Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Buying CPAP from overseas
RE: Buying CPAP from overseas
Tez62, I am so looking forward to this burst of energy! It is funny you should mention this because a couple of weeks ago I went into hospital for day surery and had a general anaesetic, and the next day at home I had so much energy. I was buzzing around everywhere. I didn't know what had come over me. I hadn't had so much energy in I don't know how long. I felt fantastic. It only lasted a day but I was thinking that it could have had something to do with the tube the anaesetic guy put down my throat and what ever, oxygen I think that was getting delivered in to me. That is my theory any way. If I feel that good after Saturday night, I can't wait. I will line up all these jobs that need to be done for Sunday. Because you can bet anything you like, come Monday I will feel like a lump of lead again.
[/quote]

Gabby, it sounds like a good theory to me Smile, like I said it happened to me but not to everyone.
I also got the same feeling for about a week after starting on my CPAP. It then seems to go back to how you were and then slowly gets better over time.
For me it took 3 - 6 months to get the full effect. My theory is that our bodies have been so sleep and oxygen deprived for so long, in my case 48 years, my body is now regenerating or regrowing. There are other strange things that happen to our bodies, in my case my eye sight has got better, my skin has lost moles and patches, the hair on my head and legs has re grown and other things. People don't believe me but I can compare tests I had pre being diagnosed and are proven correct.

Post Reply Post Reply
Tez62 is correct, everyone is different. Yet I did not notice that great burst of energy to run marathons or had things growing but couple of noticeable important things ... no longer fall asleep at the movies and wake up with that terrible headache or having bad dreams

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gabby, Like you I have found this forum excellent for assistance, would also like to put my vote in for the Resmed S9 Autoset with the H5i humidifier, I made my purchase from the good ole USA some 8 weeks back using Supplier number 10 on the list, (no script required)
There were no problems at all with the process and it took about a week to arrive via FedEx, but you will need to keep an eye on the US$ as it may take you over the AUS$1000 and this will then be subject to GST and import duty, this of course taking the shine off a bit, may have to buy the S9 unit first and then make another purchase for the H5i humidifier later Smile
I had no problems with the setup and just used the settings from the sleep test machine, to which I had noted earlier, this rather than spend $100 to obtain a script from Sleep Doctor, yes $100 and that was because I chose not to purchase from them at the highly inflated price.
Good luck and great to see you that you are not going to be sucked in by the local rip off prices!

Leon

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 08:41 PM)jumbuk Wrote: Hi Gabby, Like you I have found this forum excellent for assistance, would also like to put my vote in for the Resmed S9 Autoset with the H5i humidifier, I made my purchase from the good ole USA some 8 weeks back using Supplier number 10 on the list, (no script required)
There were no problems at all with the process and it took about a week to arrive via FedEx, but you will need to keep an eye on the US$ as it may take you over the AUS$1000 and this will then be subject to GST and import duty, this of course taking the shine off a bit, may have to buy the S9 unit first and then make another purchase for the H5i humidifier later Smile
I had no problems with the setup and just used the settings from the sleep test machine, to which I had noted earlier, this rather than spend $100 to obtain a script from Sleep Doctor, yes $100 and that was because I chose not to purchase from them at the highly inflated price.
Good luck and great to see you that you are not going to be sucked in by the local rip off prices!

Leon

Leon, that is fantastic information for Australian Sleep Apnea sufferers.
I have worked out my gear. I have found out I am able to obtain an inferior model through the Govt., but I am unable at this point in time to look a gift horse in the mouth.
However, I still need to buy the H5i Humidifier, which I note the site you mentioned sell them for $149.95, compared $899.00 here, in this wonderful country of ours. So I will now proceed to buy it from them.
Down the track I hope to purchase the Autoset machine and I will definitely be buying it from the U.S.
I hope other Australian readers see your post and benefit from it.
Thank you for letting me know.
Good on you, well done!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gabby, like you I have found this forum to be most helpful with all matters of this strange new problem we have found ourselves with.
I have also been through two sleep tests with the Sleep Centre, and it didn't take long to figure we in Australia are being some what ripped off in any purchases made here.
The centre wanted me to pay $100 extra for a script, reason being I wouldn't purchase from them, I think that a bit steep considering I had already paid $900 to them for tests!
I went for the Resmed S9 Autoset with the H5i humidifier (dry in WA), and purchased from the good ole USA from supplier 10, arrived within a week via FedEx (NO Script required).
The S9 is extremely quiet and doesn't disturb you or anyone else in the room at night, main reason for purchase also its data collected, can easy check each day your AHI.
You would have to keep a close eye on the value of the US$ to the AU$, as any purchases plus freight need to be below AU$1000 or else you will incurr GST and Import duties and this would take the shine off a little.
Possibly purchase the S9 in one transaction followed by the H5i humidifier in another, that is if you need the humidifier, need it in WA as we have 16% to 20% humidity on several ocassions at night.
Setting up is easy, and there is always help here, hey the S9 is AUTO, it will sort you out, the only negative is, may have problem with Warranty!! worth the risk, to right.

Leon
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 10:31 PM)jumbuk Wrote: Hi Gabby, like you I have found this forum to be most helpful with all matters of this strange new problem we have found ourselves with.
I have also been through two sleep tests with the Sleep Centre, and it didn't take long to figure we in Australia are being some what ripped off in any purchases made here.
The centre wanted me to pay $100 extra for a script, reason being I wouldn't purchase from them, I think that a bit steep considering I had already paid $900 to them for tests!
I went for the Resmed S9 Autoset with the H5i humidifier (dry in WA), and purchased from the good ole USA from supplier 10, arrived within a week via FedEx (NO Script required).
The S9 is extremely quiet and doesn't disturb you or anyone else in the room at night, main reason for purchase also its data collected, can easy check each day your AHI.
You would have to keep a close eye on the value of the US$ to the AU$, as any purchases plus freight need to be below AU$1000 or else you will incurr GST and Import duties and this would take the shine off a little.
Possibly purchase the S9 in one transaction followed by the H5i humidifier in another, that is if you need the humidifier, need it in WA as we have 16% to 20% humidity on several ocassions at night.
Setting up is easy, and there is always help here, hey the S9 is AUTO, it will sort you out, the only negative is, may have problem with Warranty!! worth the risk, to right.

Leon
Hi Gabby

I too have purchased the Resmed S9 Autoset and masks from the US. Please note that CPAP equipment is NOT subject to GST and customs duty in Australia, as long as you declare it correctly when you receive the notification advice from Customs if your total package value exceeds $1000. The customs jargon for this equipment is "90192000/85" - make sure you use that description when they ask you to declare what's inside the package. You may still have to pay around $48 for their handling fees, though.

Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 10:51 PM)c604 Wrote:
(12-18-2013, 10:31 PM)jumbuk Wrote: Hi Gabby, like you I have found this forum to be most helpful with all matters of this strange new problem we have found ourselves with.

Leon
Hi Gabby

I too have purchased the Resmed S9 Autoset and masks from the US. Please note that CPAP equipment is NOT subject to GST and customs duty in Australia, as long as you declare it correctly when you receive the notification advice from Customs if your total package value exceeds $1000. The customs jargon for this equipment is "90192000/85" - make sure you use that description when they ask you to declare what's inside the package. You may still have to pay around $48 for their handling fees, though.

Ron
Cheers Ron, I shall be sure to keep that number handy for when I need it. It is ridiculous that we have to go overseas to save quite a substantial amount of money, after all we are not talking peanuts here. They really know how to rob us blind here.
Thanks for taking the time to give us that information.
Gabby
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 05:05 PM)Tez62 Wrote:
(12-18-2013, 07:18 AM)Gabby Wrote:
Tez62, I am so looking forward to this burst of energy! It is funny you should mention this because a couple of weeks ago I went into hospital for day surery and had a general anaesetic, and the next day at home I had so much energy. I was buzzing around everywhere. I didn't know what had come over me. I hadn't had so much energy in I don't know how long. I felt fantastic. It only lasted a day but I was thinking that it could have had something to do with the tube the anaesetic guy put down my throat and what ever, oxygen I think that was getting delivered in to me. That is my theory any way. If I feel that good after Saturday night, I can't wait. I will line up all these jobs that need to be done for Sunday. Because you can bet anything you like, come Monday I will feel like a lump of lead again.

Gabby, it sounds like a good theory to me Smile, like I said it happened to me but not to everyone.
I also got the same feeling for about a week after starting on my CPAP. It then seems to go back to how you were and then slowly gets better over time.
For me it took 3 - 6 months to get the full effect. My theory is that our bodies have been so sleep and oxygen deprived for so long, in my case 48 years, my body is now regenerating or regrowing. There are other strange things that happen to our bodies, in my case my eye sight has got better, my skin has lost moles and patches, the hair on my head and legs has re grown and other things. People don't believe me but I can compare tests I had pre being diagnosed and are proven correct.
[/quote]
Tez62 and Zonk,
I have suffered chronic daily headaches, waking with them every morning for the best part of thirty years. So if I receive any sort of relief after using the CPAP machine, it will literally change my life.
I have tried everything over the years to try and relieve myself of these headaches so if this one of those strange things that happens to my body, I will not mind in the slightest.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby, headaches are a symptom of sleep apnea, doctors try to fix symptoms with meds not fix the problem, I think your heading in the right direction, only a couple of nights till your sleep study Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I did exactly what you are suggesting. I'm in Singapore. A Resmed S9 auto set costs USD$2300 here, and sadly it's made in Singapore. In the US it cost less than US$900. Most shops I came across were difficult to communicate with, largely because of email and time difference. I found a really good one with LIVE CHAT so I could talk and liaise with them in real time. The prescription part wasn't so difficult. Go to the American board of sleep medicine and look for a certified doctor where you are.
I got the one in Singapore to write me a prescription, which I emailed to the place I bought my S9. All accepted and now the prescription is on file. Only thing is you have to find shipping options as most companies will not ship outside US. Pm me for more details if you're need any
More help
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,525 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,981 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,083 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 638 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying used vauto with replaced motor? fishfinderG 1 577 12-06-2022, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.