Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

C-Pap use, heart and RVSP numbers
C-Pap use, heart and RVSP numbers
Hello,
I was dx with mitral valve regurgitation and my cardiologist told me that apnea causes the RVSP numbers to increase which was shown on an echocardiogram.  I started using a C-Pap recently and it supposed to reduce the numbers and was wondering if any of you have had this issue?
Thank You.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: C-Pap use, heart and RVSP numbers
AFAIK the RVSP is an indirect way of estimating the pulmonary artery pressure (PAP). Elevated PAP due to OSA is because of the hypoxemia/vasoconstriction that occurs when gas exchange is not proper.

Basically, during apnea/hypopnea, the reduction in airflow causes lower oxygen, and higher than normal elevations of carbon dioxide. This occurs chronically if you have untreated OSA, every night, and over time results in stiffening and dilation of the pulmonary artery, etc, causing your heart to work harder to produce the same work load.

Eventually your vascular system can remodel itself in a bad way, adapting as best as it can to this harmful process.

Proper OSA treatment puts an end to this vicious cycle. By fixing the hypoxemia, the vasoconstriction becomes reversed and with time the PAP should reduce to normal levels.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your encouragement.
Post Reply Post Reply
No problem. Stick with the therapy and let us know if we can help!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 96 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 475 04-19-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 218 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 396 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Do I need to tweak my numbers dharris01 6 239 04-15-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: dharris01
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 966 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 228 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.