnea is typically a permanent diagnosis, I figured having any CPAP machine to use would be better than none, even if I need a fancier model eventually. If I got a call about my family, I wouldn't miss the next flight to go home for the CPAP.

--willo
Post Reply Post Reply
I was able to buy a used machine on e-bay. New things to go with are there too. Blessings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2018, 12:16 PM)willo Wrote: For this reason, I am very inclined to purchase  a 2nd CPAP machine to keep at my parents' home.

Even so, my financial position is such that I can handle paying out of pocket for at least a used CPAP, especially if it has long term savings implications.

To that end, check out Supplier #2.

Kudos for your efforts to be a good mom and a good daughter. Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply
These questions come up all the time, and the answer is simple: If you have the money, buy a machine ... and yes, you should definitely check out Supplier #2 because there are some good deals to be had there and mainly you're not buying a pig in a poke, as might be the case when getting a used machine via Craigslist, etc.

However, as has been mentioned a few times in other threads, there has lately been one seller on Craigslist who sells new, in-box Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and PR Dreamstation Auto machines at fairly reasonable prices, significantly less than the MSRP, plus $50 for shipping. That's one to consider.

If you don't have money to buy a machine, and if you're actually a charity case, then see https://www.sleepapnea.org/community/cpa...e-program/ for one possibility. Failing that, buy as inexpensive a machine as you can find from craigslist or ebay or letgo ... I don't mean right away necessarily, but whatever good deal happens to become available (check for new listings every day) during whatever time you have available to shop around.

The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, preferably the "for Her" model of that (which has the same MSRP), is recommended over and over, ad nauseam, because it's the best CPAP/APAP machine in the current generation: it's the culmination, the apotheosis, of everything below the bi-level tier of machines, the next step up. It's the one to get for basic CPAP/APAP, no doubt about it.

CPAP/APAP/ASV machines can't be rented like power tools, partly because they're too personal (Eeeeeew, don't touch that; you don't know where it's been!); if you don't deal with a DME and sign a rent-to-buy contract to pay megabucks over 13 months or whatever, then you buy a machine on your own, probably online. And if you buy a used one, make sure it's from a non-smoking household before closing the sale ... in addition to checking the total run hours!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,082 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 338 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 521 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,353 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 365 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 366 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 516 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.