Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Buying Advice for Autoset CPAP
Buying Advice for Autoset CPAP
I have a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset (actually the for "her" model) for demo and testing.  It's cool that it connects via cellular data but I don't think I can see all the data that the respirologist has access to when I log onto my account on the web. If I buy my own machine is there going to be any way to view my own data without beholding to someone else? While I'm seeking advice, what's your choice or favourite CPAP machine?  I'm currently using a Resmed S9 but the grief of get re-tested after weight loss and sinus surgery has me convinced that an auto set device is the answer. Thanks !
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Buying Advice for Autoset CPAP
Absolutley Yes

On your trial machine press and hold both the front facing buttons (the round knob, and the button below the screen)  this opens up any autoset to all of it's capability.
Does your trial machine have a SD card in it (Open the upper door on the left side).  If not put one in it over night.  

Now download SleepyHead software (see my sig) Organize the data then place the SD card into the computer you loaded Sleepyhead on.
You now have the capability to look at YOUR data in DETAIL.  You can actually see EVERY breath that you took while running the AutoSet, The "shape" of the breath and how long it took, the volume of your breaths etc.  

We don't usually need to see it in that detail but the capability is there.  You will (and currently do) have the ability to change ALL the settings available on the machine to tweak your treatment and you have us here on the forum to help you interpet what is happening and suggest changes in your therapy.

You can be in control if you wish.

I'll suggest setting it in APAP mode with a range of 8 to 20 (we will reduce the 20 after the first night) and see what it does for you.  Then post your results here.  That is called TESTING the unit.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Fred. My test machine does have an SD card in it and I already have the sleepyhead software.   I'll take a look in a few days after I have some data.  Can you explain the difference between the "for her" model and the "for him".  The "for her" must be interchangeable or else the respirologist never noticed I was a guy. The female version is nicer looking!   Rolleyes
After my first night with the machine using a Phillips Dreamwear nasal mask I think I will go back to my full faced mask. I had trouble with my lips leaking & flapping.   The biggest problem I have been having, when I stop breathing, the machine blows my lungs full and it becomes uncomfortablel, almost like my lungs are overfilled, then I feel like I can't exhale completely. Any ideas?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
There is an extra mode in that machine, the "for her" mode.  It is a less aggressive mode than the other auto modes, a softer mode if your will for the "fairer" sex.  We feel that it should be available on all models as it provides another option with which to provide your individual treatment.

If you have a nights data just post it.  if the forum doesn't let you just add a space in the url http abc.com/stuff
Please keep your posts in a single thread so we have a history on which to base recommendations on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi saskatoonie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
For Her actually responds faster to flow limitations. It's not less aggressive in auto mode. A video on this page may help.

http://www.resmed.com/ap/en/consumer/pro...r-her.html
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 08:20 PM)saskatoonie Wrote:  The biggest problem I have been having, when I stop breathing, the machine blows my lungs full and it becomes uncomfortable, almost like my lungs are overfilled, then I feel like I can't exhale completely. Any ideas?
Thanks

It does feel funny when you first start, you really are getting a full and enough breath, but the lungs don't completely empty with cpap. don't try to force it. just relax and let yourself breathe out as much as your body wants to. The funny feeling soon goes away,m as you get use to it.
your lungs won't be overfilled, CPAP pressure won't even inflate a balloon

you can also use the EPR function and set it to 1 or 2, this will reduce your exhale pressure by 1 or 2cm of pressure. That will also add to the feeling of normal breathing.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 455 11 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 5 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 116 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.