Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

C-Pap vs Bi-Pap
C-Pap vs Bi-Pap
I'm sure I'm probably missing something here, but I'm not seeing any Bi-Pap discussions. Is this strictly a C-Pap site?

I'm about to get a Bi-Pap and I'm wanting to know if it is adjustable by me or do I have to bring it in each time for a change?

It also looks like I may get stuck with both machines and I'm wondering what my options are to unload the C-Pap.

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: C-Pap vs Bi-Pap
There are many of us here on Bipap. I am new to it last week.
I can adjust my machine. You can learn to adjust yours, but we need to be cautious because the Bipap is much more complex and may not be as intuitive as an Apap.

I have seen machines advertised on Craigs list. Also supplier no 2 may buy gently used machines. It depends on your situation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you adjust it yourself or do you need a Sleepyhead type of software? I would think that the software would enable you to read the chip (if any).

Phil

(10-28-2013, 12:10 PM)bwexler Wrote: There are many of us here on Bipap. I am new to it last week.
I can adjust my machine. You can learn to adjust yours, but we need to be cautious because the Bipap is much more complex and may not be as intuitive as an Apap.

I have seen machines advertised on Craigs list. Also supplier no 2 may buy gently used machines. It depends on your situation.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes you can adjust it yourself through the clinician settings on the machine.
You can request the clinician manual from this site.
If you get the newest ds960 ASV Sleepyhead does not yet work well with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, that's good to know.

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
As stated, a number of us are on different types of xPAP machines. I am on a bi-PAP made by Resmed that can do either 'spontaneous' or 'autoset', but can not automagically change the 'pressure support'.

Just like most CPAPs, most BiPaps can be adjusted via menus once you know the combo of key-presses to get into it. But BiPaps are more involved, terms like EPAP, IPAP, PRESSURE SUPPORT, etc.. and different machines will do different things.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a lot of us are guilty of referring to the therapy as CPAP even though there are other types of machines. I am on an automatic bipap and still call it 'my cpap.'
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2013, 03:57 PM)eviltim Wrote: I think a lot of us are guilty of referring to the therapy as CPAP even though there are other types of machines. I am on an automatic bipap and still call it 'my cpap.'

This is technically correct. The application of continuous positive pressure to splint the airway to reduce/eliminate obstructive apneas is CPAP.

What many are guilty of, mainly because the machine manufacturers lead us down this path, is treating "CPAP" as "fixed-pressure CPAP" and thinking that APAP and BiPAP (or VPAP) is different from CPAP.

Now, Auto-Servo PAP is truly another concept that only happens to look very very similar to BiPAP/VPAP except with an extra timer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup, Ron is quite correct:

Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) is what the treatment is, regardless of the machine doing it.

However, most do seem to drop into the mindset that the first "C" means constant... Constant Positive Airway Pressure and hence the often used reference to CPAP as a single pressure setting therapy.

From there we get auto-titrating (or auto adjusting) CPAP therapy via an APAP machine that adjusts the pressure as you need it throughout the night and often has a pressure reducing circuit for when you exhale...

Or for those who need a higher pressure or larger variation between inhalation and exhalation pressures you are into bi-level continuous positive airway pressure treatment via a BiPAP machine...

And finally we get to the Auto-Servo PAP machine which is essentially what you get when a CPAP machine has its way with a ventilator....still positive airway pressure, but also able to ventilate (or at least initiate it) when the central apneas take over and you don't breathe well for yourself when you sleep.

Of course, just to muddy the waters, many of the more capable machines can function the same as their "lesser" counterparts and run in a constant pressure mode or auto-titrating mode.

It can be confusing as hell, but the nice thing is that no one here will jump down your throat if you aren't 100% on your terminology...heck, we're not doctors and we're all just here to help each other out. If someone isn't clear what you mean, they'll ask Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, it's too late to muddy the waters or make things more confusing.

So, I currently have a Remstar "Auto A-Flex" set at 7 cfm. My test of the Bi-Pap was set at 14 inhale and 7 exhale. I still think that I need a little more inhale and a little less exhale.

Am I correct that a C-Pap cannot do this?

Also, without knowing how my new Bi-Pap will be setup, if I feel that I want to change the settings, can I actually do that without going back to school?

Phil

(10-29-2013, 04:25 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Yup, Ron is quite correct:

Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) is what the treatment is, regardless of the machine doing it. ...(Snip).........

...Or for those who need a higher pressure or larger variation between inhalation and exhalation pressures you are into bi-level continuous positive airway pressure treatment via a BiPAP machine... (Snip).....

......Of course, just to muddy the waters, many of the more capable machines can function the same as their "lesser" counterparts and run in a constant pressure mode or auto-titrating mode.

It can be confusing as hell, but the nice thing is that no one here will jump down your throat if you aren't 100% on your terminology...heck, we're not doctors and we're all just here to help each other out. If someone isn't clear what you mean, they'll ask Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.