Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Buying a new CPAP...Airsense 10 or Autoset??
Buying a new CPAP...Airsense 10 or Autoset??
I have VERY old resmed that works fine. I went to a new sleep doctor and he said "you need a new one, they have stopped repairing these now" (its 10 years old). I have Severe Sleep Apnea and went to buy one today from Sleepdirect, and I went for the Resmed (I have that brand) Airsense 10 Elite. I sent in my script and they came back saying "You need the Airsense 10 Autoset since your doctor said 5-15"

The doctor did change the pressure level on my old Resmed CPAP by increasing it, and it has been fine since.

I've read a number of postings where people are reporting problems with their Autoset. So, not really sure which one I should go with? Or do I rent one locally and try each one out?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Buying a new CPAP...Airsense 10 or Autoset??
(03-29-2016, 03:41 PM)kurtb2000 Wrote: I have Severe Sleep Apnea and went to buy one today from Sleepdirect, and I went for the Resmed (I have that brand) Airsense 10 Elite. I sent in my script and they came back saying "You need the Airsense 10 Autoset since your doctor said 5-15"
Hi kurtb2000
I assume you're in US, it does make sense to go with the AutoSet as only few dollars is the price difference between the two machines and the AutoSet can be used in either auto or cpap mode, while the Elite only does cpap mode. You might also consider the A10 AutoSet for Her, same price as the AutoSet but comes in a different colour and have extra features. If the heated hose doesn't come with the machine, I do recommend to get one, can make life a bit easier on cold nights without having to worry about rainouts
As for problems, don't let that worry you, all machines can develop some problems but they do comes with two years manufacturer warranty

Best of luck

[Image: ResMed-AirSense-10.png]
[should say "AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, Elite or CPAP"]

"CPAP" is the basic model and the one to avoid

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kurtb2000,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If your doc changed your pressure to 5-15, you will need to get, either a Resmed AutoSet or the Respironics brand of AutoPAP machine, (I’m not sure of the model numbers, there are so many.)
Check out this link, its a great guide to help you with which machines to buy and which ones to avoid: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2016, 03:41 PM)kurtb2000 Wrote: I sent in my script and they came back saying "You need the Airsense 10 Autoset since your doctor said 5-15"

Given that the script gives a pressure range, it infers an Autoset. The Airsense 10 Elite is fixed pressure; and does not conform to the script.

The few problems with the 10 series Autosets have been minor. Some complain of noise; and the original water tank design resulted in some tanks leaking. But, all in all, a good machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone. I wanted to make sure that someone was trying to sell me something I don't need. As for the pressure range, my new sleep doctor said "I don't know why they started you off so low with this for your weight." (uh, thanks), then he says "who's your insurance? Oh, you will have to pay for your CPAP if you want a new one."

I have a Resmed S7 Elite, and it still works fine, but my wife wants me to have a new one. So, I can have a spare.

Think I will go with the Resmed S10 Autoset
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2016, 08:31 PM)kurtb2000 Wrote: Thanks for the replies everyone. I wanted to make sure that someone was trying to sell me something I don't need. As for the pressure range, my new sleep doctor said "I don't know why they started you off so low with this for your weight." (uh, thanks), then he says "who's your insurance? Oh, you will have to pay for your CPAP if you want a new one."

I have a Resmed S7 Elite, and it still works fine, but my wife wants me to have a new one. So, I can have a spare.

Think I will go with the Resmed S10 Autoset

I haven't heard any particular indications that the AutoSet is more problematical than the Elite. I wouldn't expect there to be more problems.

Don't take their word for the insurance question. The real answer is often different.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would opt for the Autoset for Her.
I would also check with the insurance company directly and get their answer in writing. Often if you call 3 times you can get 3 different answers, sometimes from the same person.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 27 507 36 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 845 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 169 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 218 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 301 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.