Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CA events recorded while awake
CA events recorded while awake
I've been using SleepyHead for a few days, and am curious about the report of CA events that have occurred while I've been awake and breathing normally (I think). I have a recurrent pattern: sleep for 5 - 6 hours, then wake up, stop CPAP, then start it again and try go back to sleep. Mostly I just lie awake with the machine on until I eventually give in and get up. Looking at the daily event graphs, when this happens there are a relatively large number of CA events recorded during the half-hour or so that I've actually been awake, breathing normally with the CPAP on. This doesn't appear logical; I may be missing something simple, but it seems to me that the graph should read flat during that time, as it does during the "going to sleep" period. The times when I have gone back to sleep for a half-hour to an hour or so, the AHI goes comparatively way up and many more CA events during that period. Interested to hear if anyone else sees this behaviour, and why that could be? I get a similar reading from ResScan. Using a Resmed AutoSet S9. Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CA events recorded while awake
Normal, healthy, breathing patterns while awake will look like apneas to a CPAP machine. There's nothing abnormal about that. It's one of the limitations of the way CPAP machines detect apneas.

If you look at the airflow waveforms, you should be able to see that the events aren't serious in terms of duration of completeness.

This is one of the reasons it's necessary to have a CPAP machine that records airflow waveforms and full data collection.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2012, 01:32 AM)mikec Wrote: I've been using SleepyHead for a few days, and am curious about the report of CA events that have occurred while I've been awake and breathing normally (I think).
on occasion similar thing happen to me but with me its OA not CA

the machine just score an apnea and can not distinguish whether we,re asleep or awake
this would distort the data in some way but would just discard those awake events ... they,re meaningless unless happen during sleep

Post Reply Post Reply
I had a lot of those the 1st 3 weeks. Still get them but not usually as bad. It's not uncommon to get them while still awake. I looked at my data closer and found some CA events actually started about 10-20 min. after putting the mask back on either at bedtime or in the middle of the night after removing the mask to go the the bathroom then restarting. For a while I was convinced I thought I was awake, but as nights went on and I looked at the data closer, I believe I was actually in a state between consciousness and unconsciousness (in the process of falling to sleep).
Look at the length of time of the CA. I think that is what you want to look at. If it were me, I would talk to my doc anything over 20 sec.

Did you get CA's in your sleep study?
Post Reply Post Reply
Weird stuff also happens in the transition between wakefulness and sleep. Not really anything to worry about too much unless they're really bad.

Yet another reason you should look at the airflow waveforms to see if the events are long or "deep."
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 66 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 145 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 9 225 03-12-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 229 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 725 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  CPAP CA Events brainfoggysleeper 2 207 02-29-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.