Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CA readings... Mouth Breather?
CA readings... Mouth Breather?
Hello All. 

I've been on a CPAP now for 5 days. After some difficulty, in the last 2 days, I have been able to spend full nights with my mask. I'm currently using the Dreamwear Nasal Mask. My sleep doctor wanted to start me on it but thinks that I might have to move to a full mask since he thinks i might be a mouth breather. I unfortunately am not sure. I started using the amazing app SleepyHead and have noticed that I've been getting more Clear Airway events. From what i've been reading (which hasn't been much) i believe that's confirming that I am breathing through my mouth. I've attached my results from last night, would anyone be able to help me confirm that? Thank you in advance for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CA readings in SleepyHead...Mouth Breather??
Based on that one chart you don't have a leak problem. Also you don't have very many clear airway events for that time span.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure is set to 5-20 with EPR at 3. Your median pressure is just over 7-cm. Your results are very good with AHI just over 1. My suggestion is that you cut your EPR back to 2. You just don't need 3-cm of pressure relief with such low pressures.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had set it on 3 because I was having a had time exhaling.  Felt like I was fighting the pressure too much.  Think it's worth setting it back to 2 again?
Post Reply Post Reply
No, go with the comfort. The minimum pressure your machine produces is 4.0 cm, so when you are at less than 7.0 cm pressure, you don't get the full 3-cam of EPR anyway. Your machine just starts out at 5/4, 6/4, 7/4 (IPAP/EPAP) pressure. Once you go above 7.0 cm the full EPR of 3 is in effect. If it's comfortable, it seems to be working fine, but it may add a couple CA to your AHI. Not a problem in your case.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider and Walla Walla for you insight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Figgy15, from what you've said I'm going to go out on a limb (I'm scared of heights so why do I always do this?) and assume that you (and your doctor) think you normally breathe through your nose.  If that is the case and you have leaks because of blowback through your mouth while you're sleeping, MHO is you should consider alternatives to the FFM, such as: cervical collars; chin straps; and even taping your mouth shut.
I'm not claustrophobic, nor am I opposed to those masks; I just find that less is more: less mask is more better. Laugh-a-lot

Of course, less chin-strap; collar; tape is more bestest.   Dielaughing

Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 12:33 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: Figgy15, from what you've said I'm going to go out on a limb (I'm scared of heights so why do I always do this?) and assume that you (and your doctor) think you normally breathe through your nose.  If that is the case and you have leaks because of blowback through your mouth while you're sleeping, MHO is you should consider alternatives to the FFM, such as: cervical collars; chin straps; and even taping your mouth shut.
I'm not claustrophobic, nor am I opposed to those masks; I just find that less is more: less mask is more better. Laugh-a-lot

Of course, less chin-strap; collar; tape is more bestest.   Dielaughing

Hope that helps.

Hi ShaunBlake.  So it's something i was thinking about.  Going to the Dreamwear full mask to cover my mouth as well.  I am claustrophobic which is why I decided to try the nasal mask first.  My doctor does believe I am a mouth breather and thinks I will need to go full mask, but was willing to let me try the nasal.  I woke up many times last night, mostly to change positions but also I'm thinking that during these events, it might be the blowback waking me up from opening my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I've read, the Dreamwear is very comfortable and might be a good one for you – except for the claustrophobia.  However, I suspect that anything on your face/head can trigger a claustrophobic reaction… I say this because of my own aversion to "stuff" on my body/face/head – and I think I'm not claustrophobic.

Yet you might want to experiment with alternatives to FFMs.  (The drawback being than you'll be out-of-pocket for whatever you try, and your DME should be able to provide a trial FFM without obligation to purchase.)
Post Reply Post Reply
If the chart you showed is your normal leak rate than your not mouth breathing during the night. If you have charts that show you leaking go ahead and post those if you can. also posting your statistics page from sleepyhead would help a lot also. I hate to see you spend money on a full face mask if it's not needed.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 79 Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 68 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 122 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 789 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 621 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 193 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 338 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.