Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Buying a machine without Rx?
RE: Buying a machine without Rx?
Hi Gaspnea,
You have a legal right to your prescriptions. If you choose to buy your machine without the aid of insurance, that is your business. I decided to go outside of insurance and i went to supplier number two on our supplier list and purchased a gently used model for a VERY cheap price. this allowed me to provide myself with therapy unfettered by the bounds of insurance! Do whatever you need to do to provide yoiurself with whatever you need!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #1 has a form you can fill out with your doctor's contact info. They take it from there and get the prescription directly from your doctor. All you have to do is give the doctor your permission, but the doctor must release the prescription.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gaspnea, I would look at Supplier #2 on the supplier list here on this board, I have heard a lot of great things about them. Best of luck to you and I look forward to reading more of your posts.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2012, 06:22 PM)Gaspnea Wrote: Wow, thanks guys. Lots of different things here to consider. The machine they would have given me today was a ResMed Elite S9 with a humidifier that can be used optionally. The wireless transponder or whatever you call it hooks onto the back of the machine, which means that machine has built-in little hooks where it attaches. So does that mean that ResMed is in kahoots (sp?) with Blue Cross and Carecentrics? Hah! I didn't think of that 'til now. Like...hmmm...why would that machine have those attachment hooks? Anyway, I'll ask my doctor for the actual Rx and then check out of those supplier sites you posted. I'm bummed about this because I really wanted to start using the machine tonight and start to get my brain back! I'll post back when I have answers so maybe others can benefit from the info. Thanks again!

The S9 Elite is a fine machine. It would be better to have an S9 AutoSet, but you may have trouble getting a DME to "upgrade" to the S9 AutoSet unless the doctor prescribes a pressure range.

Basically the AutoSet can do everything the Elite does, plus it has a few more options. The DMEs usually make a smaller profit on the AutoSet, so many of them will try to sell you the Elite. It will provide the therapy prescribed by the doctor, so this is "OK," as far as they're concerned.

Be sure to NOT buy an S9 Escape, Escape Auto, or a Respironics Plus machine. They have limited data.

Some years back, they started putting memory cards in CPAP machines to collect data. This is actually in your best interest. A good doctor or a smart patient can read the data on these cards and figure out a lot about how well the CPAP is working, and your doctor can even adjust your therapy remotely. (If you have one of the machines that records good data.)

The insurance "compliance" requirement has been in the CPAP machines for a long time. Even without the memory cards. The machine would track how many nights you use the machines over 4 hours and some other stuff. You'd have to phone in some numbers or bring the machine in to the DME to verify compliance.

Adding the removable memory cards makes it easier on the patient. You mail them the card, they check it, adjust your therapy settings on the card, then mail it back to you. It saves you time and money, and gets you better treatment if they do it right.

The wireless transmitter is called a "modem." It works through the cell phone system. ResMed and Respironics offer this option to all their DMEs for a monthly fee. It's actually in your best interest because it's less work than mailing in the card, and your doctor/DME can check your results nightly, find problems, give you advice, and adjust your therapy remotely.

If you go through your insurance, you will be monitored, at least for usage. Even if you don't have the modem. In theory, that is. Many of them never actually check.

You are right on one thing. The manufacturers consider the DMEs, doctors, and insurance companies to be their customers, not the patients. Most patients are sheep who take what the Godlike doctor gives them.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
As it turns out, we rent the machines for 90 days, which is the "probation" period. Our insurance pays 100% as long as we use the machine for 4 hours a night, every night. After the 90 days we can buy the machine, for which our insurance also then foots the bill 100%. Well, this is what they tell us over the phone. We shall see...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,238 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 754 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,846 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 843 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 2,066 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,106 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 668 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.