Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Buying from the USA
Buying from the USA
I've read a few posts around this subject and have visited 2 of the supplier's websites (listed on this board at http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List)

A couple of observations and questions:

* prices in the US seem to have gone up over the past year (and may well have done so in Australia too).
* does the power brick take care of the US-OZ voltage difference?
* any traps for the unwary that I may have missed?
* some US sites (OK one of the two I visited) require a prescription. Is there any way around that, or should I just find a supplier with whom a prescription is not required?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Buying from the USA
I have used supplier 2 for a machine. No prescription required at the time.
I use supplier 10 for masks, parts, filters and anything else. They have never asked for prescription.
Power brick on my resmed looks after the voltage change, I just used an old printer cord for the plug difference. (figure 8 plug)
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Nathan.

* Prices:  I haven't been following these but the relative value of the AU$ V US$ does fluctuate. In addition to the purchase price you need to allow for shipping and a $50 customs handling fee.

*  Power bricks are usually rated 110 -240v and are auto-adjusting. You'll need the figure 8 power cord which goes between the brick and the wall socket but you can pick these up at places like Jaycar for a couple of dollars.

* Traps:  You wont get any manufacturer support, even if you buy a Resmed made in Australia. If anything goes wrong you will have to send the machine back to the states for repair. You may or may not get support from your sleep clinic.

* Prescription:  Get your GP to write one. It doesn't go on an ordinary PBS script pad - he needs to put it in letter form stating his provider number. Try to get it as vague as possible (eg "autosetting machine of patient's choice plus mask and accessories).
Post Reply Post Reply
Fabulous.  Thanks everyone. Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE: I ordered a machine from supplier#10 and it arrived 4 days later. Amazeballs! Bought wipes and filters too though should have thought to get a few replacement memory foam cushions for the AirTouch mask.
I did have to pay the $80 "handling fee" that others have mentioned when importing to Australia. The supplier rang while the machine was still in transit and took that payment over the phone to 'expedite' delivery.
Post Reply Post Reply
4-days is pretty amazing delivery speed. Sounds like $80 well spent! Good to know Supplier #10 can deliver internationally.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just ordered from Supplier #10 and also saved 10% with this coupon BLOG10.

This forum is amazing!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #10 has worked well for me for international shipping when I got my 1st set of gear.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,526 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,981 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,083 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 638 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying used vauto with replaced motor? fishfinderG 1 577 12-06-2022, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.