Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: swift fx
Humidifier: resmed h5!
CPAP Pressure: 8 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
CA events recorded while awake
I've been using SleepyHead for a few days, and am curious about the report of CA events that have occurred while I've been awake and breathing normally (I think). I have a recurrent pattern: sleep for 5 - 6 hours, then wake up, stop CPAP, then start it again and try go back to sleep. Mostly I just lie awake with the machine on until I eventually give in and get up. Looking at the daily event graphs, when this happens there are a relatively large number of CA events recorded during the half-hour or so that I've actually been awake, breathing normally with the CPAP on. This doesn't appear logical; I may be missing something simple, but it seems to me that the graph should read flat during that time, as it does during the "going to sleep" period. The times when I have gone back to sleep for a half-hour to an hour or so, the AHI goes comparatively way up and many more CA events during that period. Interested to hear if anyone else sees this behaviour, and why that could be? I get a similar reading from ResScan. Using a Resmed AutoSet S9. Mike
11-23-2012 01:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: CA events recorded while awake
Normal, healthy, breathing patterns while awake will look like apneas to a CPAP machine. There's nothing abnormal about that. It's one of the limitations of the way CPAP machines detect apneas.

If you look at the airflow waveforms, you should be able to see that the events aren't serious in terms of duration of completeness.

This is one of the reasons it's necessary to have a CPAP machine that records airflow waveforms and full data collection.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
11-23-2012 02:14 AM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(11-23-2012 01:32 AM)mikec Wrote:  I've been using SleepyHead for a few days, and am curious about the report of CA events that have occurred while I've been awake and breathing normally (I think).
on occasion similar thing happen to me but with me its OA not CA

the machine just score an apnea and can not distinguish whether we,re asleep or awake
this would distort the data in some way but would just discard those awake events ... they,re meaningless unless happen during sleep
11-23-2012 02:59 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
bryank1 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 autoset CPAP
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro FX
Humidifier: Resmed HSi
CPAP Pressure: 9-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Wrist oximeter: CMS50IW

I had a lot of those the 1st 3 weeks. Still get them but not usually as bad. It's not uncommon to get them while still awake. I looked at my data closer and found some CA events actually started about 10-20 min. after putting the mask back on either at bedtime or in the middle of the night after removing the mask to go the the bathroom then restarting. For a while I was convinced I thought I was awake, but as nights went on and I looked at the data closer, I believe I was actually in a state between consciousness and unconsciousness (in the process of falling to sleep).
Look at the length of time of the CA. I think that is what you want to look at. If it were me, I would talk to my doc anything over 20 sec.

Did you get CA's in your sleep study?
11-24-2012 01:26 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Weird stuff also happens in the transition between wakefulness and sleep. Not really anything to worry about too much unless they're really bad.

Yet another reason you should look at the airflow waveforms to see if the events are long or "deep."

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
11-24-2012 05:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need opinions about breathing waveforms - REM sleep? awake? don't know? green wings 9 165 Today 01:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Respironics 9 minute cycle with no events. pixpop 2 92 12-06-2016 09:17 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  2015 peer reviewed article on how xPAPs score events and auto algorithms respond robysue 1 135 12-03-2016 07:48 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Events way too high! sfrasher 22 1,214 11-22-2016 06:35 PM
Last Post: sfrasher
  Am I awake? mcsheltie 4 241 11-14-2016 02:38 PM
Last Post: mcsheltie
Question A10 autoset in CPAP mode- all data recorded? PreciousRoy 3 251 10-31-2016 04:25 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Power Outage: Stay Awake Or Sleep W/O CPAP? player 11 721 10-26-2016 08:29 PM
Last Post: sonicboom