Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Buying a new CPAP without a prescription
Buying a new CPAP without a prescription
Hello all.   My CPAP (actually an APAP) machine broke last night and i obviously need a new one.   I haven't been to the sleep Dr in years and they wont give me a script without an appointment - which they do not have on for over a month.

Therefore I must ask if anyone has found a reputable site online that sells new APAP machines without an Rx requirement or if anyone has ever had success with obtaining an Rx from an online service?

Thank you for any advice you may lend.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Buying a new CPAP without a prescription
Hi puppywhipped2016!  -  Welcome
You don't need a sleep doctor for a prescription.  The following can write one as well:
  •  Medical Doctor.
  •  Doctor of Osteopathy.
  •  Psychiatrist.
  •  Physicians Assistant.
  •  Nurse Practitioners.
  •  Dentist.
  •  Naturopathic Physician.

Some suppliers on our Supplier List do offer this service.  I haven't had any experience using them however.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another option is to check craig's list and find a used one with low hours.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve bought from a private party, but I have not used a suppler w/o an Rx.

If you have years of data to demonstrate successful compliance on an APAP that might help. I would think years of Rescan, or OSCAR/Sleepyhead, and an earlier sleep study would be needed rather than just showing up out of the blue with nothing.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
I just bought the DreamStation auto pap machine from Walmart and they didn't ask for a prescription. I really like the DreamStation and this is my second one (I bought it for a second home).
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought my current machine from a private party, and it all worked out very well. Others have already posted good pointers on this. I would just underline the point about checking the run hours on the machine to make sure it's what you're expecting. You might also ask whether the machine was ever used in a smoker's house, if you might have a problem with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as buying without a prescription is concerned. Dealers aren't likely to do that due to FDA regulations making them "prescription only". I'm surprised that Walmart did.

If your initial prescription was written for you in the past 7 years, then it should be on file with the original doctor under your medical records.
Records must be kept for 7 according to HIPPA-type rules. Maybe a copy of that would suffice.

When I recently obtained prescriptions, I asked my doctor to give me a paper prescription written as a "lifetime prescription".
I am hoping that will help me in the future and won't expiire after 12 months. (Some prescriptions do expire).

EDIT: More on Walmart. Their vendor terms and conditions explicitly prohibit prescription-only devices.
Section 1.12 here: https://marketplace-apply.walmart.com/re...reementDoc
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd stick with used. If you are paying out of pocket, this is a lot more cost-effective anyway. So many people do not follow up with their CPAP therapy that nice devices are pretty much always available. The problem is that some venues, such as ebay, prevent their sale. But you can get them on OfferUp or Craigslist. They are also on DotMed.

My insurance will pay 100% for a new machine for me, but they make me use it as a rental for months before they will do so (they pay the rent) and the don't allow me to change settings. Also all the DMEs around here only carry DreamStations, and I wanted a ResMed. So I told insurance to stuff it and bought a used one myself. New is overrated on this type of machine. I do have my insurance buy my masks, though. I also just *hate* the fact that the FDA won't let us buy machines without a prescription, so buying used is some kind of protest, even though I do have a prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a new Airsense 10 off Amazon without a prescription -- however, that was a couple of years ago and I don't know if that seller is selling in that manner. Might be worth a look, tho. It was a good price to boot, and I've had zero problems with the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-29-2020, 09:46 PM)NotADr Wrote: I bought a new Airsense 10 off Amazon without a prescription...

Just like Walmart, Amazon prohibits vendors from selling prescription-only devices.

See the first two sentences on their vendor rules and regualtions for restricted goods:
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help.../200164330

The sale of illegal, unsafe, or other restricted products listed on these pages, including products available only by prescription, is strictly prohibited.

I guess new vendors crop up from time to time and they temporarily break the rules before being caught and are asked to stop what they are doing.
Maybe it's accidental (which probably earns a warning) or maybe it's intentional (which may get them banned).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,526 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 792 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,981 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.