Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Buying CPAP from overseas
RE: Buying CPAP from overseas
(12-15-2013, 09:28 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-15-2013, 08:43 PM)Gabby Wrote: I value the fact that you all recommended the Autoset to me, but I cannot look a gift horse in the mouth.
I've an autoset but recently started using the machine at fixed pressure more like an elite
S9 elite as good as the autoset without the auto function, not everyone need an auto machine
The problem is to do with price, the price difference between autoset and elite something like $500 in Australia while in US on-line about $40

Thanks Zonk for telling me you are using a fixed pressure at the moment.
I figure I shall give it a try and in the meanwhile put the dollars away for an Autoset down the track if needed.
This is a great site with great people. Thanks again Zonk.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 10:22 PM)Tez62 Wrote:
(12-15-2013, 08:30 PM)Gabby Wrote: Tez62, I started with a sleep clinic and only just found out that I would be entitled to a free machine through the hospital, which I found out earlier today is an ELITE, not an Escape, so sorry for writing wrong information.
I am thinking I will change over to the hospital and acquire the Elite, I will have to buy the mask from where I rent machine for two months but not humidifier.
I will check out the Australian sites kindly shown to me but if still $300plus I might buy that in U.S.
What do you think about me doing that?
As much as everyone has recommended I purchase the Austoset or the Phillips, I think I am going to have to try and save as much money as I can. I would love to go out and buy top of the range, but it is just not viable with this option available.
Does the Elite do a printout?

Gabby, yes, you can use two different types of software to see your data either ResScan or Sleepyhead, I use Sleepyhead, both are free to download, we will show you how to download and read it when you get your CPAP. I think you are on the right track with what you are doing, give the Elite a go.

Thanks Tez62 for all of your advice. I feel much better now that I have decided which path I will follow. I have all the paperwork in order and will send it off to the hospital. I shall go along with 2nd part of private sleep study, with masks at end of January as I don't think the hospital will have seen me by then. That way I will have all the relevant information ready for them when my visit time arrives.
The nurse I spoke with advised me to proceed this way, so hopefully it is the way to go.
So much has been clarified to me through this forum.
I just can't thank everyone enough.Thanks
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby, have a good Christmas and you can look forward to a bright new year with your CPAP, ask any more questions you have prior to your sleep study. A couple of things you can do that may reduce the apnea's until you get the machine are try sleeping on your side as much as possible or try proping your head up as much as possible if you are sleeping on your back. Before I was diagnosed I used to sleep on my stomach, it wasnt very comfortable but did allow me to sleep a little bit. Let us know when you ahve had your sleep study and how you went, hopefully it may be bought forward.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
Just had great news today. Received a phone call from Sleep Clinic and they have had a cancellation, so I am going for my second test this Saturday night. I cannot wait.
I am so anxious to get my machine up and running and hopefully reap the benefits.
After Saturday I hope I will have some sort of idea of what kind of mask I will be needing.
I am mostly a back sleeper but sleep sitting up and I am a snorer.
I would love to be able to have a ResMed Swift FX Nasal Pillow Mask. The reviews read well and they look comfortable but I am not sure if they would be suitable for me.
My AHI was 17.5.
I am so excited about Saturday.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask and how it works depends more on you than anything else. For the first time in almost 3 years, I was told that the sleep lab should start people off on nasal masks or pillows and go to ffm as a last resort. Even mouth breathers can use these with the aid of a chin strap or some are able to learn to keep their mouth closed while sleeping (I don't think I am one of those). I am a mouth breather and am having a good experience with the wisp nasal mask and a chin strap. The mask is very individual as our face shape, nose shape, etc. are very different and what works for one may not work for the next person. I personally don't like Resmed because their head gear leaves a lot to be desired. I tried Quattro FX and Mirage Quattro as well as the Amara Gel (not a Resmed mask) and all 3 failed in my book but other people love them. I do like the Resmed S9 auto set though but that is what I have use the most. I had one other machine that I would have to pull out and see what kind it is but I didn't use it much.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2013, 06:38 AM)Gabby Wrote: Hi,
Just had great news today. Received a phone call from Sleep Clinic and they have had a cancellation, so I am going for my second test this Saturday night. I cannot wait.
I am so anxious to get my machine up and running and hopefully reap the benefits.
After Saturday I hope I will have some sort of idea of what kind of mask I will be needing.
I would love to be able to have a ResMed Swift FX Nasal Pillow Mask. The reviews read well and they look comfortable but I am not sure if they would be suitable for me.
My AHI was 17.5.

Well done Gabby, it may take a couple of weeks to get the results due to Christmas and New Years but it is much better than the end of January. What I felt and a number of others feel is a huge burst of energy the day after this sleep study as it will be the first time you have had been breathing properly for a long time. Try to relax during it and get as much sleep as you can, it is difficult with all the wires attached again, let us know how you go, it's another step in your long journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gabby,
good luck to you at your sleep study.
I look forward to hearing how it went for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2013, 08:24 AM)me50 Wrote: The mask and how it works depends more on you than anything else. For the first time in almost 3 years, I was told that the sleep lab should start people off on nasal masks or pillows and go to ffm as a last resort. Even mouth breathers can use these with the aid of a chin strap or some are able to learn to keep their mouth closed while sleeping (I don't think I am one of those). I am a mouth breather and am having a good experience with the wisp nasal mask and a chin strap. The mask is very individual as our face shape, nose shape, etc. are very different and what works for one may not work for the next person. I personally don't like Resmed because their head gear leaves a lot to be desired. I tried Quattro FX and Mirage Quattro as well as the Amara Gel (not a Resmed mask) and all 3 failed in my book but other people love them. I do like the Resmed S9 auto set though but that is what I have use the most. I had one other machine that I would have to pull out and see what kind it is but I didn't use it much.
Hi Me50, thanks for your advice on masks. I have checked out the wisp and the Resmed mirage FX, and at the moment I am really liking the Resmed.
I am hoping I will be able to use this mask and won't need a FF one. As you suggested I will probably need a chin strap.
When I go on Saturday night for my study I am going to ask if I will be able to have a go with one of these.
I don't know what my chances of striking lucky first time will be, but I will keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer me.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2013, 03:14 PM)Tez62 Wrote:
(12-17-2013, 06:38 AM)Gabby Wrote: Hi,
My AHI was 17.5.

Well done Gabby, it may take a couple of weeks to get the results due to Christmas and New Years but it is much better than the end of January. What I felt and a number of others feel is a huge burst of energy the day after this sleep study as it will be the first time you have had been breathing properly for a long time. Try to relax during it and get as much sleep as you can, it is difficult with all the wires attached again, let us know how you go, it's another step in your long journey.
Tez62, I am so looking forward to this burst of energy! It is funny you should mention this because a couple of weeks ago I went into hospital for day surery and had a general anaesetic, and the next day at home I had so much energy. I was buzzing around everywhere. I didn't know what had come over me. I hadn't had so much energy in I don't know how long. I felt fantastic. It only lasted a day but I was thinking that it could have had something to do with the tube the anaesetic guy put down my throat and what ever, oxygen I think that was getting delivered in to me. That is my theory any way. If I feel that good after Saturday night, I can't wait. I will line up all these jobs that need to be done for Sunday. Because you can bet anything you like, come Monday I will feel like a lump of lead again.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 07:07 AM)Gabby Wrote:
(12-17-2013, 08:24 AM)me50 Wrote: The mask and how it works depends more on you than anything else. For the first time in almost 3 years, I was told that the sleep lab should start people off on nasal masks or pillows and go to ffm as a last resort. Even mouth breathers can use these with the aid of a chin strap or some are able to learn to keep their mouth closed while sleeping (I don't think I am one of those). I am a mouth breather and am having a good experience with the wisp nasal mask and a chin strap. The mask is very individual as our face shape, nose shape, etc. are very different and what works for one may not work for the next person. I personally don't like Resmed because their head gear leaves a lot to be desired. I tried Quattro FX and Mirage Quattro as well as the Amara Gel (not a Resmed mask) and all 3 failed in my book but other people love them. I do like the Resmed S9 auto set though but that is what I have use the most. I had one other machine that I would have to pull out and see what kind it is but I didn't use it much.
Hi Me50, thanks for your advice on masks. I have checked out the wisp and the Resmed mirage FX, and at the moment I am really liking the Resmed.
I am hoping I will be able to use this mask and won't need a FF one. As you suggested I will probably need a chin strap.
When I go on Saturday night for my study I am going to ask if I will be able to have a go with one of these.
I don't know what my chances of striking lucky first time will be, but I will keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer me.

The one thing I do not like about Resmed's masks are that they don't last very long and the Velcro just seemed to keep popping off and it would wake me up and I was forever trying to get the Velcro to stay on and it would continually pop off. With the wisp, you can just take it off and put it on over your head but I decided to unclip one side because the clips are really easy to put back on even in the dark. The Quattro Mirage was miserable trying to put it back on. Amara Gel was easier than the Quattro Mirage but still not as easy as the wisp. So, hopefully you will do well with the nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 700 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,538 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,982 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,083 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 639 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying used vauto with replaced motor? fishfinderG 1 578 12-06-2022, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.