Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Buying CPAP from overseas
RE: Buying CPAP from overseas
It's one or the other, if you don't take out private health insurance and you then opt to go into it, you are penalised heavily. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. If you had an operation and you want a private room, you have to have insurance or you are in a public room or ward.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 05:53 AM)Gabby Wrote: I will have a look at the Phillips if it is $300.00 cheaper, that is nothing to be sneezed at. You think it is comparable to the Remsed Autoset S9?

As mentioned by others, it's probably largely a matter of personal preference and which devices algorithms work best for the particular user. I used a Philips Respironics 60 Series at a recent titration study and while quite different to what I was used to with my Resmed s9 Autoset, I felt more refreshed the following day. I undertook the study because I've always suffered a degree of tiredness despite being on CPAP for around 14 years.

(12-15-2013, 05:53 AM)Gabby Wrote: If I did buy machine overseas, when I get the first prescription, who would put that in to the machine? I like that you said Tez62 that after the initial script was put in, that people here would be able to help me, is that right?

If you provide the seller with your prescription they will set up the machine for you. People here can help with this or, alternatively, follow the instructions at the link at the top of this page to obtain the appropriate CPAP setup manual for your device and do it yourself.

(12-15-2013, 05:53 AM)Gabby Wrote: I don't suppose you can head me in the direction of any where decent to buy my machine from in Australia? Also what do you think about 2nd hand machines?

I can't really assist with this. I've tended to overpay for CPAP devices at a local bricks and mortar store so that I have someone accessible close by if needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 05:07 PM)Gabby Wrote: I would love to hear from any Australians that could perhaps recommend a decent place with good prices in our country if possible please.
In the past, I've bought some stuff from Supplier #13 from their Sydney office and on-line. They have offices in the Gold Coast which is not far from you and also your sleep clinic would have a list of CPAP sales shops or a pharmacy sell CPAP stuff
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 05:11 PM)Tez62 Wrote:
(12-15-2013, 05:53 AM)Gabby Wrote: I would definitely buy the mask in Australia. I will have a look at the Phillips if it is $300.00 cheaper, that is nothing to be sneezed at. You think it is comparable to the Remsed Autoset S9?
If I did buy machine overseas, when I get the first prescription, who would put that in to the machine? I like that you said Tez62 that after the initial script was put in, that people here would be able to help me, is that right?
Thank you for giving me info on my AHI, it now means something to me and I have an idea of how long I stopped breathing for.
No wonder I want to sleep all day long. I just want to get hooked up to a CPAP so I can start to live some sort of normal life again, I hope.
I don't suppose you can head me in the direction of any where decent to buy my machine from in Australia? Also what do you think about 2nd hand machines?
Surly, good thinking about Escape as back up. Will think about that. Still have to buy humidifier and mask and rent for two months before they give it to me.
This is all such a minefield. I am completely overwhelmed by it all. Thank goodness there are good people like yourselves willing to help the uninitiated.
I am sorry for all the jumbled questions.

Gabby, I was going to write back last night but lucky I left it, thinking more about it, if you are renting the Escape for 2 months, it maybe better to do that first and see how you go rather than lashing out and buying a more expensive machine straight up. You will still be able to see your hours of useage and AHI on the screen, so maybe write down your results each day and keep a record, that way it will give you time to get used to it and time to look around to get a bargain CPAP. If you get the Escape for free after the rental period and you then decide to get either a Elite or Auto set as jgjones said you can use the humidifier which will save you more money.
Can you tell me if you are going through a hospital, sleep clinic or someone else like a Chemist?
It sounds like you have you have only had the first sleep study so the next step is to have a second one with a mask or multiple masks on to work out the pressure that you will require or you may have already done this.
If you have you need to look at the type of mask you will want to use, as I mentioned there are 3 types nasal pillows (like small prongs that go up your nose), nasal mask (only goes over your nose) or if you are a mouth breather a full face mask (covers your nose and mouth).
This is all very daunting and will take time but you have plenty of time, you will more than likely be on it for the rest of your life and soon you will be helping and suggesting things to other newbies.
Relax, be patient and most of all stay positive about your new treatment soon you will be feeling normal again.

Tez62, I started with a sleep clinic and only just found out that I would be entitled to a free machine through the hospital, which I found out earlier today is an ELITE, not an Escape, so sorry for writing wrong information.
I am thinking I will change over to the hospital and acquire the Elite, I will have to buy the mask from where I rent machine for two months but not humidifier.
I will check out the Australian sites kindly shown to me but if still $300plus I might buy that in U.S.
What do you think about me doing that?
As much as everyone has recommended I purchase the Austoset or the Phillips, I think I am going to have to try and save as much money as I can. I would love to go out and buy top of the range, but it is just not viable with this option available.
Does the Elite do a printout?
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your great help again.
I found out the free machine I am able to get is NOT an Escape but a Resmed S9 ELITE, so sorry for writing wrong information.
I think I will probably go ahead and get the fixed Elite from the hospital.
I will still have to buy the humidifier and the mask plus rent the machine for two months.
At this point in my life that is sufficient money for me to be finding. I guess if I haven't known what an Autoset machine is like I have nothing to compare the fixed one to.
I value the fact that you all recommended the Autoset to me, but I cannot look a gift horse in the mouth.
I shall have to make sure I don't scrimp on my mask and get the best one available.
I shall be checking out the links that some of you were kind enough to send me, thank you.
I am a snorer and mostly a back sleeper, so do you think I will be needing a full face mask? I was hoping for just a nasal one!
I cannot wait to get my RX. It will not come quick enough. If anyone had told me that sleep apnea could make ones life so distressing, I never would have believed them. My heart goes out to everyone of you.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
ME50, i'm not sure if my problem was my insurance or with Medicare. Apparently things might have gone better if my sleep doctor had written an Autoset in my first RX. It's easy to get intimidated by all the BS they run us through. Right or wrong I was so damn happy to pay a hundred buck to get the Autoset. My only other option at that point was to buy one outright.

Wow you Aussies have it rough when it comes to health care. Although ours is getting more screwed up by the minute.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 08:43 PM)Gabby Wrote: Thanks everyone for your great help again.
I found out the free machine I am able to get is NOT an Escape but a Resmed S9 ELITE, so sorry for writing wrong information.
I think I will probably go ahead and get the fixed Elite from the hospital.
I will still have to buy the humidifier and the mask plus rent the machine for two months.
At this point in my life that is sufficient money for me to be finding. I guess if I haven't known what an Autoset machine is like I have nothing to compare the fixed one to.
I value the fact that you all recommended the Autoset to me, but I cannot look a gift horse in the mouth.
I shall have to make sure I don't scrimp on my mask and get the best one available.
I shall be checking out the links that some of you were kind enough to send me, thank you.
I am a snorer and mostly a back sleeper, so do you think I will be needing a full face mask? I was hoping for just a nasal one!
I cannot wait to get my RX. It will not come quick enough. If anyone had told me that sleep apnea could make ones life so distressing, I never would have believed them. My heart goes out to everyone of you.

You can try a nasal mask or nasal pillow and in my opinion, I would suggest trying that first. Peter has purchased masks that have a 30 day return policy (although he is in the US) and that would probably work for you. You may need a chin strap. I am a mouth breather and was started on a full face mask and had a lot of problems with them over almost 3 years. After Thanksgiving, I got a wisp nasal mask and a chin strap (see the photo under product reviews) and it has worked very well. I just had a sleep study using it and the chin strap and it was a very successful sleep study for me (the other 2 were total nightmares and I couldn't get to sleep and slept less than 3 hours). I am sure others will have suggestions for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 08:43 PM)Gabby Wrote: I value the fact that you all recommended the Autoset to me, but I cannot look a gift horse in the mouth.
I've an autoset but recently started using the machine at fixed pressure more like an elite
S9 elite as good as the autoset without the auto function, not everyone need an auto machine
The problem is to do with price, the price difference between autoset and elite something like $500 in Australia while in US on-line about $40

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 08:30 PM)Gabby Wrote: Tez62, I started with a sleep clinic and only just found out that I would be entitled to a free machine through the hospital, which I found out earlier today is an ELITE, not an Escape, so sorry for writing wrong information.
I am thinking I will change over to the hospital and acquire the Elite, I will have to buy the mask from where I rent machine for two months but not humidifier.
I will check out the Australian sites kindly shown to me but if still $300plus I might buy that in U.S.
What do you think about me doing that?
As much as everyone has recommended I purchase the Austoset or the Phillips, I think I am going to have to try and save as much money as I can. I would love to go out and buy top of the range, but it is just not viable with this option available.
Does the Elite do a printout?

Gabby, yes, you can use two different types of software to see your data either ResScan or Sleepyhead, I use Sleepyhead, both are free to download, we will show you how to download and read it when you get your CPAP. I think you are on the right track with what you are doing, give the Elite a go.
Post Reply Post Reply
With a choice between getting a free Elite or paying for an AutoSet, taking the Elite is definitely the way to go. The Elite is fully data capable and you will be able to track your sleep quality as well as use the data to help with figuring out if adjustments in pressure need to be made. The only reason I would usually recommend an AutoSet over an Elite is that, as Zonk mentioned, the price difference here in the US is negligible and the Auto feature is definitely worth a few extra bucks. If your pressure needs to be adjusted, with the Elite it might take a little more work to figure out where to take your pressure, but you will have the data you need to figure it out.
In any case, the Elite will be much better for you than an Escape.

As for masks...try all of them you can! Everybody is different when it comes to masks.
Some people are mouth breathers, but can figure out tricks to keep the mouth closed and use the nasal interface. Some people aren't mouth breathers, but pressure escapes through the mouth and can't seem to figure anything out to fix it...
My advice would be to start out with nasal mask or pillows and try to make it work, but don't be dead set on making it work. If it's hard making a nasal interface work, then try Full Face mask. Full Face might do the trick for you, or might cause problems that make you more determined to make a nasal interface work.

There are quite a lot of mask models and a lot of difference in face shapes and features, so the only real way to find the right mask for you is to try out as many as you can. You might hit stumbling blocks here and there, leaks etc. Once you have certain specific problems you can post here about them and people can give good advice about fixing them or their opinion on whether or not a change in mask type or model is in order.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 700 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,533 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,981 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,083 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 638 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying used vauto with replaced motor? fishfinderG 1 577 12-06-2022, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.